• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My first explosive tire failure!

• Owner

Well I've been busy doing a side job with my crew. This property is owned by one of my crew. He's got a bunch of old cars we've been moving and clearing the land after his house fire. Well after long day I unhitched from my boss'es goose neck trailer (Big Tex dump bed) which we thought we would use for moving small material. When I left I had to travel over to the dirt track we were using and back out to the main road. In that little bit of time I must of picked up a roll of barbed wire. Windows were rolled up and A/C on. I never heard a single thing. 

BOOM!

I'm made it about 40 miles before it blew the tire...

20210804_162310.jpg

Yup a massive hair ball of barbed wire. The only thing I didn't have on the truck was a jack. I had to call a buddy near home to come out and bring a jack out for me. After getting the tire off I was faced with this and got my dike's out and kept cutting the wire off. I was super lucky my brake line is not damaged at all.  Once I got it all cut free I was able to kick the wad with my boot and it fell off. 

20210804_165130.jpg

Yup... The bard wire ate the inside wall of the tire blowing it out. This is my FIRST explosive tire failure in my life. After driving 35 years!

20210804_165117.jpg

I'm forced now to go to Parma, ID today and go get my 17 wheels I made a deal with my buddy down there for the set of 4 steel wheels with center caps. Then later on this morning call my other buddy at Chevron have him order my Hankook ATm's for Thor. I'm going back to stock 265/70 R17.

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm glad I was driving slower and on a straight away when it blew out. Just a sudden BOOM! dropped to the ground drop the throttle and let it unwind to about 10 to 15 MPH limp the road side and whip into the storage units there in New Meadows, ID. But yeah that was my FIRST tire blow out in all the miles of driving trucks and cars. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Well I made my trip down with The Beast and got my 17 wheels and center caps. I've got a appointment in Riggins, ID by 12 noon to have my new 265/70 R17 installed. I got the Hankook ATm's. At least Thor will be ready for this winter with fresh rubber.  

20210805_184025.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner
3 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Glad to see you didn't get hurt or tear anything up real bad other than the tire Mike. 

One day I'll get smart and keep a jack on the truck but I need to buy just a bottle jack for the tool box. Floor jack is just too big and too easy to steal out of the bed of the truck.

• Owner

Back to stock size. 265/70 R17 on 2010 Mopar factory steel wheels. Thor has new shoes to run the pavement and back roads! I've got a few studs to replace and I need to order up a set of stock lug nuts. Then I can put the center caps on as well. I did find a eBay seller that had factory 1/2 x 20 bulge lug nuts full set of 32 lugs for mere $20 dollars. 

20210807_120534.jpg

Now to ditch that stupid 2 inch leveling kit next. The front is higher than the rear. Being all the steel tools in back is squatting

During the install I had 4 lugs that absolutely ruined the studs and then broke one on the driver side rear. . 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now to ditch that stupid 2 inch leveling kit next. The front is higher than the rear. Being all the steel tools in back is squatting

What's the matter Mike? Don't you like watching the Piershide Meteor shower while driving with a load in the rear? :lol:

• Staff

Ouch!! 

Drove by your place Friday and saw Thor in the driveway. I had been hoping to catch you before you bought the 17’s and try to talk you out of them. Too little load rating for these trucks, but I’m sure you’ll be fine now that you have them. Just know that it’s very easy to exceed the tire rating on 17’s and a 3rd Gen truck. It’s why I went up to 19.5’s. 

Gonna feel those low G56 gears with stock tires, but pulling the 2” level will really improve the ride. 

• Owner

New rubber done already. I'm much happy with the lower ratio nearly the same as the 2002 Dodge. Just a touch higher RPM about +100 more at 65 MPH compared to 2002.

Every where I went trying to get 18's for the old wheels was about 600 to 800 dollars higher. Now just doing stock 17's I can do for just a mere $1,000. 

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

New rubber done already. I'm much happy with the lower ratio nearly the same as the 2002 Dodge. Just a touch higher RPM about +100 more at 65 MPH compared to 2002.

2100 on the 06 vs 1940 on the 02, so pretty close. It does make for a great hill pulling rpm in 6th with the G56. Once you get that 06 tuned  it should do a lot better on fuel at 65-70 too, timing falls off pretty hard in that speed. 

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Every where I went trying to get 18's for the old wheels was about 600 to 800 dollars higher. Now just doing stock 17's I can do for just a mere $1,000. 

$1050 is what I paid for my Cooper AT3 XLT’s in 275/70R18, but I was able to wait for a sale. Currently they are $1325 for all 4 out the door, compared to $975 for 265/70R17. Stock sizes shouldn’t be 600-800 more, what size 18 were you looking at? 

• Owner

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Once you get that 06 tuned  it should do a lot better on fuel at 65-70 too, timing falls off pretty hard in that speed. 

No joke. Truck does really good around McCall with speeds choked down to 45 to 50 MPH. Makes big gains in MPG's. Even show better now the speedometer is correct now. 

The biggest problem up here NO ONE has 18's in stock. Not even take offs. I check several tires shops around me and nope nothing in stock all has to ordered in. 17's are more common up here than 18's. 16's are super common yet easy to get too and about another $400 less than the 17's. I can buy four 245/75 R16 for $600 here (just 2 years ago). Just paid $1000 for 17's. Remember I'm not in the city where you have selection and price competition. 

• Owner

Very rare to head toward Ontario, OR. or Boise, ID It's been months since I've been down there other than pick up the wheels. I do most of my travels to Lewiston ID now. But very limited on tires shops. After 5 years of back and forth to Ontario it does bring back old memories sometimes. Hence why a tend to go north and make my own memories now. Even in Lewiston when I checked no 18's in stock all have to be ordered. No take offs either. Kind of like my trip home I crossed the construction site at Cambridge ID and remembered how much @MoparMom hated that bridge I even said, " Hey look Mom finally getting to fixing your bridge you hated so bad!", it had a bad bump! RIP - Rosalie Krivda (Mom).

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2