• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGR & DPF DELETE

Jeff Eady

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2008 Dodge 3500 6.7 4x4 6 speed. The truck is bone stock with 158k. Just wondering your thoughts on deleting and tuning the truck. I have done a little research and I'm not sure if I can even purchase the parts to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Jeff Eady

• Owner

Be aware any vehicle deleted physical no dealer will allow it to be bought or sold. If you live in a "smog controlled" county or state you could be in trouble as well. I would rather software delete it so visibly the truck is complete when inspected. The tuner will give a bit more power and better timing.

There is delete tuners out there that delete out most of that software to no use the devices. It will still re-gen but much, much less.

Here is a trick. Like I've done this on a Ford 6.0L is pull the EGR cooler and put freeze plugs in the exhaust passage of the cooler. No longer flows any exhaust gases but the ECM still thinks it working. This could be done on Cummins as well by making a steel gasket without the passage holes. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would rather software delete it so visibly the truck is complete when inspected.

Be aware that emission testing in California now test the ECU/PCM for none CARB approved programing.  If unapproved  software is found the vehicle will fail even if the exhaust gases meet standers.   The ECU/PCM must be returned to factory specs before retesting can be preformed.  In the future, other states are sure to incorporate this software test in their emission inspection.   

• Owner

Even the tuners I've used in the past you can return to pure stock as long as all the equipment is present. If its deleted you will be in a huge bind to return all the hardware back to the truck. This why I prefer the software delete method being it just a matter of about 15 minutes and its back to pure stock and all the smog equipment is present. 

Disclaimer ---> I DO NOT suggest or even recommend any kind of hardware delete on any vehicle there is better ways of handling this issue.

• Owner

Call DAP and talk to them...  They have tuners that can do such a thing.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Eady said:

Thanks guys. I'm in Tennessee but my county doesn't require emissions testing.

Just like Adams, Co. Idaho has no smog testing either but a local kid took the hardware delete option and then after doing the delete attempt to take it to a dealer for sale. That ended very badly. No dealer would even touch that truck for sale in Boise or Lewiston. I was force to sell it private party. Just because you don't have smog testing in your area I'm pretty sure no dealer can sell or take a trade in of any deleted trucks now. I know this is true for Idaho. 

• Staff

@Mopar1973Man as I’ve mentioned before if the hard parts are still on the truck it’s not considered a delete, end of story. I’m also certain DAP doesn’t want you telling the internet they do deletes, as I’m sure they don’t. If a truck regens it’s not deleted, software or not. 

There is plenty of emission intact tuning, and that is what you are calling a “software delete”, but it’s a huge difference. 

This day and age the best bet is emissions friendly tuning. Even if you live in a county/state that doesn’t smog it’s still not legal to delete and it is being monitored. 

Even selling private party is illegal and can come back on you if the buyer gets caught and proves he bought it that way. 

• Owner
10 hours ago, AH64ID said:

If a truck regens it’s not deleted, software or not. 

That's another simple trick. Remove the DPF and beat a rod through it. It will not regen. Reinstall. Deleted software wise... No back pressure no regen. You could find another DPF can beat it out and install fully gutted DPF and never get a regen.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's another simple trick. Remove the DPF and beat a rod through it. It will not regen. Reinstall. Deleted software wise... No back pressure no regen. You could find another DPF can beat it out and install fully gutted DPF and never get a regen.

thats still a full delete, not a software delete (no such thing). A gutted DPF isn’t a DPF anymore. 

A delete requires software and hardware modification. 

I have seen several dealers here in TN that are advertising deleted trucks. They all say that the truck was deleted prior to there ownership. I have a track loader with emissions. My DPF went out on it and it cost my $3k just for parts and another $1200 for

labor. I just don’t want the same issues. Sorry for starting a sore topic. I want thinking about how strict other states were on this. Tennessee just announced that 5 other counties were stopping emissions in 2022.

• Staff

My uncle has an '08 chevy duramax with egr and dpf. His must be an early attempt by duramax as it uses diesel to burn out the dpf instead of the fluid. No reservoir for it at all. So far no issues with that system. (Bone stock truck) But the egr has plugged up on him at least once. Cost his $1000 at the dealer to fix it.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Doubletrouble said:

My uncle has an '08 chevy duramax with egr and dpf. His must be an early attempt by duramax as it uses diesel to burn out the dpf instead of the fluid. No reservoir for it at all. So far no issues with that system. (Bone stock truck) But the egr has plugged up on him at least once. Cost his $1000 at the dealer to fix it.

All DPFs use fuel to regen and clean the DPF. DPF is for particulate removal. There have been some changes over the years as to how they get the fuel, such as the Duramax now has a 9th injector. 

DEF is used inside the SCR and is for NOx reduction, which means less EGR can be used. SCR is great technology as the engine is much cleaner without the heavy EGR

Cummins has emissions systems that are after treatment only, meaning no EGR, but the EPA mandates EGR. Grrr. 

At least the EGR use on modern Ram Cummins is low. At rapid power changes and higher power settings the EGR isn’t used at all. That’s a win, but it’s also why DEF use increases when towing or hauling heavy. 

• Owner

There is correct ways of deleting and wrong ways...

All equipment need to be present on the vehicle. Like in how I suggest to do it with a "delete tuner" is the easiest and best. Yeah you might just have to a do a few small mods to do but it not like your removing the EGR cooler, EGR valve, EGR piping, DPF and replacing with straight pipe. All this will remain on the vehicle. Like I said make a steel gasket for the EGR that blocks the EGR passage. Have a gutted DPF and install the hollow can. It will not regen and the tuner shuts of the EGR completely. It will pass a visual inspection. None the wiser...

• 5 weeks later...

Good luck finding a 'deletable tuner'..  I almost did mine, but waited too long.  Now all the local/semi-local shops are being eat up with EPA fines and have stopped even selling them..  sucks..  

I have 'fixed' my EGR, but I am on stock, OEM everything, including tune... it's still lethargic and I despise the G56.  lol