• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering gearbox and power steering pump replacement.

Here it is again haha. I know, I apologize. So, I am in a bit of a predicament. For a while I have known my steering needs to be fixed. I know that my gearbox has massive amounts of slop and I just replaced all my ball joints, tie rods and lastly drag link maybe a month ago. With that being said, I am starting to get whining and groaning from the pump as well as it getting hard to turn to the right. I know that my pump needs to be replaced (fluid is clean as a whistle and was replaced about 2 years ago and since we really havent driven but maybe 5k in it since. Since my power steering pump is on its way out I will replace it and since my steering box has slop and leaks, I will replace it as well.

With that being said, I have read a lot recently and I am stuck between redhead, bluetop, and PSC. I like the PSC the reputation is immense however, its $900. With redhead, I looked in 2015 and heard a lot of issues. I don't see anything recent per se minus a few things but are they really worth it, anyones experience? Bluetop same thing, heard a lot about them just no true experiences to me only things I have read.

Regardless, I will be going aftermarket. What are your recent experiences with any of these brands?

• Staff

I just put a redhead box on my truck and it was quite a bit better than the OEM stock unit. My buddy bought a blue top and he likes his as well. I've heard Redhead can be finicky when it comes to warranty issues, but I think it's mostly their process to figure out what the issue truly is before sending the box in for warranty/repair.

PSC is a lot of money and not having any direct experience with them, I don't know if paying twice the money is worth going that route unless you intend on running 37"+ size tires.

https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3dcartstores.com/2869-4-94-02-Dodge-Ram-1500-2500-3500-2X4-4X4-181-_p_39.html

You can send in your OEM (not aftermarket) steering gear and they will rebuild yours into their blue top gear box. The blue top is cheaper than the redhead and probably has better customer service.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Threadzy said:

While you have the pump out I would put a new vacuum pump seal kit in. 

That will be the plan too. Might as well since I'm in there. Honestly, It irks me that I just did my radiator for overheating issues (kept hearing gurgling and found a pin hole) right after I did that the water pump started leaking through the weep hole from the now normal pressure. I should have just spent all of that at once and did this just for peace of mind. Mine is going on 280k but she does sit quite a bit as I am usually on the motorcycle most of the time. I just happen to have a lot of cash sitting aside at the moment and we are intending to keep the truck until we really truly have to get rid of it. I figured now is as good of a time as any other to start fixing the bad stuff and doing some minor rebuilds. During the summer hopefully I will replace the AC compressor, condenser, and evaporator depending on how everything holds vacuum wise as the previous owner just bypassed ecverything. I'll start with the compressor and a flush/ rebuild first. Am I taking on too much?? haha

1 hour ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

I just put a redhead box on my truck and it was quite a bit better than the OEM stock unit. My buddy bought a blue top and he likes his as well. I've heard Redhead can be finicky when it comes to warranty issues, but I think it's mostly their process to figure out what the issue truly is before sending the box in for warranty/repair.

PSC is a lot of money and not having any direct experience with them, I don't know if paying twice the money is worth going that route unless you intend on running 37"+ size tires.

https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3dcartstores.com/2869-4-94-02-Dodge-Ram-1500-2500-3500-2X4-4X4-181-_p_39.html

You can send in your OEM (not aftermarket) steering gear and they will rebuild yours into their blue top gear box. The blue top is cheaper than the redhead and probably has better customer service.

I am so happy you put this info up here. I totally agree with the PSC thing that's why I am not keen on it. My ultimate grab though is always customer service. I get it if you have a bad product too but at least good customer service doesn't make me feel as bad about any issues that may arise. The warranty issues were things I was seeing. Lots of people not getting their core return money back, hearing someone say we never got it. but the thing I wondered about the most was seeing around that time how many of the boxes came straight from them and leaked right off the bat, etc... They stood behind it but I also don't need my truck down like that with us heading into the worst parts of winter here. I've really been leaning Blue top with what I have been hearing.

• Like 2

Ya these trucks aren’t getting any younger but who is? 😂 I just had to replace my water pump again. Maybe had 20k on it. Parked it at my dads turned around and coolant started pouring out of the back of the pump. Things that you are doing are expected. Normal wear and tear. Cheaper than a new truck. Most of the issues and bad reps these trucks get are from previous owners “repairs” or fixes. Like the noise isolation filter for the autos when jumping in and out of lockup. It’s a bandaid fix and the high AC noise is still frying the PCM and ECM’s. 

• Like 1

I installed a Redhead last year and haven't had any issues with it.  I actually found another core box to send in so my truck didn't have to be sitting apart waiting for the new one to show up.  I found the core for $50 on facebook market place.  The nice thing about these trucks was Redhead didn't need the same gear box back, they said I could have given them a gasser gear box as a core.  I know Mike has a Blue top and he seems to love it as well.  

• Owner
1 hour ago, Sycostang67 said:

I know Mike has a Blue top and he seems to love it as well

With my BlueTop I'm enjoying driving my Cummins more so being I've got a Quick Ratio steering box. This can only be done on stock or smaller tires which I've got. I'm way impressed with quick ratio over a stock box way tighter feeling and quick reaction out of the steering.  Comparing mine to other customers rigs mine feels factory fresh like the day I bought but just a touch better. I stayed with Blue Top because of the case is still a sagnaw. Really easy to rebuild and adjust later on. I've gotten over 350k miles on my stock box before the input seal failed. Yeah this means you need to do fluid flushes every 30k miles. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man