• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hot water heater pilot light issue

• Staff

We have an '89 jayco with a 5 gal. Hot water heater. The pilot light won't stay on after lighting, holding the button a couple minutes. It will just go out. I replaced the pilot light burner and thermocouple a year ago when the problem started and haven't had any luck with it. Didn't camp much last year so didnt worry about it (thanks covid). But now we have a couple trips planned and would like it to work. The electric part of the heater works but I prefer gas as it recovers faster.

• Owner

Is it electric ignition? (just for info value...)

Like my water heater is electric ignition and the ignition probe is used for whats called Flame Rectification. The ignition module can sense if there is flame contact with the ignition probe and it will continue burning. In my case I've got to clean that tip of the igniter of rust and it will continue to burn. 

Is if old school match light?

The themocouple has to have to have good contact with the main valve assembly to release the fuel valve. It could be a main valve issue since you replaced the thermocouple. But double check the connection to the main valve. If no love you might need a main valve. 

It would help to know what manufacture of water heater too. Atwood, etc.

Example...

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91602-Control-Valve-Thermostat/dp/B002UC18HU/

81F7fhWLbLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg