• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1500 5.2 auto no drive

My Brothers new to him 2000 1500 5.2 2wd auto of which he's had for maybe a month and I said it was a good truck (for a 1500) has just this afternoon stopped driving as in no drive forward/reverse any gear nothing but a horrible rattle whenever engine is started, this isn't a real metallic rattle it's more like a metallic rattle that has oil for lube if that makes sense

I towed him very slowly back to our workshop and got it onto the lift, dropped the pan and there is steel fillings in one spot at the front end of the pan slightly to the left side, I think the torque convertor is dead as it's been having a lockup wobble randomly, we changed all the solenoids/sensors etc in the pan 2 weeks ago to address a P1740 (IIRC). it wasn't changing into 3rd, it changed fine after everything replaced in the pan

So as I say I'm sure it's the torque convertor, oil is clear, no burnt smell, nothing slipping beforehand, got the starter off and flex plate good although I did think the convertor felt hotter than the rest of the trans but when it did fail he was 40mph down a slight grade so coasting really.

I wasn't prepared to run it on the ramps to test pressures as I feel the trans isn't toast and didn't want to pump steel everywhere

I'm going to pull the trans tomorrow

Am I missing anything ????

I hope it is the torque as a trans rebuild here in the UK is pants at best

2 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

In put shaft or stator/pump?

Looks like I get trans experience either way :doh:  all good for when mine ~~its itself but at least what you suggest is all at the front

Got it out yesterday and the torque convertor has no splines to drive the input shaft.  Pulled the trans oil pump and the bearing is damaged, seal needs replacing as thats not been put in very good at all and the machined surface that sits in the front clutch has a score in it but the bush in the clutch is fine with no damage at all.

Checked RA and they don't sell a complete pump just parts to repair

Found a trans parts supplier with all the parts to rebuild the pump called Global Transmission Parts so thats all ordered, Rockauto has a convertor so will order that today, going to pick everything up from our workshop and bring it back home so I can turn a bush and seal driver on my lathe

Input shaft is ok, where the input splines locate in the torque convertor has no spines.

Just ordered a good used pump with new bushing and seal installed as I'm not happy with this one as the bush is loose in the cover but I've also got a seal/bush kit and pump gears on order also so I'll see what the new bush is like in the old cover

20210722_141202[1].jpg

20210722_141222[1].jpg

20210722_141600[1].jpg

pictures not too good, I've just had a new mobile/cell phone and I can't use the thing

The smaller splines that are blurred you can see that there is no splines until further in where the input shaft doesn't reach

• 2 weeks later...

Started the job this morning at 10.00 am fitted a new torque convertor, new bush in the oil pump and a new seal, refitted the box, tested and all is good, box in and running by 3.00pm, finished testing and tidying up around 6.00pm. We have a lift but it is a 2 poster and only 3tonne so we only took the truck up about 2 or  3 ft, we had 2 wheel rims under each front wheel and wheel jacks under the rear, we need a bigger lift as I wouldn't feel comfortable under my truck on that lift or a workshop with a pit

Got a good strong magnet on the pan and we're going to drop it again on Monday as we've got some pan bolts to helicoil, we knew we had some that weren't great anyway everyone here has metric helicoils BUT no one has unc so had to order the helicoil kit, good reason to drop the pan and check for filings.

I'm going to look for a toasted 46re and put a rebuild kit in it to put on the shelf  as I want/need to do my 47re and it will be easier to do one beforehand

• Like 1