• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Adrenaline with iQuadBT from DAP

• Staff

I just bought the Quadzilla tuner with a new fuel sensor from DAP. I noticed that there's a brass valve that came with the fuel sensor, but I haven't looked at it enough to know what it's for yet.

I've only ever installed and used the Edge Juice with Attitude on my Cummins pickups, so this is a totally new and foreign tuner to me.

I'll be removing my older (most likely first generation - silver display and smaller screen) Edge Juice w/Attitude tuner that is currently on my pickup when I bought it last December and installing the Quadzilla. I plan to hopefully install it with the module in the cab if possible to minimize any Bluetooth issues with my Android tablet that I will be using with it. Is the stock tune good enough to start out with?

My engine is stock with the HX35 turbo and NV5600 trans with aftermarket clutch setup, except for S&B air filter system, AFE intake horn, 4" full exhaust, and 100 HP DAP SAC injectors. I'm installing a new Fel Pro headgasket, XOTIC head studs, and new NAPA t-stat just as soon as I get my head back from the machine shop either tomorrow or Friday. 

I was thinking of installing some gauges on the left a pillar so that I can monitor boost, trans temp, etc., but wanted your thoughts on this setup, and any advice as to where to start with tuning on the Quadzilla, or if someone already has a tune that will work with my mods and trans.

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

I ran your same setup for awhile except an auto trans. Ran real good! I would definitely get good gauges. EGT, fuel pressure, and boost.  You don’t need the head unit on every time you drive the truck. I only connect mine when I’m playing with the tune or want to check some numbers out. Other than that start and go. I wouldn’t worry about the wiretap feature until you get your base tune dialed in.  Here’s something basic you can start with. On level 3. 
load timing offset 2

Low timing reduction 5
timing scaling 50%
Light throttle timing 2

light throttle load 30%
Timing scale 

15,19,23,27, 29 Mike starts his on 13 with a manual. Mine does better at 15. 
Your canbus could start between 95-98% Which ever has the  least amount of smoke with a good take off. From there just add fuel so you have a nice steady pull using the whole throttle pedal. I believe canbus fueling maxes out at 4095 which you can check on the Quad.  From what I’ve read most hit that number around  125% of fueling but you can select up to 150%   

• Like 2

I doubt you will get the module in the cab, the wires aren't really long enough.  The wire for the EGT probe is just long enough to reach the manifold.  Even just getting the wifi portion of it in the cab is unlikely unless you extend the harness somehow.  I installed my Quad last weekend and haven't had any connection issues yet.  I would suggest going into the settings on your tablet and looking for the Quad signal to connect to as opposed to letting the app scan for it.  It seems to work quicker that way.  I tried the Quad back in 2017 and it was a big PITA, couldn't get it to connect or even stay connected when I did manage to get it working.  I got a reply to the review I left on the app saying they had worked out a lot of the issues that caused that and so far it seems to be true.  

• Like 1

• Owner
18 hours ago, Threadzy said:

Your canbus could start between 95-98% Which ever has the  least amount of smoke with a good take off. From there just add fuel so you have a nice steady pull using the whole throttle pedal. I believe canbus fueling maxes out at 4095 which you can check on the Quad.  From what I’ve read most hit that number around  125% of fueling but you can select up to 150%   

This is due to the torque converter allowing more slippage during launching. Still in all the low band (1,500) should be slightly retarded for launching. You should never be cruising near 1,500 realm really being it well below the torque curve of the engine. Like myself I design to get most of my travel time around 2,000 RPMs @ 66 MPH in 5th gear. One of the few factors of why I was able to break the old high mark of 27.2 MPG (Edge Comp and +50HP Injectors) now with 28.04 MPG is my high mark. (Quadzilla and +150 HP Injectors).When you get the timing dialed in you find the EGT drop like a rock. My 55 MPH is super low at 500*F even 65 MPH float about 550*F to 600*F. 

Two things I'll say timing is the MOST important setting. Then the fuel map should NOT just ramp up from low fuel to max fuel. Again timing your going to have to work with it till its figure out and provides the LOWEST EGTs. Fuel map you'll need a defuel realm to control smoke. Then I would create a STOCK fuel zone where most of the normal driving occurs. Then a POWER mode where when boost rises past your cruise mode it kicks in extra power. Since I live in the mountains and climb hills and grades (7 to 16%) I needed a wide cruise realm between 5 to 15 PSI which is all set for 100% fuel. Now above 15 PSI the fuel ramps up to 150% by the time it hits +30 PSI. Again this design is capable of 24 to 28 MPG.

Just look 425 Miles on the trip and just slightly above 1/2 tank. Just quick rough math 1/2 tank is 17.5 gallons. 425 / 17.5 = 24.28 MPG !!!

Quadzilla Adrenaline (My custom tune), 150 HP injectors (popped at 320 bar), HX35/40 Hybrid Turbo (60/60/12), 245/75 R16 tires (final ratio to the ground 3.69:1)

20210910_175902.jpg

Another trip... After all my running around I was down to a 3/4 mark and netted 28.04  MPG.20210814_101719.jpg20210814_101713.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

In my case there was a noticeable difference in launching between 13 and 15 degrees in timing. With my timing reduction settings at 13 it would drop somewhere between high 10’s and 11’s. Now at 15 it will drop to high 12’s. My truck launches much better at 15 than 13. I didn’t notice much difference when I had it set at 13 with reduction set at 3 at 50%. And 15 at 5 at 50%. My fueling is at 100% till around 9 or 10 psi. And maxes at 135.  I’d have to open up my iPad to confirm.  Never did a mileage check to confirm the two settings. Just going off launches. As far as fueling I figure it’s going to take X amount of fueling to move the truck throughout my travels. I’ve dropped my tire size from 285’s back down to 265’s. Around town I definitely see lower EGT’s. Need to take a ride down the freeway at 55 and 70. Drive and overdrive to see what that looks like now.  

