• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd Gen Cummins heater temp differences between trucks

12 hours ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

That's the video I watched when I installed their transposer, and recalibrated my actuator.

I would try to rig up something to operate the blend door manually after removing the actuator motor.  I would make sure to position the blend door so that all of the air is passing through the heater core. and then check to see if the heater core performance has improved.  If there is nothing physically blocking the blend door travel, then theoretically, lots of hot air should come out of the vents.  

Since you are seeing an adequate temperature of the coolant, there can only really be two things wrong that would generate low heat output.  

*  Blockage of coolant passing through the heater core.

Or,

*  Blend door bypassing air round the heater core.  

You just have to figure out which one it is.

- John

• Like 2

• Staff

I bought my work truck used, one problem I had was when I dropped the blower motor out the 'squirrel cage fan was full of leaves. That's one thing and then IBMobile came up, from 800 miles away to do my Heater core. What a guy.. he is amazing. It does take awhile to warm the truck and get real heat. I think his wire diagram on switching the A/C compressor to control on/ off would be a good mod.

1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

I have a similar issue as well. I'll be watching this one to see the outcome. I just haven't dug into mine much yet since I need to replace my radiator. I'll do a system flush then. Already have a new 190° t-stat and new heater core.

:popcorn:

One thing I found was it does real good to take the garden hose and flush thru the heater core both directions by adapting the hose to the inlet outlet heater hoses. Much dirt comes out that way.

• Like 1

• Staff
49 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I bought my work truck used, one problem I had was when I dropped the blower motor out the 'squirrel cage fan was full of leaves. That's one thing and then IBMobile came up, from 800 miles away to do my Heater core. What a guy.. he is amazing. It does take awhile to warm the truck and get real heat. I think his wire diagram on switching the A/C compressor to control on/ off would be a good mod.

One thing I found was it does real good to take the garden hose and flush thru the heater core both directions by adapting the hose to the inlet outlet heater hoses. Much dirt comes out that way.

I did that not long ago when I changed the t-stat. A year or so ago I removed the hvac box, clean it, replaced the heater core and a/c coil in there and inspected the foam seals. Didn't change alot other than no more coolant on the passenger floor. Lol

• Like 1

• Staff
7 hours ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

I pulled into my shop right after driving 20 miles home from work and left my truck idling turned the heater on high and probed the heater core hoses again. Hot side was 194* and the return side was 182*.

Not much heat getting exchanged for sure. When's the last time you flushed the system and checked for tree debris inside the plenum?

I wish those plenums could have a simpler service access door to get in there for cleaning.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Still planning on making a filter for under the plastic cowl in front of the windshield. 

I glued screening to the fresh air vent openings.

IMG_7288.JPG.fce809e1f81f778576ab222b55ec954a.JPG

IMG_7292.JPG.31bacd7a7f3b832402c8ca2e4804e89a.JPG

17 hours ago, JAG1 said:

IBMobile came up, from 800 miles away to do my Heater core.

Sure did but JAG1 then helped me replace the roof on my 5th wheel.   So, we helped each other out to get some major projects done.

• Like 4

• Staff
7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Not much heat getting exchanged for sure. When's the last time you flushed the system and checked for tree debris inside the plenum?

When I replaced the heater core and evaporator core in March of 2021. I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the HVAC box.

I don't park anywhere near trees and mostly I park my truck in my climatized shop. 

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

• Staff
3 hours ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

When I replaced the heater core and evaporator core in March of 2021. I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the HVAC box.

I don't park anywhere near trees and mostly I park my truck in my climatized shop. 

Get this you guys..... @W-T Parks his truck inside a Hepa Filtered clean room. I think he even flosses his truck between parts it's so beautiful. LOL!

• Haha 2

Dan @IBMobilenice procedure to prevent debris entering the cavity...the job of removing the core for clean up is miserable job and your example really promotes clean longevity.

@JAG1...Mike, I'm not that bad...or am I ? OK, perhaps I'm a bit excessive but, my Mom had me tested and the Doctor did confirm an Excessive Compulsive disorder and advised keeping an eye on me. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Staff

@IBMobile, I am bit chicken about pulling the wiper arms. What is the best way and not damage anything?

Do you guys mark the stop position with blue tape on the windshield and then just use hands no tools? T.I.A.

Edited by JAG1

Jag, don't be afraid, but don't be stupid either.   You may have to spray lubricant a few times before trying to remove.  Try to do it without prying.   I usually have to pry them carefully.  (that is why I like most asian models, they use a stud and nut on top so you can use a puller....)    just don't pry directly against the windshield.   Just go slow and work them.  you can usually stack some plastic or wood to distribute the prying force.  ours are nice the latch "automatically" releases when you pivot them away from the windshield.

Clean everything up before you put it back together and use a little anti-sieze.   I don't worry about position really.  Once they are apart and you have cleaned them you can reposition easily.  So I just look at travel.   I am tall in the seat, so I like longer than stock wiper blades, so I usually have to reposition them so they don't hit the edge of the windshield.  If you like where yours are, the tape idea is a great method.

GL

Hag

• Thanks 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

What is the best way and not damage anything?

Have someone else do it.  

When I set out to cover the openings, I made templets out of thin carboard from cereal boxes.  I still have the templets and can do your truck at the next camp get together.

• Like 1