• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum Pump Oil Leak Rebuild

Hey all, planning to rebuild my pump since I believe it works fine and would like to save money on having a shop replace it (whether its a whole new part or paying labor for the rebuild). Should I get a vacuum tester to see if my pump should just be outright replaces? I have no issues with my brakes and whatnot. Only possible vacuum related issue is my front diff not engaging but I plan to install a posi-lok in the future. Cruise control has been working fine again with no surging (fingers crossed) which is the only actual vacuum problem I may have. I don't think that is due to the pump malfunctioning though.

Biggest question is are there any write ups on how to rebuild this with a list of tools I will need? I live in the barracks and none of my friends here with houses have an abundance of tools or things with a big enough diameter to press the gasket in with a mallet. I have some tools but am willing to buy a socket or flat dowel type of thing to drive the gasket in but don't want to buy a bunch of different sizes.

Also, if anyone is in the area around Camp Lejeune, NC (1-2 hours away) with a lot of tools and is willing to lend a hand in replacing my steering box and possibly steering setup, it'd be greatly appreciated. It would be amazing to only spend the 300 on a box and not pay another 200-300 for labor at a shop.

I bought my dually when I lived in the barracks in San Diego, did ALOT of work in the parking lot. Got many tickets for it. Almost lost base driving privileges.

go to Cummins, or even the store on here, and get a vacuum pump seal kit. comes with instructions that are decently detailed. Just pay attention to which way the coupler seal goes in. I think genos garage sells new nylon pieces for the pump as well.

as for tools, I did way to much witch just the basic $40 tool kit from harbor freight, a screw driver set, big orange mallet, and some pieces of 2x4 that I bought and hame depot cut for me. 

Did the steering box and linkages with all those same tools. as long as the steering shaft comes off the box, the rest is simple. 

Does Lejeune not have a base auto hobby shop? Usually get a hoist bay for $12hr or less, cheaper if just an open bay. Plus tools are free to grab and use. 

Edited by Towrigdually

On the 01 vacuum does HVAC, cad, exhaust break if you have one that uses vacuum. Breaks are hydraulic, cruise control is electric. If you're pump is not leaking oil between where power steering connects then it's probably fine. Your front may not be engaging because the diaphragm on the cad is bad and you could be loosing vacuum there too. How's blow-by, when you have a vacuum leak blow-by increases. Maybe plug the line going to cad see if things change. Also you can suck on cad actuator on each end where line is attached and see if diaphragm is bad. 

This is where I got my rebuild kit, like others mentioned Cummins or here on the site is a good place also. Not sure if this guy still sells kits I haven't looked in a while.