• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Few random questions..

Adding to the random questions.. How screwed is someone who doesn't have the data plate on the timing case?

Because I'm someone... I think the timing cover got replaced with the updated version and whoever did the job did not swap the data plate..

I found a sticker on the top of the oil cooler boss but it's 7 numbers not 8, so I don't know if that's something different or not..

is it possible to get a replacement? I'm guessing not because its similar to a VIN plate, and I think reproduction of those is illegal.    

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know where else to put this, so its going here..

I'm going to be selling my 2019 2500. Learning a life lesson in the money area and it's that just because you have the money doesn't mean you can get the expensive toys. Situation boils down to a not refined enough budget and you cant plan for unexpected costs. 

To have a spare vehicle, my brother has a 99 1500 SCSB, 5.2, 5 speed, and 3.55s that he got for cheap because it needs a clutch or throw out bearing. We/he hasn't had time to dig into it so its been sitting for a while. He's willing to sell it to me for $600. Besides the clutch, it also needs tires, current ones wont make it through winter. Which brings me to my question: @Mopar1973Man

Does the final drive ratio of 3.55-3.73 also hold true for the gas trucks as well?

I used to have an 01 ram 1500 sport off road edition before I had my Cummins, it got 11 mpg pretty much everywhere. Kicker was it came with 4.10s factory. I'm trying to squeeze a bit more out of this one since its going to become my daily. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

How did you end up figuring it out for the Cummins? Trial and error?  

3 ways

1. Build sheet by vin number
  2. Turn the rear wheel and count the number of times the driveshaft turns
  3. Open the diff and divide the number of pinion teeth into the number of teeth on the ring gear.   
Edited by JAG1

• Owner
1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

People forget I deal with hundreds of Dodge Cummins trucks. I've seen the absolute worst with 37 inch tires on 3.55 gears. I've help several get 18 to 21 MPG with bad set ups. Yes final ratio makes a huge impact. Like Beast with 245s which lands me at 3.69. Like my last high mark at 28.04 MPG. Then fix Thor with 33 inch tires and brought it back to 3.73 final and gained 4 MPG putting me close to 19 MPG.

@IBMobile

Yep. I have been playing around with it and it seems like the tire size and gears have the fixed ratio between themselves.

What I was asking Mike about was if the same tire sizes would match up with a gasser.

The NV3500 in the ram 1500's has much different gears than the NV4500. Plus with the gasser having a different powerband I was curious if the knowledge needed tweaking or could be applied properly. Because the 245s would match up with what Mike put via the calculator.

Maybe I'm gonna be the guinea pig to see how this translates for the gasser community..     

• Owner
2 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

What I was asking Mike about was if the same tire sizes would match up with a gasser

Yes. The calculation is the same for gas or diesel. Just Cummins does better around 2k RPM at 65 MPH. I was running the same ratio on Lil' Red. 215/85 R16 on 3.55 put nearly the same like 3.65. On Lil' Red the 4 speed auto is taller in 4th. So the out come it a bit lower RPM.

• Owner
5 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

People forget I deal with hundreds of Dodge Cummins trucks. I've seen the absolute worst with 37 inch tires on 3.55 gears. I've help several get 18 to 21 MPG with bad set ups. Yes final ratio makes a huge impact. Like Beast with 245s which lands me at 3.69. Like my last high mark at 28.04 MPG. Then fix Thor with 33 inch tires and changed back to 265's brought it back to 3.73 final and gained 4 MPG putting me close to 19 MPG.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I owned a '95 K1500 Suburban, 5.7L, auto trans, 3.73 gears (I think) for over 10 years and put almost 100k miles on it. Always had load range E tires on it for some reason. When my mixed mileage dropped below 16.5 MPG I began looking for problems.

Are the older Dodge gassers really that thirsty that 14 MPG is something to brag about?

48 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Are the older Dodge gassers really that thirsty that 14 MPG is something to brag about?

I had a 1998 half ton gasser with v6 and it avaraged around 18, I also had a tundra in that year range with a V8 that averaged 18 with way more power, hand calculated.

Forgot to say 1998 was a Dodge ram 1500

@LorenS yes they are, within reason. The truck I had had 4.10s and 285/70r17s. Perks of the off road package.

I had done a fair amount to it to try and fix some of the issues that were inherent to the motor in an effort to get better economy and a bit more power. None of it really worked.

Then come to find out recently, some of the things I had gotten for the truck weren't the best for it, specifically the guy I got the tune from. Tuning philosophy was just add fuel every where. Even with a cat, my truck smelt rich. Think car show muscle car.    

Only time I got above 11-12 mpg with it was two highway only runs. Got 13.9 and 14.1 going from Essex, CT to East Stroudsburg, PA and back for fireworks. It was a tank down and a tank back. 13.9 was 70-75 down, 14.1 on the way back was my best friend driving at 65-ish. Cops don't like explosives going across state lines.. Didn't want to attract attention to us.