• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Parking brake cable help

• Staff

I recently had the parking brake hang up a little while leaving for work in the morning. I know the cable from the left rear wheel is in bad shape, outer casing is bunched up and looks to be the culprit. I would like to just replace both cables going to the rear wheels. They aren't very expensive on RA but there are so many I'm not entirely sure which ones to order. Am I going to have to measure the cables since there seems to be different lengths? There also seems to be a cut off, parts must have changed after 7/00. Mine was built 2/00 so I at least figured that part out. 

Truck should be in the sig but just in case it's a 2001 (man. Date of 2/00 ) ram 3500 quad cab long bed. I don't know the wheel base (some cables show WB measurments). 

Just don't want to order the wrong parts. Thanks for any help.

• Staff

It's titled and registered as an '01 though. I noticed that not long after I bought it. Didn't make sense then and still don't. Lol

I wonder if I could measure while cables are still in? There are pretty big differences in length of the new ones. Might be able to tell from that. Although I would like to see the cable end within the drum as well.

• Staff

With a production date of 2/00 it most likely is a 2000 model year but for confirmation check the VIN with the Dodge parts department.  

2000 Dodge Ram 3500  4X4 left parking brake cable part number 52009697AA.

Google search "2000 dodge ram 2500 parking brake cable 52009697AA" turned up a few places that have it.  I also found it at Rockauto,  Raybestos' number BC95818.

If the truck is a 2001 then the part number will be 52013007AA.    

Edited by IBMobile
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

According to a vin decoder and a dodge parts website (look up by vin) it's a 2001

That's strange. Like was said, Feb of 2000 should be a 2000. I always thought vehicle manufacturers swapped model years in mid to late summer....

On gas engine vehicles you can look at the emissions tag to verify model years, but obviously that doesn't work here.

Edited by Max Tune
Additional thought

• Staff

I find it odd as well. I work in the automotive industry,  model year change  over is typically in july for most.

When I first saw the build date I actually checked the title. 

Kinda wish it was an 01.5, rear disk brakes would be nice.

This is the door sticker. I even checked to make sure the vin matched the plate on the dash just in case the door was replaced. Lol

I blocked the vin in the pic but it does match.

20210718_061217.jpg

Edited by Doubletrouble

What is the 10th digit of your VIN?  (0 = 2000, 1 = 2001, 2 = 2002, ....).  10th digit is model year.

In the future you only need to obscure digits past the 10th (this is your unique sequence number)

Edited by Joe_Pool
Add info

• Staff

10th digit is a 1 in the vin.

I wasn't sure how many numbers some troll might need to do something with my vin number. I blocked out the bar code as well because it's the vin just in code. 

Here you can see the first 10 digits

20210718_061217.jpg

I guess it kind of explains why the 2001.5 truck got rear disk brakes and not the entire model year. 01.5 had to have been the actual model change over as far as physical parts and upgrades. 

Maybe they wanted to hit a certain number for production in '01 and had to change the vin designation early to meet production numbers?