• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Will 5th gen wheels fit your 2nd gen Ram?

Yes, they will.  I picked up this set of 2021 wheels the other day with new 245/70R17 Firestones.  The guy gave me the lug nuts but Dodge changed the threads at some point so I am using my old spiked nuts for now.  I didn't realize how tall these lug nuts were until I put them on these wheels.  This was a test to see if how well a smaller tire will work like Mike has.  So far my cruising EGT's are down about 150-200 degrees.  I'll have to do some more driving later to verify.  I was able to pull flat out run on level 4 up to 85mph and not exceed 1200* and that's with a tune I'm messing with so all bets are off, lol.  I'll roll with these for a little bit while playing with the Quad, if I am satisfied I'll either have these tires swapped onto my Raceline wheels or get another set of the 5 spoke 3rd gen wheels.  

skinny2.jpg

skinny3.jpg

skinny1.jpg

• Like 2

That was the funny part, I got up to 65mph and saw my rpm's were still at 1600.  Then I remembered my speedometer is off now so I sped up to 70 which I think is about 65 and yeah, 1900 rpm.   I'll take it to work a few days these week so I can get more actual results on cruising temps and all that.  My test road by my house is not flat.  

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

I picked up a set of chrome 3rd gen wheels over the weekend and I ordered a new set of OEM lugnuts so I can go get new tires on Monday.   :cheerleader:

Which lug nuts did you get. I rotated tires the other day and put a bit too much antiseeze on threads, some of it made it to the lugnut cone part where it meets rim face, anyway when torquing them down it felt like they jus kept going. Before I stopped and cleaned the face I managed to strip the treads on one, lucky on the nut and not the stud. I always knew not to lube the face part and after all these years I finally ruined one. I ended up taking all of them off just to be safe and cleaning them. Now just need a lug nut for one, funny the one got stripped was not same shape as others, minor difference but definitely different brand, like someone changed it before.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:21 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Which lug nuts did you get. I rotated tires the other day and put a bit too much antiseeze on threads, some of it made it to the lugnut cone part where it meets rim face, anyway when torquing them down it felt like they jus kept going. Before I stopped and cleaned the face I managed to strip the treads on one, lucky on the nut and not the stud. I always knew not to lube the face part and after all these years I finally ruined one. I ended up taking all of them off just to be safe and cleaning them. Now just need a lug nut for one, funny the one got stripped was not same shape as others, minor difference but definitely different brand, like someone changed it before.

I just got some OEM Dorman lugnuts.  Part number is 611-162, cost about $3 each, luckily you only need one, I needed 32.  :spend:

• Haha 1

I'm confused as always, why get stuck lug nuts if the pitch is different. @AH64ID I'm using a set of fourth gen Wheels from 2012, and guy gave me the lug nuts that came with the wheels, they look the same the pitch is same as my factory 2002 but the threads are different. Which pitch are we talking about threads or where the lug nut meets the rim.

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup hes got this on the hood...

image.png

@Sycostang67 hows the new ratio working now compared to the old 3.38:1?

It's a little hard to tell being as how my speedometer is so far off, but my load % is usually around 20%, EGT's between 6-700 and the cruise timing kicks in a lot more often.   The truck is lot nicer to drive now too, the stock tires make steering easier and the truck doesn't seem to wander as much now either.  I need to play with the turbo though, I think the wastegate is set kind of low as 28-30psi is the most I can get.  

On 11/16/2021 at 6:52 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Is that a duck 

Yeah, my buddy got drunk and ordered one for himself and then got drunk again, forgot about the first one and ordered another one.  He gave me the extra and I kind of felt obligated to put it on the truck because they aren't cheap.  It's just bolted to the grill though and I will probably remove it next year when I replace the grill.  

• Owner

but my load % is usually around 20%, EGT's between 6-700 and the cruise timing kicks in a lot more often.

Again larger tires cost fuel, rotational mass, rolling resistance, and high EGT's. Your now enjoying the efficiency I normally enjoy now. 

the stock tires make steering easier and the truck doesn't seem to wander as much now either. 

Yup. Oversized tires tend to alter the geometry of the front axle. Wandering typically stops when you ditch the wider tires. 

I need to play with the turbo though, I think the wastegate is set kind of low as 28-30psi is the most I can get.

If you can crimp off the waste gate line temporarily and test again and see if you can pass that boost point. If not you might need to retard timing  (-1 degree from all max timings) to add boost pressure back. Might add a bit more fuel to the wire tap from 1200 maybe try 1700 and see if the boost climbs more. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...