• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad fuel knock or worse!?!?

Well after some of my other posts, most know about fuel issues which got solved with new injectors. Drove amazing for what ever it was 1-2 weeks, then all of a sudden today going to work I slowed down on the off ramp at my exit started hearing and feeling this "Bad fuel knock video"

Truck is very hard to start- acting like it's not getting fuel- after sitting for awhile. In video I am loading truck on trailer to bring home. This is my daily and I'm kinda up the creek without a paddle atm. Could new injector(s) be bad or injection pump took a $#!% or worse?!?!

*No check engine light or codes via key flip.

Edit: Update

Started the truck, smokes so bad,  cracked each injector line one by one and #2 is the only one that changed sound or took away from that miss/lope in video.

Would just one injector make all this happen on our trucks?

2 week~ish old injectors

Thoughts ?@dieselautopower

Edited by Stanley

Yea that's #2, I imagine I'll wound up pulling them all again... 

Hopefully @dieselautopower will help me figure this out, these are their brand injector.

Just odd it ran amazing after install, night and day difference. Then now this? I mean if it failed- stuff happens- not gonna blame DAP ya know, but Outta that video could this one or multiples bad produce that-as shown? 

I could have other issues, idk, I'm pretty stumped right now :think:

@TractormanI thought the same thing, one of the upper techs at work at deere watched and listened also while I whirled it over trying to start it. Engine never speed up or slowed down that would indicate a bent valve or push rod, just a smooth whizz if you will, we also both watched at different times at the engine running valve cover off and didn't see anything abnormal going on - to the naked eye. So not to say we didn't miss something - not perfect, but it seems fine in that area.

I think you put too small an injector in.. Everything I found says a 6x.016 injector is the smallest you should run with it. I hope you didn't smoke the vp44..

https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-products/2nd-gen-24v-98.5-02/injectors-and-fuel-system-3/vp44-injection-pumps/industrial-injection-dragon-fire-vp44-140-more-flow-vs-stock.html

https://www.xtremediesel.com/industrial-injection-0-470-506-028df-dragon-flow-vp44-150

Also seems they discontinued the pump..

Possibly because people were putting these on factory lines/connector tubes and like 100hp injectors.. (speculation)

Edited by Silverwolf2691

Previously When I called DAP and chatted with them for a bit about everything getting new injectors etc. they said that these would be fine with that pump or stock pump due to me not being 100% it being a dragonflow. I can safely say that it does have .093 lines, last night I used drill bits to check them them half @$$ use calipers in there and got to .090 roughly so close enough. Now just to figure out if I ever can what pump it is. 

Update:

I came home today and swapped #2 injector from first test with #1 and the problem followed that injector. Cracked it in #1 cylinder and it kinda smoothed up the idle like last test. Kinda sorta maybe rules out pump issues I'm thinking, but never say never - knock on wood. 

Anyway chatted with @dieselautopowerfor a bit this morning over the phone, discussed all this and more. Hopefully Mitchell up there watched the video 😁

DAP is taking care of me :thumbup2:

I pulled all the injectors tonight labeled them and sending them back to DAP first thing tomorrow for testing/cleaning, rebuilding etc. 

@Mopar1973Man

Idk if it is necessary to stay in the 911 section now I feel a little better about the situation lol, still with out a ride though...

Maybe it can or (needs to) go over to the 2nd gen section?

• 2 weeks later...

Well been a bit since I posted, took forever to get injectors back from DAP. Was told same day turn around but after no contact I had to call next day, then same story it will be today, kept this going day after day till late the next week then they just showed up with no call or anything. Still have not got a response back like I was promised on what exactly happened to them @dieselautopower

As of now it's running good again. Would like to know what happened to injectors.

Lack of communication error on DAP's end...

That was my bad personally as I have been out sick for a week and just getting back to work. As for the injectors we were hoping for a easy turn around like it was something simple but once receiving the injectors and testing them we had a few that were not popping off right, they had to do a complete tear down and set them back up before shipping nda back to you. This did take an extra day and I do apologize for that but wanted to make sure you got good product back and it was verified.  We received the injectors from you on 9/27/21 and shipped them back to you on 9/29/21

Hope this helps out with any other questions, we do strive to make our customers as happy as possible

If you have any other questions please feel free to give me a call.

Thanks,

Mitchell

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1