• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New 2022 3500 Dodge Tradesman 6.7 HO Aisin ordered and coming in the fall ???

Turbo Terry

Can I use Mobile Delvac  1 synthetic 5/40 motor oil in it after break in and for its first oil change   Also what about Amsoil 75/140 severe gear grease in the AAM 9.25 front axle and the AAM 11.5 rear axle    I haul heavy 3000 lbs slide in truck camper ??

• Like 1

I bought a '21 Ram 2500 6 weeks ago. At 700 miles (empty) I changed the rear axle to Valvoline 75w/140, it comes with 75w/85. I tow heavy, 26k.

I am going to change the engine oil at about 5k miles, 3600 now. The book recommends 10w/30 for operation above 0 and requires 5w/40 below 0.

10w/30 is kinda rare around here so I ordered 10w30 Premium Blue synthetic blend from Speedway Motors, free shipping. 

I see no reason why you can't use 5w/40 year around, it is also way more popular and available. I am  new to all this so I am learning too. All my old diesels get 15w/40.

0605210553.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
add info/picture

22 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I just stick to the common  15w-40 but lot of people think they can extend the life on synthetics. Too many hotshots out there running petroleum that make extremely high mileages without any worry. 

The way I understand it, the '19+ Cummins "requires" the light weight oil for the hydraulic lifters. 

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wow. Learning something new. Kind of like some of the new cars I'm seeing with 0w-16 oil being used. 

They are running some pretty thin oils lately. Seems to me that once it is to thin there is a point to where it would no longer do what it's supposed to.

I guess with the thin oil, a higher volume oil pump and good pressure you still get the flowing fluid layer you need to lubricate bearings? 

Myself,  I'll stick with 15/40 but mine is an '01.

Edited by Doubletrouble
Spelling

I think the first oil change is 7500 ?  I have been doing 10k with the delvac 1 with a filter change in the middle at 5 k and add 

make up oil on my old 99 24 v.   I have 5 gallons of delvac 5 /40 on hand   Not cheap oil  new 2022 will take 12 quarts 3 gallons. I think the 75/140 severe will be a good thing in the rear  diff but what about the front? Probably need to let the gear boxes run in a bit first. 

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

The way I understand it, the '19+ Cummins "requires" the light weight oil for the hydraulic lifters. 

there was actually a TSB or recall (TSB 09-011-20) for the new Cummins trucks to have the oil swapped out. IIRC, it was actually causing damage to parts because 15w-40 is too thick(forms deposits actually). 

owners manual states 10w-30 above 0°F and 5w-40 below 0°F.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wow. Learning something new. Kind of like some of the new cars I'm seeing with 0w-16 oil being used. 

:stuned: :wow: so water or WD-40? Jeez. That's starting to get worryingly thin.   

2 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

I think the first oil change is 7500 ?  I have been doing 10k with the delvac 1 with a filter change in the middle at 5 k and add 

make up oil on my old 99 24 v.   I have 5 gallons of delvac 5 /40 on hand   Not cheap oil  new 2022 will take 12 quarts 3 gallons. I think the 75/140 severe will be a good thing in the rear  diff but what about the front? Probably need to let the gear boxes run in a bit first. 

Early oil change is not necessary per the manual. 15k, 1 year or if the oil change minder says to change. I figure 5k for the first one and 10k for the second one, then 15k. Fuel filters (2) required every 15k and they are spendy!!

75w/90 would be fine for the front. The manual says, 500 miles break in empty for the rear, before towing. I went 700, then got rid of it because I needed to tow. I will leave the front alone, for now. What bugs me, is the manual says change the rear axle oil every 20k, if you tow. My guess is, it has something to do with the water weight oil they recommend, 75w/85. 

I remember buying my 02 back in 01 worried about engine. Between the service techs and the owners manual they both said load it up and drive it. Good thing since I had strap my 12k 5th wheel to it and drive to NJ from SC. 537k miles later the only thing stopping it is flakey ECM. Of course l think things may have changed a bit in 20 years.

