• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Melted battery terminal

On the way into work my check engine light came on then turned off and I saw that the alternator voltage was low, around 12.5v or so.  I tested it running at work and it was about ~12.5v.   I then noticed that the positive battery terminal has melted on the cable coming straight from the alternator.  Would an alternator going out cause this? Bad connection? Low battery electrolytes  Any ideas?  The alternator has never been replaced.

Thanks!1259644438_batterymelt.jpg.5c5867cf9448225a5524823cd99eed1c.jpg

• Staff

This happened on my truck with cleaned terminals and it was a shorted alternator.

This happened on my work truck the day after running the grid heaters and both seat heaters on high at the same time. I wanted to see how much the alt could take.

When chasing a new or rebuilt one, I told the old guy at the counter, ''please, no Ultima brand rebuilds", as they had horrid reviews. So I let him talk me into Ultima's premium rebuild convincing me they have changed their ways and their premium rebuild is actually a good one. He put it on the test stand to show the level of AC ripple , which was very low. Over a year later and I'm on the seat heaters again but, this time after the grids are done. So far so good. Need to test the AC level again now though.