• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low boost, no boost leaks

So I recently got back into messing with my truck, and I've been messing with quad. Starting logging what my truck was doing with "hot" tunes, noticed I wasn't building boost beyond 18psi. It would build up to 18, then drop to 14-15psi.

I suspected boost leak, so I made a janky boost leak tester (which failed epically), and found a tiny leak on the right side  boot going into the inter-cooler. My former diesel professor suggested I use a smoke machine to check for leaks, which I did, and didn't find anything. I went ahead and ordered a cheap set of silicone boots for my truck anyway. I reused my old t-clamps, and although they were a huge pita to put on, I got them on, and got the clamps tight. Loaded a hot tune, and went for a ride.

So far, I can hold boost at 18, but it won't go beyond that, because my fuel cuts off (I'm set at 3700rpm cutoff). I suspect it's the adapter for the outlet of the turbo, but I have it tight using the v-band clamp it came with, and the o-ring looked okay, not flat or anything like that.  It also never leaked when I used the smoke machine before, and I made extra sure I had it seated flat before I clamped it.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to why I can't build boost with this turbo, unless the vane's are junk. Or does it need more fuel? I'll post the log.

iQuad-2021-10-09-05.51.061630790263729018886.csv

Go through settings in quad, make sure defuel is where it needs to be. 

I have mine set at 45 boost and 1400 egt as quad likes to start defiling sooner. But with my tune I usually max out my canbus at 35ish. Just installed drive pressure gauge to see where I'm at and at 40 boost my back pressure is at 42-45. I'm leaving it it alone for now, looking for used parts to go teens next.

Tweens :doh:

While skimming your tune, I noticed that the canbus never got close to 4095. So, bunch of questions for you..

What level did you do that data log in?

What does your tune actually look like? If you go into the quadzilla area you can find a format that we have used before to list it. 

What made you choose the turbo you did? That is not a good turbo for a diesel.. a 66 should be paired with a 71 or 73.4 turbine minimum, not a 65.

You also need bigger injectors for a 66.. the compressor wheel itself is a 66.11mm x 91.44mm wheel, the turbine is 64.5mm X 74.16mm. You might be running into a case of not enough heat or velocity to turn that big of a compressor with that small of a turbine. I'm surprised you can run that turbo without it surging..

I think your turbo is your issue. The 65 turbine is usually a fast spooling wheel paired with a 62 compressor. It spools in the realm of 13-1500 rpm. The 66 compressor is meant for spooling at 2000-2200 rpm. While one is getting past its sweet spot, the other isn't even in its sweet spot yet. 

• Like 1

Turbo came with the truck. I realized I never had the tune loaded, and it was on 0. I loaded my tune again, and set the level to 5,and she jumped up to 26psi. But it's real peaky and short lived. I figured this turbo wasn't right for this truck, but it's nice to get second opinions because I'm kinda lost on diesels and turbo tuning. 

I found a used he351vgt from a friend I'm going to buy soon, but i have to build the computer to run the vgt solenoid for it after. I think it will rock with my current setup

It is not a standard BW turbo.   If he can confirm the brand or copressor dimensions  that would be helpful.  BW has .83 AR but I have not seen a .84... maybe someone else has more details.

Assuming it is the borg 66mm compressor and the 65mm turbine, it was likely modified.  It probably barks like crazy.  Drive pressure above  500HP is likely high.

3 hours ago, dieselautopower said:

It is not a standard BW turbo.   If he can confirm the brand or copressor dimensions  that would be helpful.  BW has .83 AR but I have not seen a .84... maybe someone else has more details.

Assuming it is the borg 66mm compressor and the 65mm turbine, it was likely modified.  It probably barks like crazy.  Drive pressure above  500HP is likely high.

It's a turbonetics, probably from the mid to late 2000s. I say that because it had an ancient edge juice with attitude programmer in it, and it dumped TONS of fuel before. I mean I could black out intersections with the smoke. The truck ran pretty hard then. 

I think it was built back when it was all about rolling coal and big turbos. 

Also, those are the numbers I got straight from turbonetics themselves when I called and gave them numbers off the turbo. It's not gated at all, not even a provision for a wastegate. 

3 hours ago, dieselautopower said:

Got it.  Is it one of the Ball bearing turbos? Watercooled?

Turbonetics could give you the best information about HP rating.  with only the inducer # it will be hard to tell how much it can support.  Drive pressure, EGT and boost will give you that info with some real world testing.

Ball bearing I think, and not water cooled. I'll have to ask them about it, but I'm pretty much giving up on it, and going to put that other turbo on it. Maybe I'll use the current one in a compound setup, or on another build. 

4 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

He said he351vgt with a custom controller 

That's the plan anyway. Idk what's wrong with the turbo I'm getting. I hope it's not the actuator because they're 1100. I know they sell vgt controllers too but they're 780 dollars as well. I'm hoping to build one myself. There was a guy on here that built one out of an arduino, right?