• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Swap Autometer gauges for Glow Shift ones???

Hey everyone,

I'm tossing around the idea of changing out my Autometer gauges for Glow Shift ones because the Glow Shift ones have some neat lighting!!:hyper: My question is what do you guys think about that? Are the Glow Shift gauges good?:shrug: I don't want to lose quality for looks...:neutral:

Plus my Autometer fuel pressure gauge has a little ding in it from the previous owner which isn't a big deal, just a little cosmetic problem...:(

And all of them work just to level things out.:thumbup2:

These are what I have right now:

Posted Image

These are what I'm looking at:

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1816&d=1285716419

Thanks,

Winslow

Well GlowShift is one of the cheaper gauges on the market but fairly popular too. I tend to agree the the GlowShift gauge look better over the Autometer. Not to mention your 0-100 PSI fuel pressure gauge is a bit wide don't you think?

Yeah it is and yeah they look better too essp. at night. The AMs are just a plain white light bulb that doesn't really match anything inside the truck. The high psi was a previous owner deal and is one reason I'm thinking about the swap. Kinda hard to get an accurate reading with it. Plus I got a trade offer so that is a reason also. My biggest concern is the quality. I know Autometer gauges are good, just don't know much about the GlowShift ones.:shrug:

Gauges are most accurate when they are reading in the middle of the sweep. Since yours looks like it comes to life at 10psi and barely goes up to get to 20psi, I would be really weary of that. Try to get one that tops out at maybe 25psi so that the middle is ~15.

sweet...those are my buddies from here in Indy...that is the actual picture.:thumbup2:

Gauges are most accurate when they are reading in the middle of the sweep. Since yours looks like it comes to life at 10psi and barely goes up to get to 20psi, I would be really weary of that. Try to get one that tops out at maybe 25psi so that the middle is ~15.

Yeah he PMed me about them last night and got me thinking. The plan is to do a trade for a high idler so I'm checking into them as I really like the way they look!!:thumbup2: Yeah my Autometer FP is reading on the lower (way lower) part of the gauge for sure. The other two are fine I think. But AM doesn't make a 0-30 psi gauge unless it is electric and cost like $250!!!:ahhh::spend: So you guys think the GlowShifts are decent quality?:shrug:

Yeah I think the gauges are fine but i heard plenty of bad stories about the GS a-pillar pods though... :rolleyes:

That's fine, I don't plan to use the a-pillar as mine has the speaker hole and the GS doesn't. Plus my plan is to reuse me wires, EGT probe, ect to simplify the swap. I'll have to run the FP electric sensor to my AN line but that shouldn't be a big problem. Probably just get a -4 to 1/8 NPT fitting or just a coupler to go from my needle valve to the sender.:thumbup2:

like what? i have been planning on getting a set of gauges. GLOW SHIFT is the most reasonable priced, but sometimes you get what u paid for...but i would like to find a sweet deal

I might be able to help you out once I get me truck up and going or you might just PM this guy and see if he wants to work out a deal with you.:thumbup2:http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showthread.php/2460-gloshift-gauges-and-JVC-head-unit-for-sale-of-trade

• 3 weeks later...

I have auto meter boost and pyro gauges, and I have a glowshift fuel gauge, the glowshift is the most reliable out of the 3, the only thing I dont like about this particular glowshift gauge is the lights are always on. my AM pyro gauge always seems to do whacky things like stop sweeping or even an inverted sweep until I flick it really hard. eventually I will ditch the AM's

I have auto meter boost and pyro gauges, and I have a glowshift fuel gauge, the glowshift is the most reliable out of the 3, the only thing I dont like about this particular glowshift gauge is the lights are always on. my AM pyro gauge always seems to do whacky things like stop sweeping or even an inverted sweep until I flick it really hard. eventually I will ditch the AM's

That's interesting b/c my AMs work really well and I've got no clue how old the the boost and fuel psi are, but I replaced the pyrometer right after I bought the truck so it is like 15 months old. It has worked well the entire time.:thumbup2: I've got a friend that is interested in the GS so I'll probably just sell them to him... if he comes up with the :spend:

Autometer are very good guages. Manufactured in the United States, employing Americans.

maybe i just got the one defunct pyro gauge ever made :shrug: it came with the truck though. as far as american made, hey i'm not against buying american, but I still remember my grandfather opening the closet door and it broke off and him yelling cheap american...... but hey cummins is american so id say its not all that bad. :thumb1:

maybe i just got the one defunct pyro gauge ever made :shrug: it came with the truck though. as far as american made, hey i'm not against buying american, but I still remember my grandfather opening the closet door and it broke off and him yelling cheap american...... but hey cummins is american so id say its not all that bad. :thumb1:

I'm sure it happens every now and then. But you have no idea how old it is either. Mine went bad too but has worked like a charm since I replaced it over a year ago!:thumbup2:

Today I installed new Autometer guages on my pillar post. Autometer Light Oil Pressure and Fuel Pressure. There showing 55 pounds oil pressure and 25 pounds fuel pressure at idle. I replaced the factory lift pump with a DDRP from Fass Looks A-Okay to me.

Today I installed new Autometer guages on my pillar post. Autometer Light Oil Pressure and Fuel Pressure. There showing 55 pounds oil pressure and 25 pounds fuel pressure at idle. I replaced the factory lift pump with a DDRP from Fass Looks A-Okay to me.

Fuel pressure is a little high. Suppose to be under 20 psi to prevent damage to the diaphragm inside the VP. I know there are some that will argue, but most should agree.:thumbup2: