• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Keeping camper plugged in

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

I must be running mine down a bit too far at times when boondocking because I've never come close to ten years in the RV batteries. I'm still on incandescent bulbs which I like the type of light it gives. 

Oops sorry, I thought we were talking truck:whistle:

• Staff

• Owner

Last trip out to the woods. I parked the RV tight under the trees and my solar panel couldn't reach the sun at all. Needless to say without any charging power at all I fire up the TV and DVD player and watch TV till I dozed off. Next morning the TV was still going and I still had lots of charge left. LED lighting huge saving in power. My TV and DVD player barely pull any power at all. 

Since I'm battery powered in both the house and RV it normal for me to check batteries every month. Since I gotta check the main house, I might as well check the RV too. My house (4kw) is nothing more that bigger version of the RV (1.2kw). 

• Staff
1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

120 VAC... no DC function.

Right, but the inverter does. 1A of AC is approx 11A of DC after being inverted. A constant 11A draw will drain most RV battery banks to 50% SOC overnight. 

What do you have for batteries in the RV? 

• Owner

Like I said not even a full amp. If the batteries are like 7 years old, full charge I can run all night and still be 12.1 to 12.2 in the morning. Im running dual 12V now but I'm planning on upgrading to dual 6V batteries. Sad to say my last trip home I must of rubbed the radio knob as I was packing out and left it on. The the RV was not plugged in so yesterday found out they where ZERO volts dead. Plugged it in to charge but with the age I think they are done.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like I said not even a full amp. If the batteries are like 7 years old, full charge I can run all night and still be 12.1 to 12.2 in the morning. Im running dual 12V now but I'm planning on upgrading to dual 6V batteries. Sad to say my last trip home I must of rubbed the radio knob as I was packing out and left it on. The the RV was not plugged in so yesterday found out they where ZERO volts dead. Plugged it in to charge but with the age I think they are done.

You're talking AC amps, but using DC amps... really need to talk DC amps. Your TV draws about the same as mine. 

12.1-12.2 is not plenty of battery left, it's recharge time. 12.2V is 50% SOC and as low as you should regularly run your batteries or they can get damaged. 

0V is bad.. usually they don't like to come back from 11V. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff
43 minutes ago, Turbo Terry said:

You guys watch tv and dvds when you go camping.   I sit in my high up lawn chair and have a double woodford and  watch beetle kill spruce  burn in the rock pit while the the grand kids play in the clear bubbly creek throwing rocks etc like kids do 

Only on very very rare occasions when the weather takes a short term turn for the worse.  When the kids were younger we would pile them all in the camper and throw a movie on for a rain/snow storm. Once it let up back out they went. I also just happen to know what it draws and can say I’ve ever fell asleep with it on or drained the batteries with it. I wouldn’t install one in a camper, but they have come in the last 2 we’ve bought. 

We camp to be outside and enjoy the scenery. It’s also why we don’t camp in campgrounds or near other people. 

• Staff

Where is Dripley? was he affected by the hurricane? Hope he's okay.

I have a small DVD player that I watch occasionally. I can charge it and it lasts about one movie. I had to get earphones to hear it well. I have a pair of group 31's with a Xantrax charger that do well enough for me. I generally run a Honda for 4 hrs ea. day. It's not gotten any complaints.

Edited by JAG1

Yes  my brother in law bought me one years ago. DVD I must say I have used it many times to entertain the grand kids while crawl up on my over the cab and  passed out. Camping is a   

lot of work   And to listen to good old country music  it’s great.  But tv come on now  oh well

Very bad storms out east and fires in the west. All not good 

• Staff
On 9/1/2021 at 8:41 PM, IBMobile said:

No time for TV,  We're either fishing, target shooting, or exploring all day.  At night we sit around the camp and listen to @JAG1tell tall tales.  

We need Dans double layered Camo hip waiters sold in the store. They stretch easy too for getting up the ladder. :thumb1: