• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another radiator leak thread, this the season

• Staff
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

I would have considered a temporary fix but looking down from the top of the rad to where the Crack is the tank is actually bulging slightly. Time to get it out of there before it fails in a big way. 

Wondering if a more permanent way would be to remove the silly plastic and have a sheet metal shop make a copper piece to match! We have a talented sheet metal shop in town that makes anything with copper. Everything soldered, he guarantees not to leak. I just don't know about the attatchment point if that can also be soldered. Plastic on a radiator bugs the heck out of me.

Soon we'll be able to pay 80/90 grand on a truck and have to redo everything if keeps going like this.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not much you can do with a aluminum core. Nothing but aluminum can be welded to it.

Why can't aluminum be soldered like copper radiators? As we post I'm having two items made of stainless for wood framed chimney tops. Even the corners are to be soldered for watertight.

• Staff

Replaced both batteries today. Had several sitting in the garage that needed to go to scrap anyway so I took them in when I bought the new ones for the truck.

All said and done I got 2 Dynalite batteries, group 27 750CCA for $200 

Still waiting on the new radiator to arrive, it's in the hands of FedEx so God only knows. In the mean time I took @Mopar1973Man's advise and removed the vacuum valve from the radiator cap to allow coolant expansion with out so much loss. So far so good.

I was gonna get a new cap anyway.

• Thanks 2

• Owner
16 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

In the mean time I took @Mopar1973Man's advise and removed the vacuum valve from the radiator cap to allow coolant expansion with out so much loss. So far so good.

Purely a band-aid fix for the pressure vs crack issue. Still be best get the radiator ASAP and fresh cap. I get it there is life and shipping is slow so sometimes you just gotta do the shade tree mechanic tricks to butter over till parts, money or time are available to do the repair proper.

• Staff

update***

The radiator showed up Monday. They sent one that has the cooler built in for an auto Trans. I should still be able to use it as long as all else matches up. I don't know if that's their practice, to send one that fits all or what. Haven't contacted the company yet. I'd like to install this weekend though before it gets to cold to do the cooling system flush. Once the hose freezes I won't be able to. Lol

11 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

update***

The radiator showed up Monday. They sent one that has the cooler built in for an auto Trans. I should still be able to use it as long as all else matches up. I don't know if that's their practice, to send one that fits all or what. Haven't contacted the company yet. I'd like to install this weekend though before it gets to cold to do the cooling system flush. Once the hose freezes I won't be able to. Lol

I looked on RA and I couldn't see a diesel radiator with a built in trans cooler, I can't see any cooler connections on my original although it is still fitted, are you sure you didn't get sent a gas rad.... or am I missing something which is quite possible

Edited by wil440

• Staff
7 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

. I don't know if that's their practice, to send one that fits all or what.

Be careful.  In the parts look up the diesel shows only one radiator, part #52030191AB.  The gas engine section shows one without cooling line fittings and three with the fittings; all with different part numbers than the diesel radiator.

• Staff
19 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Be careful.  In the parts look up the diesel shows only one radiator, part #52030191AB.  The gas engine section shows one without cooling line fittings and three with the fittings; all with different part numbers than the diesel radiator.

I'll reach out to the company today. I bought it through Amazon so I'll have to work through the app to get an answer.

2 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I heard back from them. They emailed me a return label. Have to print that out and ship it back to them. Once they receive it I will be issued a full refund. 

I think I will order the correct one from either rock auto or DAP has one as well. 

That's pant's

I really hope mine arrives correct or I will also own a gas rad with no chance of sending it back