I have always ran my 99 Dana 70 rear and Dana 60 with 75/140 mobile syn.  Two 4 ounce bottles mopar limited slip in rear.  Never any issues or metal on the magnetic  etc. grease was always clean and smelled good. Only reason I went to Amsoil was i found a dealer who gave me good service.  Local places were always a bit iffy if they had it or enough.  So no friction modifier in the new truck I guess?and maybe no 75/140 in the front differentials.   New truck is going to be a whole new adventure.  Mostly I will just let dodge take care of it but I have all this oil and grease.  What to do sell it with the old truck or what?   Don’t want warranty issues.  My 1999 didn’t have a warranty very long.  This time I want it or have to have it a bit different 

15 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

So no friction modifier in the new truck I guess?

They still need it. In '19, Ram went to the clutch type limited slip. However, most quality gear oil has the additive included, just make sure.

I agree on the new adventure with the new truck, I have a lot to learn. My 1st and 2nd gens didn't teach me much about this new truck:) 

Edited by NIsaacs

On 7/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, Silverwolf2691 said:

:stuned: :wow: so water or WD-40? Jeez. That's starting to get worryingly thin.  

On 7/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeah I know... really thin...

That's why I have always used 75/140 in the engine.  It also is best for oil leaks because it solidifies before reaching the ground - doesn't stain my driveway.

Ok..., just kidding.

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

My 1st and 2nd gens didn't teach me much about this new truck:) 

Oh yes they did!  They were so reliable and did so much work for you for such a long, long time that you learned to replace them with another one!

- John

• Staff
On 7/13/2021 at 7:07 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I just stick to the common  15w-40 but lot of people think they can extend the life on synthetics. Too many hotshots out there running petroleum that make extremely high mileages without any worry. 

Please don’t do this. You will damage the 19+ lifters with that thick of a cold oil. 

On 7/12/2021 at 4:56 PM, Turbo Terry said:

Can I use Mobile Delvac  1 synthetic 5/40 motor oil in it after break in and for its first oil change   Also what about Amsoil 75/140 severe gear grease in the AAM 9.25 front axle and the AAM 11.5 rear axle    I haul heavy 3000 lbs slide in truck camper ??

What are the specs on the Delvac you gave? What rating does it meet. 

I know @NIsaacsput 75w-140 in his new truck, but there are VERY few people who warrant this with the AAM axles.  Unlike DANA, AAM doesn’t need thick gear lube to preform properly. 75w-90 is plenty for front and rear and all you should ever need in the front. Unless you live in/near Death Valley I wouldn’t consider a thicker lube. Possibly Amsoil 75w-90 up front and 75w-110 out back, but I would run 75w-90 in both, even with a 3K camper… especially in Alaska. 

Edited by AH64ID

I’m listening and paying close attention trust me.  What to do with the Delvac  and Amsoil   Next question please 

I’m sitting on $400 worth of Oil and gear grease what to do with It  I suppose sell it with the old truck a sweet deal

11 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Unlike DANA, AAM doesn’t need thick gear lube to preform properly.  

Ram recommends 75w/140 for the dually. Some guys use 75w/190 or 75w/250, Lol

I have read that Schaeffer's is marketing synthetic blend, that it holds the additive package longer than pure synthetic.

Ford recommends 75w/140 from F-250 on up, if you tow. This is in their Ford/Stirling axles or Dana.  

I think AAM in the Ram or GM place too much emphasis on fuel mileage than what is good for the axle. 20k oil change is nuts, but probably necessary, running 75w/85.

• Staff

Only on the 12.0” DRW, which is the HO. The SO DRW still gets a 11.5” axle, which has 75w-85 recommended. 

The 20K mile change is only necessary with their junk OE lube. It’s easy to get double, or more, out of quality gear lube. I went 50K miles on the lube in my 05 and it could have easily gone longer. 

I don’t think it’s too thin, it’s what they designed it around. DANA and Sterling designed theirs differently. I look at it the other way, requiring 75w-140 tells me they could have done a better job designing it. Thou I do understand the 12.0 DRW since it has a very high GCWR

@Turbo Terrywhat classification is the Mobil? It might work in the new truck. 

5 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Only on the 12.0” DRW, which is the HO. The SO DRW still gets a 11.5” axle, which has 75w-85 recommended. 

Here is a scan of my lubricant chart, no mention of SO/HO dually, just dually. It appears that the 12" also comes in an SRW

1991534662_Image(22).jpg.fd64dd2dad29b7fb5d8c6c432e93f9d1.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs