• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Elec help - no dash lights, no cruise control, no power to ODB etc…..

Hello,

I’ve got a 2001 3/4 ton 4wd auto quad cab diesel.  About a week ago I changed the lower and upper dash, heater core and clock spring.  My problems are the following items are not powering up.  Cruise control light will not come on, no lights in dash or cluster, (all gauges in instrument cluster work, odometer and trip meter work) ODB connector no power, dome lights not working (though they could’ve been out before the dash change). I’ve checked fuses for continuity in the fuse box in the dash.  I haven’t checked to see if they have power.  I’ve gone over all of the connections that i disturbed during the dash replacement.  The three connections on the back of the fuse box are the question mark in my head.  I’ve checked them - and they are all plugged in.  I’m wondering what would happen if i had plugged them into the wrong spot?  They are very difficult to get at when the dash is in.  When you remove the dash and it rotates down, you have better access through the back of the dash.  But - as far as i know they are connected in the right order.  Does anyone know the order by color?  They are brown white and blue if I remember correctly.  And that’s listed from the top down.    

One other related item.  Chime does not work when the lights are on and the key is removed.  Chime does not work when the door is left open with the key in the ignition.  Chime does work for indications on the instrument cluster.  My windshield wiper fluid bottle is empty.  It let’s me know this every time I start the truck.  So that part is working like it’s supposed to:)

Horn works, turn signals work, all exterior lights work like there supposed to.  Clock spring was changed due to airbag light coming on anytime i turned the wheel.  (I temp installed another one to see if it was the culprit for the cruise control - no joy)

BTW. No codes when the key is rotated three times.  Can’t use the ODB port due to no power.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.  I’m guessing that all of the items that are not powered are related to one item. 

Thanks,

Steve 

2CEF8BFF-077E-49CE-9C32-FB40EA6F3099.jpeg

• Staff

Mopar Man will have to jump in on this to help. Was everything working before upper and lower dash were replaced? If so it is something left undone or changed around, but I think it is a ground. A ground screw and wire perhaps. Did you check all fuses to make sure none are blown? I can only shoot in the dark on this one and hope you don't have to tear all the way back into it. Keep us up to date and I hope Mike will jump in here soon. 

As @JAG1mentions, a ground could be the problem.  It wouldn't hurt to recheck the wire connections - sometimes a terminal can be pushed back into to the connector and not make contact when the connector is reconnected.

Another place that could be a problem is right where the tilt wheel operates.  There are multiple wires there where the strands can break internally, but the insulation is still intact.  The problem is caused by lots of miles and years of operating the tilt steering wheel which flexes those wires.  I had a ground wire break at one of those connection points and caused an airbag light, no HVAC controls, abs warning light, and something else.  When I removed the six wire connector for repair, another wire fell off.  

Likely, it is related to something you did during the your repairs, just re-think it through and you may figure it out.

- John

• Like 1

Jag1,

everything worked minus the dome light and the lights by the mirror.  

Tractorman,

I rarely if ever use the tilt function.  I did have to disconnect them from the clock spring to drop the column and to change the clock spring.  I’ll look it over again.

Mopar man,

Where is the PDC?  I’m guessing its the box that is in the dash below the column and to the right?  I did have those connectors off.  I’ll probe the fuse box as suggested.

I’m off on a vacation starting tomorrow.  Won’t be around to work on the truck.  I’ll keep a check on the thread.  And when I have a chance I’ll update status.

thanks,

Steve 

3A4BB035-A947-4C87-8B6D-C637EA503315.jpeg

373D7A78-F7CF-4FDF-8E72-23C1945E6291.jpeg

AF47B2AF-DD6E-46EE-BA77-8521BD9448A5.jpeg

ED5C9DC2-B70C-4A28-B6F4-D6D6559D0AC8.jpeg

20 hours ago, GlasairIII said:

Where is the PDC?  I’m guessing its the box that is in the dash below the column and to the right?  I did have those connectors off.  I’ll probe the fuse box as suggested.

Fuse box under the hood is the PDC.. I think the one on the dash was just known as interior fuse panel?

How did you get the connectors out of the back of the interior fuse panel? When I tried when my brother and I did a dash swap and heater core replacement, I couldn't get a hold of the connectors to remove them.. Original plan was to remove the dash entirely to get some better working room. Then there were too many aftermarket wires for an amp that came with the truck but don't know if it even works. So tilted dash for the heater core it was.