• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pre-start Fuel Pump Power

I let my fuel tank get below 1/4 and the "near empty" idiot light came on. Normally when I turn the key to ON, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds and gets the fuel pressure up to about 10psi. The next time I started it, the fuel pump didn't do ite pre-start run. The engine started normally and had normal fuel pressure. I filled the tank, the idiot light went OFF but the fuel pump still didn't do its pre-start run. A few starts later, and everything was back to normal. Is this a feature or a failure? :cookoo:

• Owner

Most critical numbers in my mind is... 1. HFRR score of the current fuel meeting the requirements of the VP44. (Lubricity value) 2. The fuel pressure at wide open throttle operation. Bosch requires the fuel lubricity to be of a score less than 400 HFRR for long life of the injection pump. But todays fuel averages right around 520 HFRR. I'm using 2 cycle oil to beef up the fuel lubricity but there are several products that do a really good job of adding lubricity. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/hfrr/hfrr.htm Then since there is only fuel to lubricate the injection pump during its maximum amount of stress at WOT operations should be enough fuel pressure to keep it lubed. Dodge/Cummins suggest 10 PSI as a minimum I suggest a minimum of 14 PSI. Beyond that enjoy your Dodge Cummins Truck... :cummins: