• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High IAT, Low Power, Low Boost

Hello All,

its time for another problem.  I have an 01 2500 (DFI 7X009 injectors, DTT Trans with 89% converter, 3.55 gears, 265/70/17 Tires) and I recently removed my stock exhaust manifold and Hy35/9 turbo and AFE air filter and replaced it with an Insta-Spool Super 9 turbo, ATS 3 piece exhaust manifold and a Power Driven Diesel Dust Bowl air filter.  After installing those items I took it for a test drive and all was good.  Spooling was nice and had about 38 psi max boost and EGT's were higher than I thought they should be,  950-1000F at 65 MPH on flat ground no load. I called Power Driven Diesel and asked about the boost numbers and EGT's and they asked me to increase the W/G spring tension by 3 turns.  This netted me 45 PSI and 900F.  Over the next few days I have noticed excess smoke, rising EGT's, rising IAT's lowering boost numbers.  When Pulling my 5th wheel, about 8,000 lbs, on flat ground at 65 mph I had 1250F and 10 PSI.  At this point I was not monitoring IAT's.  Well that did not seem right so I called Power Driven Diesel again and they asked me to put my AFE air filter back on.  I did and no change.   I started trouble shooting and noticed with my Torque App my Throttle position would only read 68% when I was at WOT

After some research I found others were reading the same so I borrowed my buddy's Scan-tool and the throttle %'s and it read 0 and Idle and 100% at WOT.  I did a cylinder deactivation and looked at the load values for each cylinder.  with all 6 running my load was 15% and each time I dropped a cylinder it would read 18-19%.  I feel that it is consistent so that is good. This is when I started monitoring IAT's. when pulling my 5th wheel I would see 155F on flat ground at 65 mph I had 1250F and 10 PSI.  I read that if my POP pressure was low it could cause the symptoms that I was seeing so I pulled my injectors and took them to Valley Fuel injection and they tested at 270-280 range.  I have them adjusted to 300 and new coppers and seals.  when I installed the injectors I adjusted my valves and all were with in 0.005" of spec.

With the valves adjusted and the injectors back in, she idled smoother, ran quieter and revved a bit faster.  On a test drive I noticed lower power IAT's 155-160F throttle position was higher to maintain 65 mph and more smoke, 1300 EGT 10 PSI.

Tonight I replaced my IAT sensor with a Napa one and no change in IAT readings.  I did get a low boost P0237 and P0113 IAT Sensor 1 circuit high.  On this test I could not get over 55 mph and max boost was 28 psi and EGT's 1400F.

Things are going down hill fast and I need HELP.

Any Ideas?  Sorry for the long post but trying to give you all the info I can.

TIA.

• Owner

Did you check the wire between the IAT sensor and the ECM? If there is a wiring issue say the common sensor ground being bad it can and will alter the IAT signal. 

TIP: If the IAT is disconnect it will max out the temp at 240*F. So weak connection will cause the value to be high. This is because the +5V signal and sense is on the same wire and requires the ground to pull it back down. If the sensor shorts to ground it will show -40*F. Your case is a bad sensor ground or bad ECM ground. 

TIP: Do the WT ground wire mod this will ensure the ground to the ECM ground and sensor grounds are good. 

Me78569,  Mopar1973Man,

I will reconnect my TST PM3 tonight for the boost fooler and see how that goes.

I will also find and do the WT Ground wire mod. this weekend.

Hopefully This is my problem

Ok, Boy do I feel foolish, Did not even think about the Boost fooling.  I plugged in the TST PM3 box and Boost is back, EGT's are still a bit high, 1175-1250F towing, and IAT are 145-155F. 

Going to do the WT mod, just not this weekend. had to go int work today.  Also will check the wiring for the IAT.

Question,  How come my IAT ad EGT were high is the ECM is pulling fuel without the boost fooler?

Part super 9 turbo, part high boost i think. What psi are you seeing now?  The tight housing of the super 9 is raising backpressure and egts. I know the normal HX35 is good up to 35 psi but idk if thats the wheel or housing or both that drives that limit. Over 35 psi for a normal HX35 and it starts pushing overheated air. 

Silverwolf2691,

On a WOT pull from a stop while pulling my 5th wheel I would see 45 psi briefly and 40-42 consistently until i back out of the throttle.  Speaking with Bradly, the manufacture of the super 9, he stated that 50 -55 psi is the limit for this turbo.  I would like to install a drive pressure gauge and see where I am at for Drive/Boost ratio.

Brian