• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Doing a conversion from Auto to standard

The scrap yard guy told me he as a 96 dually he’ll strip it down so I’ll get the tranny,transfer case,drive shafts,cross members,clutch & pedals,stick shift for $3500. that’s Canadian his truck as 512K that sounds ok of a deal?

512k on the tranny and transfer is a lot, might need to look into a rebuild on the shafts, transfer case, and tranny.. other than that get the floor console and trash/stash bin from the interior to complete the conversion. Dont forget about a clutch either..

Someone else might know better than me but I think the nv4500s had the small input shaft as well that early in the second gens. 

Why is the truck in the scrap yard? Accident? 

Yep the guy told me it was a wreck,so in 96 the tranny shaft wasn’t very big maybe I’m better to find something newer & less K I’m in no rush my 47re as been rebuilt with a triple disc 10K ago just want to do the switch for kicks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wagntagn said:

Is the 4500 5 speed a good pick for the switch ?

If I were going to spend the time and money to do a swap to a manual transmission, I would skip the NV4500 and go for a NV5600 or a G56 six speed (both more heavy duty and more reliable than the NV4500).  Both six speeds have a close gear ratio which gives you the proper gear for any driving situation.  Plus, you don't have to worry about when the fifth gear nut breaks or falls off (NV4500).

- John

• Like 1

Is the g56 able to swap straight into a nv5600 truck? Sorry @wagntagn but I had to ask.

2 hours ago, Tractorman said:

If I were going to spend the time and money to do a swap to a manual transmission, I would skip the NV4500 and go for a NV5600 or a G56 six speed (both more heavy duty and more reliable than the NV4500).  Both six speeds have a close gear ratio which gives you the proper gear for any driving situation.  Plus, you don't have to worry about when the fifth gear nut breaks or falls off (NV4500).

- John

Is the g56 a straight swap in for a nv 5600? Sorry @wagntagn I had to ask.

@Tractorman has a point. Both the NV5600 and G56 are heavier duty, more reliable is up to driving style.

NV4500s have a gap between 3rd gear and 4th gear (god that feels a lot larger driving it...)

1st - 5.61

2nd - 3.04

3rd - 1.67

4th - 1.00

5th - 0.73

NV5600

1st - 5.63

2nd - 3.38

3rd - 2.04

4th - 1.39

5th - 1.00

6th - 0.73

G56 - two different gear sets apparently. Quote from Cummins Forum:

Two different transmission gear ratios are used. To verify, look at the last two letters on the transmission bar code label. The last two letters on the bar code located on the right side of the transmission will be AD or AE.

AD        AE
1st - 6.29       5.94
2nd - 3.48     3.28
3rd - 2.10       1.98
4th - 1.38       1.31
5th - 1.00       1.00
6th - 0.79       0.74

Downfalls are the NV5600 is heavy and discontinued, so parts are getting scarce. but its stronger than an NV4500. G56s are an aluminum cased transmission that is prone to cracking if you do a lot of racing, boosted launches, etc.

@dripley, its not a bolt in affair. I think TFaoro dauntless89 on CF put one in his truck. Had to modify the crossmember due to the size of the transfer case. The NP271/NP273 are the only strength upgrades from an NP241DHD. They are the same transfer case but the 273 I think is the electric shift, with the 271 being lever shifted.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/so-you-think-you-wanna-g56-your-4wd-12v.1425954/

• Like 3