• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Angry & can't do it anymore, serious iQuad timing issues

• Owner

:shrug: Test the injectors... If you wanna do a compression test while the injectors are out you can verify the cylinder health. Worth it to know what the health of the cylinder and piston.

I just a member call me about his truck and the amount of blow by and losing the tappet gasket. After doing the compression test he was low on 5 and 6 (funny the too hottest cylinders). So he's into doing a full rebuild. Sad to say...

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:shrug: Test the injectors... If you wanna do a compression test while the injectors are out you can verify the cylinder health. Worth it to know what the health of the cylinder and piston

When we're chatting via text a few weeks back I did a compression test and it had good numbers, really good. Not to say something couldn't be wrong there but it's not pointing that way I believe. 

Maybe I'll have to buy another dang set of injectors just for this mess, I've swapped them idk how many times waiting in-between.  See if dap will hook me up - Idk yet

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Great work! said:

Make sure the valve stem is higher then the spring retainers and that the tappers are not worn down. the tappers should never make contact with the retainer only the stem.

I'll have to pull the valve cover back off again in the morning and check. Prolly try and get some pics. The PO put the dual springs in (not sure on lbs) I assume he used new hardware but who knows. Gonna run my overhead once AGAIN to verify the verify....

https://youtu.be/z2AxqyZ7fgc

Here's another snippet, pushed the little black plastic pieces down away from the rockers, moves freely now. What else besides taking it all apart? 

15 hours ago, Great work! said:

Make sure the valve stem is higher then the spring retainers and that the tappers are not worn down. the tappers should never make contact with the retainer only the stem.

20220501_120537.jpg.91dc8e54f2995d925c6e0a9cdbdf219a.jpg

I'd have to completely pull everything apart to properly check, am I wrong? 

So those retainers being up against the rocker like that prolly wouldn't have cause a tick or tap would it? I don't think it would, if it was bound up the plastic piece would have just broken off. 

What else can I check? I would say just drive it but you can really hear it more while driving interstate just cruising. Makes me paranoid!

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I think you are chasing nothing.  Vp trucks clack and rattle good at 1500-2000 with high timing.

I guess "send it" would be a good choice of words lol...  I guess I'll try and quit worrying about it....

@Me78569 since I got my additional set of injectors 7x .011 sac, I was looking at the tune store would your daily tune work with my setup or perhaps @Mopar1973Man mpg tune? Your daily tune is roughly the only one that would be close to the same stuff I have mod wise...

28 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I'd run the same tune and make minor adjustments to the fuel curve if needed.  7 x.011's and 6 x .013 are reasonably close to only need minor adjustments

Roger that, I'll keep the 15,19,25,28,30 with the 90%^ +2/+4 and rock on. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess no matter what size injectors I get I'm still a hot mess. 

Average 750* cruising about 70 mph with a big increase in engine load at about 26%.

I'm really not super convinced that the tick tap I got is timing, maybe a tad but I prolly got some valve issues... owell guess I'll find out when it breaks lol, pretty much have to pull the head to really find out. 

@Mopar1973Man when you coming to Missouri with your fix it service? I need some help! 

Idk if this tune is helping or hurting. 

9 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

750 at 70 mph doesn't sound broken to me.

Even with the engine load up from where it was? Average 20-21%

Maybe I'll back it down again to 65 and see how it acts. 

I don't have any smoke right now so I was wanting to bump up the fueling a tad for a little better get up down low. But im afraid for egt sake. Boost still seems low when getting on it though. 

• Owner

Towing to where I'm at in California I ran about 800°F at 65 MPH but with the RV and ATV in the truck bed roughly 17,500 pounds. 

My tow tune doesn't get above stock fuel till 10 PSI of boost. My economy tune does get above stock fuel till 15 PSI. Every below that is 100% or less. I place my power band up higher not down low you only make lots of EGTs because the boost is too low for making power. Fuel map need to built around your turbo more so.

Edited by Mopar1973Man