• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New trucks and the chip shortage

Turbo Terry

Ok so I ordered a new 2022 ho aisin  5 months age. Salesman at dealer keeps telling me it’s built and being shipped.  What I’m reading on line some ordered trucks have been built but are waiting for chips somewhere. Old truck is running fine About 1500 mile since tranny issues  limp mode etc.  so I wait which is fine. But I do have first right of refusal when truck comes . I would get my $500 back and they would put it on the lot and it would sell . My wife says we should at least wait and see it.  I agree.  It will be either love at first sight or not.  I want her there as well .To keep it or turn it away. Should I wait until next years model 2023 and reorder. Would that be better. Will they change the cabs and  box dimensions   My slide in truck camper will fit a 2021 with slight mods . I hardly drive old truck in the winter and not very far.  So it having issues is low. I thought it would be a good topic while I wait.  We have had frost two nights in a row and it snowed a bit middle of the night.  Leaves are starting to come down pretty fast now.  Party’s over 

Will fit a 2022 not 2021 sorry 

• Staff

The increased outbreaks of Wuhan Covid-19 in Asia has disrupted the supply chain for semiconductor chip manufactures.  Most of the chips are made in China and Taiwan.  The assembly, testing, and packaging is done in Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines because of large unskilled cheap labor force.  The rise in outbreaks has caused the plants and shipping facilities in these countries to be shut down. These supply problems will extend into 2022 and might go further.  This mean not only truck and auto production delays, vehicles use from 300 to 3000 chips depending on model and options, but anything with a chip from digital thermometers to washing machines will be in short supply and cost more adding to the inflation worry.    

Edited by IBMobile

Very interesting.  So would you cancel truck if and when it came  will it be a lemon of sorts or what. What do you think?  If my new found  wonderful  diesel and transmission man wasn’t 50 miles away from me I know what I would do . Keep my old truck.  It cost $500 to get it there on a flat bed this early summer with my tranny issues.  State Farm stood the towing I have tow insurance.  I had to pay like  $170 as I remember.  But how many times will they do that? I have another mechanic of interest local.  I have to check him out in the morning. If I like him and he work on it my decision will be easier maybe time will tell..

• Staff
33 minutes ago, Turbo Terry said:

So would you cancel truck if and when it came

If I had my heart set on it no though I might renegotiate for a lower price due to new year models are out.   The dealer wants to show the most units sold in a month to the manufacture and does not want to pay the bank "flooring" interest fee on a unit.  So, the last days of the month are the best to buy a new car.

44 minutes ago, Turbo Terry said:

will it be a lemon of sorts or what.

Don't know.

44 minutes ago, Turbo Terry said:

I had to pay like  $170 as I remember.

Let's see, $170 for a tow or $65,000+ for a new truck.   Even at $500 a tow that's 130 tows.

I like your thinking   So new is not always the way is it    Glad you told me that. I knew someone would.  Sad but true 

But hey someone’s got to spend my retirement.  Spoiled rotten step kids will live the big life when I’m gone. I might as well drive new. It’s a huge problem 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Turbo Terry said:

Spoiled rotten step kids will live the big life when I’m gone. I might as well drive new. It’s a huge problem 

If you got it then enjoy it.  You worked hard for it and you can't take it with you.  When you're dead you really don't care anymore. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stealer texted me last Monday.  I m in Seattle  headed south hwy 101 road trip.  October  29 th new truck will be in Los anchorage    Dealer prep etc  I’m back on the 25 th.  Wife and I will go look at it and take it for a drive    If I don’t like it I’m doing first right of refusal. No vin number.  Will I like it or not.  I’m pretty old school with my 99

Yosemite yesterday. Turned around a couple days ago.  Fires on the coast north of LA. Headed north now.  Lake Tahoe today   Some gold country  stuff then back up north thru Oregon  to the cascades then Seattle and home in 9 days.  2100 miles so for in our rental Plymouth Voguger mini van.  On the road again    New truck end of the month