• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

E10 fuel here in the Uk and a new Volvo XC40 hybrid for wife

In september E10 is replacing normal E5 petrol/gas here in the UK, E10 is 10% bio, I've read that my 3500 V8 will be ok on E10 as you guys have been using that for a while hope thats right.

I spotted a 6x6 REO truck on ebay the other week that was true multi fuel  diesel/petrol/cooking oil/parrafin, not sure how something runs on diesel and petrol  but was rather took by it

As I have a 3500 v8 that does sub 20mpg when it's on the road and a 24v thats just classed as a dirty diesel here and deserves to be squashed I decided to get a hybrid for my wife (she can drive the rubbish I thought) her Nissan quasquai lease is done in October so test drove a Volvo XC40 proDesign recharge, 3 cylinder turbo petrol 1500cc at 180hp with a 80hp electric motor, this thing is rather quick  0 to 60 in 7.1secs which for my better half is formula 1 territory, electric range is only 28 miles but thats about 2 days usual driving for her so shouldn't cost anything in actual petrol

Pick it up next friday, she's happy so more to spend on my rams :whistle:

• Staff

It's good you got a hybrid that charges batteries while running on petrol. I say this because I would not like having to rely on an electrical grid. It looks like out west we are going to be short on having enough electricity and is going to be a problem for our future.

• Staff

@wil440, are you having a major lack of rain like we are?

Out here in rain country we've only seen around 6 inches since March and I used to see a 5 gallon bucket left out get filled in less than a week. I used to see that many times throughout the spring.

Oops subject deviation... sorry had to ask.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE

2007U4714TS.gif.2e88fcf70c1869ae70d194d0eda5116f.gif

YA...RIGHT

Good luck with the new Volvo

Here in California when the temps go up the California Independent System Operator calls for a "FLEX" alert. 

This is what they want you to do before 9 AM:

• pre-cool home
  • use major appliances
  • close window coverings
  • charge devices
  • charge electric vehicles

During the FLEX alert until 9PM: 

• set AC to 78° or use fans
  • avoid using major appliances
  • turn off all unnecessary lights
  • unplug unused items
  • do not charge electric vehicles

When the demand is to great they implement rolling black outs, no power, all though they use the euphemism "brown out".   Not enough power for what is here but they keep building houses and apartments that will demand more. let's see what this is like in the next 10 years.  On that slippery slope to being a 3ed world country.

limited power divided by more demand equals your all electric car becomes a yard ornament.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, JAG1 said:

@wil440, are you having a major lack of rain like we are?

Out here in rain country we've only seen around 6 inches since March and I used to see a 5 gallon bucket left out get filled in less than a week. I used to see that many times throughout the spring.

Oops subject deviation... sorry had to ask.

Not really a subject deviation

We've had 1 short spell of very hot weather, maybe 2 weeks the rest of the summer has been low pressure system after low pressure system blowing in from the Atlantic which is quite unusual for here in the summer, we've had much more rain than usual in fact the south has seen some major flooding, we ourselves have had may be 8 or 10 flood alerts this summer but nothing for us in the Midlands has amounted to flooding.

We do get big swings in weather though, due to being surrounded by sea and right in the path of the jet stream, usually if it dips south of us we are cold and wet as it pulls in air from much further north, if north of us it usually dry and hot as it pulls in air from the south which is Spain/Africa.

Parts of Europe has had it very hot this summer, Turkey was/is on fire, some silly temperatures with records broken in several EU countries

14 hours ago, IBMobile said:

HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE

2007U4714TS.gif.2e88fcf70c1869ae70d194d0eda5116f.gif

YA...RIGHT

Good luck with the new Volvo

Here in California when the temps go up the California Independent System Operator calls for a "FLEX" alert. 

This is what they want you to do before 9 AM:

• pre-cool home
  • use major appliances
  • close window coverings
  • charge devices
  • charge electric vehicles

During the FLEX alert until 9PM: 

• set AC to 78° or use fans
  • avoid using major appliances
  • turn off all unnecessary lights
  • unplug unused items
  • do not charge electric vehicles

When the demand is to great they implement rolling black outs, no power, all though they use the euphemism "brown out".   Not enough power for what is here but they keep building houses and apartments that will demand more. let's see what this is like in the next 10 years.  On that slippery slope to being a 3ed world country.

limited power divided by more demand equals your all electric car becomes a yard ornament.

WOW I didn't realise it was that bad, I've been to the USA a few times and have noticed the power supply tends to vary for want of a better word, lights flickering or just going out etc.  Would this be due to 110v and most cabling is above ground ???. Most of our cabling is underground

Here we have one company that is responsible for the entire network "National Grid" they maintain the lines and the higher voltage stuff, then we have regional companies that look after the more local lower voltage stuff, the regions are quite big and I'd guess England has only 4 or 5 regional power companies, we are in Western Power's area

We very rarely get the power cut, once this year it was off for a few hours due to a 11kva underground cable replacement right at the end of our drive, only cut us off as all it fed was us.

