• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nationwide Weather

• Staff

As soon as it reaches about 5 o'clock you can feel it cooling down very fast here in NW Oregon. In fact so much more so than the usual early September, more like October really. It's very nice. I wonder if this is an indication of a strong winter, of which we have not had for a very long time. I think I had better get more wood in.

@Silverwolf2691, we have never seen conditions so dry like they are. Oregon known for it's large forests, the trees all look stressed except where I irrigated for almost 6 weeks solid going down my road and around the yard. Oregon used to have vibrant green, look so alive but, now it's different and we have never seen this before. I would gladly take all the rain you can spare... thank you.

Thinking of a tarp in the truck bed, fill it up with water and drop the gate over some other trees.

I have seen a preliminary winter outlook through Facebook, but it was from someone I haven't heard of, so I don't know the validity of it. Summary was cold and stormy for the Northeast. Not sure what is in store for you guys on the west coast.. I'll see if I can find the post again and see what's up. 

Part of the cool down you are feeling might be just less humidity. When we had the extremely humid days around here overnight temps never got below 70, often staying around 75. Humidity goes away and low-mid 60's come back.   

• Staff
2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Thinking of a tarp in the truck bed, fill it up with water and drop the gate over some other trees.

I think most of the water would run off and not soak into the ground around the trees. 

1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Summary was cold and stormy for the Northeast.

I lived in Rhode Island for 20 years, Massachusetts for 1 and New Hampshire for another; it seams like every year was cold and stormy, that's why I moved to So Cal.

• Like 1

Last couple of years have been weird. Average in the high 30s for the majority of the winter. High enough that the ground didn't freeze and nearly no snow stuck around. Was cold enough to snow for a day  them 38-45°f the next days. Made plowing interesting, trying to not tear up lawn is an art when you are moving snow. And on top of that snow was a rare commodity in 2018-2019. 2020 was closer to "normal", We actually got a snow pack that kept the temps cooler along with some decent storms. (6-8 is decent, 8+ is a lot, anything above 15 inches shuts the state down for a day or two). 2019 had these stupid dusting-2" storms but they came through like every other day for two or three weeks straight. That sucked.

I like winter, but living on the shoreline if the temps don't get quite low enough we either get mix, sleet, or freezing rain. I'd rather have the snowpack cooling the air so it keeps the mix line south of us.. moving powder is much easier than rained on ice crusted mush. Full sleet is ok. It's little ball bearings of water that froze on the way down. Sleet gets a bad rap because usually its mixed with rain and freezes. Had a storm just make sleet when I was younger, dropped like 2 inches. never rained so it didn't freeze solid. Moved like snow but more fluidic... if that makes sense.           

• Staff

Okay! NOAA is seeing indications of a strong EL NINO this winter that Quite possibly could make up for all the rainfall shortages out west. This is good news except for potential mudslides. Excessively dry southern California may see lots of rain and some good size storms. They say it's been 4 years since they have seen conditions developing like it is. This good news.

Get firewood in

Go up check on the roof and flashings

Clean gutters

Spray concrete sealer on masonry chimneys

Do not park near any leaning retaining walls...:lmao:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Update on our drought; It has rained all night and my redneck rain gauge (cylindrical shaped coffee mug outside) is half full, over 1 1/2 inches. That's really cool because we've had no rain since june. It's coming down steady and hard. The drought has weakened the tress too and so the wind has broken a tree in half I'm afraid. I heard the crash last night. Next years firewood.

Glad to hear you got some rain @JAG1

Seems like my little area of the country has started the fall switch. Leaves are turning already and the 10 day has 70's and low humidity for us. Also hitting the last weeks of fair season, no more sled pulls after that. At least until next year...

Also heard that Yellowstone got its first snowfall already, Is that average or early? If anyone knows...

@Mopar1973Man, the wildfires slowly dying out around you?

• Like 1

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

@Mopar1973Man, the wildfires slowly dying out around you?

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

As far as visually the skies have been clear the last few days. Rained pretty good yesterday I went out with a friend to help gather lodge pole for his daughter to build a bunk bed. Then hauled to McCall with him for to deliver 3 cords of firewood in his 1994 Dodge Cummins (+140 HP injectors). Then came back home for a bit and had dinner with him as well last night. But here at my place its wet for sure and nothing will burn.

Our temps here in Visalia,Ca are slowly fluctuating to cooler temps. Had mid 80’s temps over the weekend. Mornings are 50’s and 60’s. Gonna hit high 90’s for a couple days this week but go back down. Evenings have been nice. Can actually go outside and enjoy the weather. In the past  September has always been a hot month. Temps don’t usually start doing this till about mid October. I’m hoping this is a preview to a wet winter. Fires are burning around us still so we definitely need the rain. My brother in laws folks had to evacuate their home last week. We’re fine done here in the valley just bad air. The cool mornings have helped though. 

• Staff

Update; well the storm total rainfall is a full 4 inches. :hyper: I don't think that's ever happened in Oregon in September. It's really good and to breath fresh air again. My trees also look more alive. It's really great and I'm very thankful. Keep the faith everyone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had snow yet?

Northeast with one or two rain storms went from summer to fall over night. But even fall is still on the warm side, 70s this week still. Supposed to be in the 60s for October. Lowest was 45°F so far, so I know frosts are going to be here soon. Still haven't turned the heat on in my apartment.    

Edited by Silverwolf2691

• Owner

Been running the heat pump for since about Sept 20th. Been dropping down low 40s here. Where I'm working at in McCall is getting quite cold too in the morning. So I get to try and sleep in being we all start later at almost 9am. This is to allow frost to break.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Here in N.W. ohio it's been a rather wet summer and early fall. Temps are in the 70's and haven't dipped much blow 60 at night yet. I expect it to change fast this year. 

Sucks to, had a chimney fire last spring, haven't been able to inspect and repair it yet so as a quick fix we will be switching back to propane for this winter. Chimney probably needs a liner installed. Just don't have the funds for that right now in this up and down economy. I haul cars and the auto industry is up and down with this chip shortage. Never know if we'll be busy next week or looking at possible lay offs