• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Loud rotational front end sqeal

Hello, I have an 01 24v 4x4. I took it on a 200 miles round trip last week. Within 10 miles of the destination I heard a noticeable loud squeal/screech intermediately at around 50 mph. I thought is could be my front pumpkin running low due to a drivers side leak, filled it up and drove home. On way home the noise was still in and out, towards the end it started to become more constant but only above 2-3rd gear. Now when I drive its is constant above 2nd gear at pretty much any speed. It sounds like it could be from the transmission but I was thinking more wheel bearing/ joint. I will jack up rear and update tomorrow. 

What I have done

New driver/passenger side wheel bearings

New both side u joints

New axel seals each side on front axle

Took of front drive shaft and drove with it off

Greased everything

New atf in transfer case

New front brakes/aren't sticking

Flushed power steering and refilled/bleed

Noise is metal on metal(sounds like) rotating above 20 mph. With windows down it sounds like drivers side wheel bearing. Also could be transmission since I hear it through other window.

Hope someone has some input on this. Dont want to pull nv5600 if i dont have to.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

Maybe they putting the rear end up on Jack stands just off the ground. Run the truck and have someone walk around to localize the noise?

That can reveal a lot but, keep folks away it's dangerous. If you have an infrared laser thermometer that can help too. Im thinking carrier bearing by just guessing. Sometimes a rubbing brake dust cover.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Owner

IR Thermometer could be had at Harbor Freight for cheap. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html?_br_psugg_q=infrared+thermometer

It's not like we are measuring temperature for exact. But these cheap temp guns do work and will temp roughly tell you how hot or cold something is. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html?_br_psugg_q=infrared+thermometer

It's not like we are measuring temperature for exact. But these cheap temp guns do work and will temp roughly tell you how hot or cold something is. 

I've been meaning to get one for a while. Problem is, when I go to harbor freight for a $25 tool somehow I spend $200 :shrug:

• Haha 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I somehow can't go cheap with some things... I like to harbor the Best when I can. Mine is a Fluke and is dead chicken nuts on (for Dripley) when testing on an accurate outdoor thermometer..

Edited by JAG1

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-2s_f_oMxEY

Just now, coleag said:

hope you guys can view this video, the sound appears to coming from the rear end. I will look into this more. Sounds close to rear u joint, could also be rear wheel but didn't get my head to close with the motor in 3rd half pinned

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You mean I should run it warm and check with laser on possible spots?

I looked under and found a metal ring on the rear differential input. Was easy to find just wasn’t thinking that area. Any clue if I can run it without this seal ring? B397D028-9D63-4259-AB56-248A592E3813.png.5b3065606f695429f7e4332d5ed622c8.pngB397D028-9D63-4259-AB56-248A592E3813.png.5b3065606f695429f7e4332d5ed622c8.pngB397D028-9D63-4259-AB56-248A592E3813.png.5b3065606f695429f7e4332d5ed622c8.png

891797A9-7497-47DB-BD07-CF5791CFEC59.png