This country has invested heavily in wind turbines and solar and we can get government grants to fit turbines/solar/biomass/heatpumps etc to our homes

We are still being told our electical infastructure won't cope with everyone charging electric cars.... but there is talk of using peoples electric cars as network storage batteries, not sure how this would work but my guess is your car is plugged in and charging and in times of high demand your car adds some back into the grid.

We very rarely use coal now to generated electricity, there is a coal power station maybe 10 miles away from us and thats never running, our record for coaless days is somewhere between 100 to 200 days IIRC

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup. Very true. Or you end up dragging a diesel generator behind it on a trailer. 

image.png

We didn't go the whole way and buy fully electric... not ready for that yet plus they are still way to expensive nearly £700 per month for a Volvo XV 40 electric AND you cannot buy it you lease, only option leased from Volvo

At least with the one we went for it will do what my wife needs per day totally on battery, then plugged in at night for the small amount of miles she does the next day.

Also with it being a hybrid it can do into cities without paying the pollution charge, London is £12 per day and the zone has just been increased to cover a larger area, this is coming to all cities here, diesels and older petrol cars/trucks/HGVs pay it, won't be long before diesels are banned from built up areas

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Interesting wil440. somehow the weather has flip flopped as Oregon used to be one wet soggy state. Our trees are really on the brink, some already dying. I ran a sprinkler on an old tree, most likely over 100 yrs old. It was so stressed by the looks of it. Weeks later it is perked up a lot and nice and green. I must keep irrigating since it makes a big difference.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Interesting wil440. somehow the weather has flip flopped as Oregon used to be one wet soggy state. Our trees are really on the brink, some already dying. I ran a sprinkler on an old tree, most likely over 100 yrs old. It was so stressed by the looks of it. Weeks later it is perked up a lot and nice and green. I must keep irrigating since it makes a big difference.

I saw a news article that said a river in the USA was way way below normal, might have been the Colarado river ??? can't remember 

• Staff
2 hours ago, wil440 said:

I saw a news article that said a river in the USA was way way below normal, might have been the Colarado river ??? can't remember 

Yes the Colorado feeds L.A. and where IBMobile lives. It's a very important water source for many people.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All of Idaho's river gages.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/current/?type=flow

Here is the river across the road.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/id/nwis/uv/?site_no=13316500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

I'm about a 100 CFS (Cubic Feet per Second) low right now. River looks like a creek.

We better be careful what we wish for as all of us out west have seen so little rain, everyone saying a drought this bad happens only every 1,000 years. Something like this could come back in a very big way and make up for lost time. One year many years ago people were having to tie their row boats to the entry railing in Portland. Of course not many I know goes there anymore with the trash, drugs and shootings. You wouldn't believe how beautiful that city used to be.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

They got what they voted for.  

Yes this and with many other problems I think we are seeing a very rough road ahead. What we see today tells me we are seeing the beginning of times to come.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Yes the Colorado feeds L.A. and where IBMobile lives. It's a very important water source for many people.

We better be careful what we wish for as all of us out west have seen so little rain, everyone saying a drought this bad happens only every 1,000 years. Something like this could come back in a very big way and make up for lost time. One year many years ago people were having to tie their row boats to the entry railing in Portland. Of course not many I know goes there anymore with the trash, drugs and shootings. You wouldn't believe how beautiful that city used to be.

Here we keep building houses and concreting over the ground so when it does rain there is nothing or nowhere natural to store the water so the rivers overflow and flood.

For the record my friend cities are no better here, quite funny really.... getting a car that can drive into cities here for free but neither my wife or myself would ever want to, not safe and full to the brim of idiot people anyway.

Our news on one particular channel at night starts with a satellite view of the UK at night it's only shown for a very brief second or two, I'm trying to figure out the least populated areas where it would be nice and peaceful to live, narrowed it down to Cumbria (north west) right on the scottish border,  the very North East past Newcastle or North Wales  these are the few places with next to no light at night

• Like 1

• Staff

I like to look at that kind of thing too. In Nevada we have the darkest place, further from any lights anywhere in the lower 48. They say that the milky way looks so close it's like you can touch it.

When I go see IBMobile at camp I avoid most all interstates. Makes for nice travels. I was at a fuel station and got to talking a long time with the attendants. I said I was sorry for taking their time but, one says, ''Oh that's no problem we got nothing else to do''! no other customers came in the whole time.

Hey where's Dripley you guys? hadn't heard from him in a while.