• Owner

Again the auto transmission has more slippage so you can start out higher in timing. Just remember its not only about timing retard on heavy throttle you have to look at timing as a cruise state from the 1500 realm too. Like myself I've got a few towns that have speed limits at 30 MPH so in 4th gear it drops to 1,200 RPM and bucks severely because of over advancement with cruise timing +2 and 15 degree at the 1500 band. So the 13 is to prevent that being I've got 17 degrees at a cruise state at 30 MPH and will cause serious bucking.  So with 13 in the 1500 band and the cruise timing puts me at 15 degree which will not buck at all. Again its not always about launching performance but you have to look at cruise performance too. Then if I just downshift ot 3rd then I'm running 2,100 at 30 MPH which is lots of RPM's for nothing. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Interesting. Once I went to 15 mine quit bucking in drive cruising at 30. With  my EGT’s around 400.  Now in OD I would still get some bucking below 35  But around town driving I always have OD off. Less load and lower EGT’s. With my smaller tires For testing purposes I’ll have to try with OD on. 

What exactly do you mean by launch timing?

I picture a brake stand and launching with 30 psi.

400miles at half tank means im getting good mpg but no where near 28.  Its common for my truck but doesnt seem to mean ive burned 15 gallons or 17. 

2 minutes ago, Evan said:

What exactly do you mean by launch timing?

Take off from a stop. Towing. Not a power brake. Lol For me just regular driving. I’ll rephrase. My normal take offs and in town driving is  much better at 15 degrees timing than 13.  My timing band is 15,19,23,27 max 30. Light load 2*.  With winter fuel with more ceatane I will drop 1* on each band and see how it runs. 

• Owner

Like I said with a automatic and torque converter you have way more slippage till you get to a locked up state. Hence you can jump up in timing and come out better. Being a manual doesn't slip it needs a bit of help on the low end so dropping to 13 retards deep enough to spool quicker.

Give you an idea I posted fuel and mileage on Beast now here is ¼ tank used and trip on Thor. This is roughly 16 MPG.

20211014_102357.jpg

CEL is on from P0243 code already replace the wastegate solenoid. (Different topic)

• Like 1

• Staff

Since I already have ISSPRO Boost and EGT gauges and wiring, I ordered a new ISSPRO Fuel Pressure gauge and wiring kit from DAP, as well as, a Glowshift 3 gauge pillar pod to house them in.

I just got my pickup up and running this last Saturday night at 11:05 PM after installing a new head gasket, new exhaust and intake manifold gaskets, NAPA t-stat, XOTIC head studs, new coolant, oil and filter. Yesterday I installed the Redhead steering box and the heater treater blend door transposer fix.

As soon as the pillar pod shows up, I can remove the older Edge Juice w/Attitude and install the Quadzilla Adrenaline in it.

• Like 1

• Staff

I followed the XOTIC installation instructions exactly and noticed there was no mention of a retorque needed on the head studs. So I emailed them and asked if the studs needed any retorque, and they said "if you follow the instructions exactly, there is no need for a retorque". 

I do have to install my marine valve cover on my engine once I get it painted and cleared, so I will most likely check them anyway while I have the valve cover off.

• Staff
On 10/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Threadzy said:

I ran your same setup for awhile except an auto trans. Ran real good! I would definitely get good gauges. EGT, fuel pressure, and boost.  You don’t need the head unit on every time you drive the truck. I only connect mine when I’m playing with the tune or want to check some numbers out. Other than that start and go. I wouldn’t worry about the wiretap feature until you get your base tune dialed in.  Here’s something basic you can start with. On level 3. 
load timing offset 2

Low timing reduction 5
timing scaling 50%
Light throttle timing 2

light throttle load 30%
Timing scale 

I finally got my Quad installed this evening after work.

Right now it's on its level 4 default profile.

Like I stated before I have never messed with a Quadzilla tuner before, so this is all new to me compared to an Edge Juice with Attitude tuner.

Where do I find these settings to modify that Threadzy posted;

Load timing offset 2

Low timing reduction 5
timing scaling 50%
Light throttle timing 2

light throttle load 30%
Timing scale 

15,19,23,27, 29 Mike starts his on 13 with a manual.

It runs pretty good right out of the box, but I know custom tuning it will be a night and day difference.

Also, my Fuel pressure, EGT, and turbo boost pressure are only on my A pillar gauges, and not monitored in the Quadzilla. Will that be a problem?

Thanks,

Doug

Screenshot_20211027-191113_iQuad.jpg

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

The Quadzilla will get its boost reading from the ECM from the comport.  From what I understand it’s not to accurate. I’ve never compared the two. The EGT probe is only necessary if you’re using the defuel or turbo cool down feature.  Your apillar fuel pressure gauge is best. As well as the rest. That way you won’t have to run with your head unit on all the time. As far a building a tune you would go into settings and tap on custom tuning. 

• Like 1