1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

No problem @JAG1. Hardest thing with text only based communication is implying any emotion. Got into trouble with my ex girlfriend on more than one occasion because of that. And different phones had smileys/emojis show up wrong. My Android phone to Her Apple phone.   

:smart:

• Like 1

• Board Of Directors

Ah, now I see.... Mopar man when he calls or I call him we jokingly call each other names. It's pretty funny so I was hoping to get a rise is all. Not lately, I think he has lots going on making life a bit less light hearted. I think he needs to go to dieselfutures beer cave for a long visit.

• Administrator

Has any one done 400+ miles in just a half tank of fuel? Yes tires and gear ratio have huge effect with custom tuning. Something you can do with diesel but not gas.

From Casade ID to Stanley ID then all the way home.

20210910_175902.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 6:38 AM, Silverwolf2691 said:

Does the final drive ratio of 3.55-3.73 also hold true for the gas trucks as well?

What I have always looked for when looking for engine performance in a vehicle is, "what will be the engine rpm in a specific gear at a specific highway speed that I would drive at based on a specific engine (gas or diesel).  Engine performance charts are the place to get this information.  At minimum, I would want to know at what engine rpm is peak torque and peak horsepower.  Engines typically perform best just above their peak torque rpm, or at least around their peak torque rpm.

For example, my stock '02 Cummins is 245 hp  and 505 lb/ft of torque.  The horsepower rating is at 2900 rpm and the peak torque rating is at 1600 rpm.  This is why engine rpm's between 1800 and 2000 work well with @Mopar1973Man's final drive ratio recommendation.

A '99 Ram 5.2 gas engine specs are 235 hp and 300 lb/ft torque.  But the horsepower rating is at 4400 rpm and the peak torque rating is at 3200 rpm..  In general, this would tell me that a rear axle ratio of 4.10::1 would be more suitable because of the peak torque rpm.  Knowing every gear ratio for the transmission and tire diameter will be key for getting this right.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
double post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrator

:iagree: TOTALLY AGREE! :iagree:

Being I'm in the mountains and do a lot of up and down grades I feel the 3.73 ratio is really optimal for power and MPG wise. Even towing is better. If your more midwest I would still hang towards the 3.73 ratio but not as tight being I've done 27.2 MPG on stock tires and 3.55 gears (Edge Comp, +75 HP injectors, and stock HX35W turbo).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

First row is gears for a 1500..

Steepest grade around here is an 11 or 13% and its less than a half mile long.. otherwise just small rolling hills and flatlands..

@Mopar1973Man the custom tuning can still be done on the gassers but its not able to be done on the fly like we can with a Quad. They are are also mostly in for power not economy. No shift on the fly either.. Think smarty S-03.. 

Ive gotten 300 miles by half tank once in my cummins. Between the nearly all in town driving, 4.10s, and 285/70r17s im not set up for economy so that felt good.. But i cant seem to get the oil temps where they should be. On a highway run they can start pushing 210*.

Screenshot_20210911-145333_Chrome.jpg