• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Picked up my new 2022 today.

Turbo Terry

3500 ho aisin regular cab long box    I’m loving this new truck   80 miles in the rain and slushy snow.  Smooth power  had it in 4 high.  Exhaust brake is awesome  my old 99 is pretty old school.  After 23 years it was time for a new one. Should haul my camper much better than the old 2500.   I’m a happy camper.  

• Like 1

Stubborn like me. But I had to do it Physically can’t take care of old silver anymore Dodge will take care of it for me now Got the warranty  I’m golden. No more busted knuckles for me but I did like it at the time I guess.  But I tell you if you drove one you would want one   Pretty awesome truck. Don’t drive one you WILL  want one trust me

• Like 2

• Staff

Im okay in that dept. I start to slide down the slippery when It comes to just fixing things around my place or on my trucks. Funny, after 22 years daily driving a first gen I still think of my 2 second gens as 'new'. :thumb1: I guess I like it better saving the money but, buying some of the best tools to make projects easier.

So I have a truck camper too... why not join IBMobile and me with some of the other guys? We meet fairly often in a pretty nice place to camp. MoparMan won't ever show up... he sees a blonde and his truck breaks down in front of her house. :lol:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

• Staff

No pics? 

I drive them nearly everyday. I haul them to the dealers. I admit they are nice but then I look at the sticker price. Crazy what they ask for a new truck now days compared to 20 years ago. I'm sure the warranty is a big plus but I like the look of the 2nd gen trucks, lack of emissions is a plus as well. They have come a long way in power, I will give you that. The torque of the new ones is incredible. 

I hauled a new 3500 crew cab SRW yesterday. Very nice. 

Enjoy your new ride!

• Staff
7 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

No pics? 

I drive them nearly everyday. I haul them to the dealers. I admit they are nice but then I look at the sticker price. Crazy what they ask for a new truck now days compared to 20 years ago. I'm sure the warranty is a big plus but I like the look of the 2nd gen trucks, lack of emissions is a plus as well. They have come a long way in power, I will give you that. The torque of the new ones is incredible. 

I hauled a new 3500 crew cab SRW yesterday. Very nice. 

Enjoy your new ride!

Aren't ther hidden future expenses / costs associated with owning a common rail with the torque of these new trucks? 

Edited by JAG1

The hidden expenses are DEF, and lack of fuel economy.. When you load these newer trucks with a decent trailer, the DEF usage goes way way up. And because of the "continuous" passive regen that these do, unless you got a 2wd (and even then) don't expect window sticker fuel economy, and most likely the mpg average is approx 2 mpg high. My average is 15.77 with an all time high of 18 and some change. All calc'd miles divided by gallons. Second gen gets 15.60 average.

That's just my observations from my year with my truck.

@JAG1, the torque on these trucks even my standard output model is there and you feel it. But the transmissions do a good job of wrangling that and not breaking everything. With the electrical nannies that are loaded in mine and im sure Turbo Terry's truck (lesser extent due to the tradesman level), there isn't a lot that will upset them driving wise.

@Turbo Terry, don't know how upfitted your truck is but the forward collision can be turned down and/or off, same with blind spot monitoring. Your traction control when turned off comes in to a lesser extent if wheel speed goes above 40 mph. Not sure if adaptive cruise control was an option for you. If it was, I recommend it more for the two lane roads (one lane each way) more than the highway/freeway. People cutting in front of you to merge will cause the truck to brake aggressively. And yes the adaptive cruise control will stop and take off again if the pause was less than 3 seconds. It is weird feeling, I hovered my foot a hair over the brake pedal the first time I did it.

I wish you luck and congratulations on the new truck. I hope your experience with the truck is much better than mine.

• Like 1

Forums are a double edged sword, both extremely helpful but also act as an echo chamber. 

If you go on hdrams forums there are a bunch of people who are very very bent out of shape about the cp4 and want Ram to fix it, especially with the redesigned pump that Turbo Terry's truck has.. Its a bit toxic in large doses.. my point is forums also create a vocal minority, and they can blow small things out of proportion.. 

Second gens are the best looking truck in my opinion (sport editions are my favorite overall), followed by the 4th gens (projector headlights especially).

2 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

very bent out of shape about the cp4

Can't believe they did that crap :spank:

I got a VW Jetta mk6 I drive to work and right of way put a conversion kit from cp4 to cp3, already got about 60k on, runs great and a piece of mind. Got it from overseas as the ones around here were hard to come by and more then double the price.

The cp4 issue is actually under investigation by either the NHTSA or something similar (NTSB?) because of accidents and safely issues associated with the pump going out.

Most people want Ram to retrofit the CPISB21(cp3) pump that 2021 and up trucks have but its a front cover and programming change as well as pump. 

• Staff

Did a quick search on the CP4 injection pump and got info concerning the class action suit involved. All I can say is that it's too bad when there are several pumps already proven reliable.

When this pump fails it throws metal chips into the fuel system and because of the warranty clause that states no warranty caused by fuel cantamination, the dealrs/ manufacturers aren't covering the sometimes $10-12,000 damage cost to repair it. IMHO our gov't tries to stop pollution at an excessive increased rate of expense paid for by the American people, when all studies show that increasing money flow thru the economy has an even geater environmental cost with increase waste and pollution in the end. Our Gov't is hosing all of us.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

@JAG1, I have a copy of a $15,000 repair order for a 5th gen due to fuel contamination. This was a true contamination issue however, the fuel had a clear gel in every filter and the tank.

It costs so much because the entire fuel system has to be replaced due to how the fuel runs through the cp4. It comes in the bottom for the cam for lubrication, then goes into the pistons for pressurization, then out to the injectors. There is no key way for the pistons to stay straight in their bores so if one catches and turns, it's metal on metal grinding away going right into your fuel rail, injectors, and returned to the tank, then into your filters.. its a poor system. 

• Sad 2

• Owner

Bosch is a European company, and Europe uses diesel fuel with more sulfur than U.S. diesel fuel. The cleaner, Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel used in America does not lubricate the CP4 as well as European diesel, makes it difficult on the CP4’s hydraulic pistons to continue working, according to the experts at Diesel Army.

Again here we come back around full circle again time for CP4 to use "2 cycle oil" to keep them from damage. Remember EU requires 460 HFRR or less. US is 520 HFRR or less. Key point is Bosch has required 460 HFRR or less since the Ultra low sulfur diesel came out it only the US that refuses to meet the requirement.

002-what-is-cp4-injection-pump-failure.j

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1