• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Black Smoke After Rebuild

I recently had my 98.5 vp44 engine rebuilt due to a melted piston after the truck was stolen. Ever since the rebuild I have had a smoke issue. Under light throttle, the truck smokes black. Running empty down the freeway the truck constantly smokes black. Smoke is worse pulling a trailer. Truck starts great, idles clean. No crank pressure. Oil level does not increase or decrease. No codes showing.

BUILD:
-Block was sent to a machine shop, bored 0.020” and decked 0.010”. Running a thicker head gasket to maintain factory compression ratio.
-D&J stage 1 head w/ orings 
-Hamilton 178/208 cam w/103lb valve springs. 
-New vp44
-7x0.010 Sac injectors
-62/68/12 turbo
-FASS 165
-Edge J w/ A

Trouble shooting:
-Tested for boost leaks
-New MAP sensor
-Removed the edge 
-Sent the injectors for testing 
-Tryed another new VP
-Compression tested (445-455psi) on all cylinders 
-Ecm was tested
-Installed stock injectors and same amount of smoke while driving

-checked ECM grounds (pin 30/49)

Cruising at 70mph in OD the truck runs about 1800rpm, 7psi and 850f with smoke
WOT seems to clear up to a heavy haze. 
38-40psi of boost and 1250f. 

Before the rebuild I ran a set of 7x0.0095 SAC with the same 62/68/12 and only smoked if you really put your foot into it. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by LTL Diesel

• Owner

The only thing I think you might check is the key in the VP44 pump shaft is it installed correctly with arrow towards the pump. Make sure the number matches the number on the case. Typically with timing slightly retarded it will smoke. 

Like myself I'm right about 19 to 20 degrees on the Quadzilla. This is a limitation of the Edge tuner. Running 150 HP injectors with little to zero smoke.

Everything else seems to check out good.

Thanks for the reply. 
I recently had the front timing cover off to inspect the pump key and confirm it was seated correctly. Also double checked the timing with the crank, cam and pump. Everything looked good and now I’m at a stand still. Don’t know where to look next. 

I agree that it does happen. I checked again today for a restriction in the intake system, (filter, turbo, intercooler, grid heater, intake plenum) Didn’t find anything unfortunately.

If there was a major restriction before the map sensor, wouldn’t it read lower than normal? 
Boost pressure seems to be right on mark at 6-7 psi cruising empty and 38 psi WOT. With this I am thinking it is fuel related. With stock injectors I had the same smoke issues. Change the vp out, also didn’t change anything. I am thinking maybe something computer related may still be the issue. Could the fuelling curve be out within the ecm?

All the rockers move in sync, can assume cam is good. 

Talked to the guys that reflashed/tested the ECM and they said everything in the test simulation tested good. 

Another thought.. Before the rebuild, the engine was ran to extreme temperatures. Data log showed engine coolant temperature peaking at 291f. If a wire was to be broken either during the heat or in the rebuild process, which wire could cause the fuelling curve to be out?