• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Interesting EGT's

Lately I have noticed my EGT's are not very high. I have been driving really slow for a long time but ever since I took everything off (fan, shroud, all of it) my EGT's are really low. There is a steep hill here and I went up it and pressed down until it hit 30psi (wastegate not open) and just stared at the EGT gauge, and it stopped at 950F. It was 70F outside.

You just had to ask :lmao:After driving it at 55mph (~575F) I have pulled into the driveway and idled for 5 min and it was ~350F. It's been that way since the beginning of time. Idling doesn't have any boost or wind through the intercooler so it relies solely on just pushing the air out of the engine, that's where having only 12 valves shows its ugly face. I have watched the 24V here drop the EGT's at an insane rate, I can't accomplish anything like that. I notice they will drop down to like 250F after just a minute goes by. I was contemplating putting a 24V head on mine for that reason. Another thing is the 12V has thicker exhaust manifolds, I figured it retained more heat than a 24V and radiated it to my probe at idle. Mine is also set to idle around 650, so I don't have as much air going through it, maybe idling it up would do something :shrug:

At idle my EGT's are the same with or without the fan/shroud. I am thinking the results might be more towards my wastegate setup allowing me to build 30psi faster since the wastegate stays completely closed until I hit 35.

• 2 weeks later...

From the factory, the 12 valvers, were never meant to see 30 psi of boost.

Maybe, but they overbuilt them enough that they can handle up to ~45psi without any issues. You would need a different turbo to reliably do 45 but even mine has seen over 40 when I was messing with the wastegate.

I just went on a 400 mile trip to St. Joe State Park with the trailer and all and I was in a hurry to get there and ride so I was doing around 65-70 the entire way. I never saw the EGT's get above 1000. They would hover right under 1000 though. Pretty amazing since there are several very long steep (maybe 5-7% grade) hills down towards rolla that I was keeping it at 65 on. Boost was around 20psi on those hills. I drove like that all the way there and all the way back. This will actually be the first tank I have done that is with only the trailer, so I can finally see what I get driving like that and pulling it around.

Hey ISX... How did you do for MPG number on the trip towing? Also I'm curious did you have any problems with engine temp without your fan in place?

I'm topping off tomorrow, then I will have the numbers. I ran 2 stroke for the first time in a while for this tank too.. Should be good. I didn't notice anything at all with engine temps. I used to be paranoid thinking I might get into some traffic jam but it has become obvious that the only time the engine and A/C needs it is under 10mph, maybe even 5mph. I turn the A/C off at stoplights since everything up there just heats up with no air going through it, but you have to sit there a long time for the engine to start heating up. It was 85F coming home and I was running around Jefferson City with the trailer, up short steep hills, stop signs, stop lights, never heated up. That shroud seems to block flow and you only benefit from that shroud when the fan is actually engaged from what I can tell.

I need to test mine because I swear it as a 3GSK in it. I just don't know if anyone ever swapped out the springs and don't know any way to check other than a spring compressor. Never had any issues though so :shrug:, wait till one arises I guess.

• Owner

Hmmm... Nice trip to Ontario / Boise... The temps are getting cooler in the mornings and evenings... Like yesterday it 43*f to start and this morning is frosty and 34*F out (Brrrrr!). But I was running the fuel saver rountine 55 MPH and staying aware of road conditions and such. Well watching the EGT's typically on flat ground I was seeing 500-550*F on the highway. But now hit the city and drive traffic I would be lucky to get over 400-450*F at 35 MPH in Boise... Most of the time I pulled into a parking lot it was at 350*F or lower... I did really good going down to Boise at about 22.6 MPG (SGII) but my return trip bucking a wind I had a tough time keeping the pyro below 600*F at all. It wasn't a hard wind but just constant so by the time I hit home I was at 19.5 MPG (SGII)