• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thinking about getting a 3rd gen.

• Staff

Just spending a fifth of what a new trucks costs would build a far more reliable upgraded 2nd gen. Easier to work on and you also know the truck well. Put the savings into a Lithium mining company for electric cars batteries :thumb1:

47 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

In my opinion it's a stepping stone, I don't think it's the future. Be careful... 

Lithium is not a long term solution,  I am betting within 10 years lithium batteries will no longer be used for new EV's.  There is a SERIOUS influx of cash being poured into EV.  That cash means research and development.   This is going to lead to better technology, always has always will.  

it's gonna be hard to know where to stick investment $$ before the tech comes out, it will be very hush hush.   

Anyways Even though we bought a new truck we bought a base model,  My 2000 had more "opitions" than our current truck. I think that leads to less issues,  there isn't much in the truck that hasn't been well tested over the last 3 decades.   Thankfully the wife was on board when i told her the more fancy stuff we get the more is likely to break or have issues.   

Put some cash into the 2nd gen hopefully it keeps going for awhile for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Worth noting that seeing some of the truck owners, people with older trucks that are kept so nice and built so beautifully that I find myself taking a closer look while the new ones get ignored. Not on purpose mind you, just there's something about a well kept older rig that's very impressive.

Edited by JAG1

Told my son a couple months ago I might drop 10k on my truck after I retire. Pretty much told me I was crazy. Then he found a deal on a 98 model S10 pickup for 800 bucks. He loved the S10's several years back and I believe he has caught old truck bug just like his daddy. I am loving it.

• Like 1

• Staff
18 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

@AH64IDare you saying that if a person were going to purchase a 3rd gen, stay away from 03-07?

No, 03-04 are very solid 5.9s'. Even 04.5-07's are good engines, but they are more prone to piston problems than any other generation. 

I'd rather have a 3rd gen 5.9 than a 3rd gen 6.7, especially if you live somewhere you can't delete. 

• Like 1

• Owner
21 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I'd rather have a 3rd gen 5.9 than a 3rd gen 6.7, especially if you live somewhere you can't delete.

Two methods of deletes. 

1. Physical deletes of the emissions
  2. Software delete of the emissions

When you do the software method nothing is removed from the truck so it visually passes the inspection. Software is turned off to all the emissions systems. It will still regen but much much less. I will not suggest any physical deletes because of the amount of equipment that is removed and will not pass a visual inspection. I've done it both way now and software method is the fastest and easiest to do just need to flash the ECM with a delete tune. 

If for any reason you need to return to OEM stock tune the tuner will flash it all back to functional. All the emission system will be back on line. Takes less than 15 minutes to do.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As far as I know the regen will still occur but much much less... EGR is turned off and not used. No codes will be thrown.

Correct you can turn the EGR down, or off, but that's still not considered a delete. A delete is the removal of the equipment. 

On the 13+ trucks I don't think you can get around the 24 hour run time regen, but then again the 13+ trucks don't use much fuel at all to regen.