• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What shocks are you running and why?

• Staff

I believe it's time for shocks. I've had the death wobble happen a few isolated times and have checked everything. All steering seems tight. Can't feel any play in the ball joints either. So, I'm going to say the shocks could be at least partially to blame. At 21 years old with 165k on them I'm leaning that way. Along with the steering damper. 

My question is what are you running? Why did you choose them? How are they performing for you? 

At this point in time I'm thinking of Rancho RS5000's and the Rancho steering damper as well. 

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks.

I’m running Bilstein 5100’s in the front and KYB Gas A Just in the rear. My entire front end is new with Moog parts, but years ago when I had death wobble it was fixed with a fresh track bar. I did replace the steering damper, originally with a KYB unit, but didn’t like it (I can’t remember why) and I replaced that with a factory mopar damper. 

• Staff

@Andyba20, not sure what brand it was. Ordered them from rock auto.

@Stanley, I get that if I were running oversize tires or something but I'm on stock tire size and stock steel wheels with covers. Don't really see the need for such an upgrade in my situation. 

I do also need to get under the front and check the alignment. Just mainly to rule that out.

At this point I suspect the shocks and damper more than anything else.

I know it's a 3500 but trying to avoid shocks that would make her ride even stiffer than stock for what it's worth.

Was looking at Monroe gas charged but RA only has one in stock. Lol on clearence.

clearance. Anyone ever use Gabriel shocks?

I’m not a brand snob, but got some cheap parts store tie rods ends one time and they lasted about 50 miles. And the Bilsteins were harsh when I installed them, so harsh I thought I’d made a mistake, but after a few hundred miles they softened up and are perfect. 

My truck would jar your teeth on any pavement imperfections. Put the 5100s on and while it still rides like a 2002 one ton truck, it's night and day on the smoothness. On the F-350 I went with Bilstein 4600. They tamed that heavy truck and ride very smooth, but I wish I would have went with 5100s on it also as the valving is a little stiffer. It rides like a couch, but I personally don't like that. I like a firmer, more controlled feel. It's really a matter of perspective. I like a truck that feels like a truck.

I installed Bilstein 4600's front and rear about 140,000 miles ago.  I have no complaints and the truck still handles well.  I installed a Rare Parts track bar about 130,000 miles ago and so far it is doing what it is supposed to do.  I have never experienced the death wobble or anything close to it.

- John

I put Bilstein 4600s on my truck several years ago and the fronts were junk after around 50k miles, per jounce test. Predominantly highway driving and mild driving through job sites. Thoroughly unimpressed. The rears are still going great.

I can't remember what's in the garage waiting to go on, but they weren't expensive.

• Staff

Bilsteins are one of the most expensive. More of an off road shock I would think but not sure. I don't really do much off roading. Just like to get something that will ride as decent as a 1 ton truck can. I don't expect luxury car smooth just tame it down some. The rear is a bit harsh anyway with those huge springs. Lol

32 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I ran Rancho 5100 for over 200k miles no issues. Now I've got KYB's and still doing good. I just don't see the money for Bilsteins shocks they are not that good in my opinion. 

Which KYB shocks are toy running? They have some "regular" shocks and some that look like a rancho with a boot on them.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

Was looking at Monroe gas charged but RA only has one in stock. Lol on clearence.

Last month I bought 2 Monrow rear shocks for a Volvo from Rock Auto.  They listed them as the last 2 on clearance and half off.  When I got them the Monrow boxes were taped up like they had been returned.  They installed and worked fine.  I checked RA web site a week later and they had more of them at full price.   I use Monrow shocks in Volvos because they give a softer ride. 

This week I installed a set of Bilstein shocks on a 07 Toyota Tacoma rear axle, need to do the front axle next week, and find that the "gas charge pressure" of the Bilstein shock is much greater than the Monrow shock.  It took a lot more force to compress the Bilstein shock than the Monrow shock.

I had originally ordered the Monroe’s. Picked them up and they looked like they’d been in a fight with bear. 1 of the 2 was busted out of the box. I sent them back and got the KYB gas adjust. Happy with both brands. Monroe sells millions of those things, I think it’s a quality control thing. You either get a good that lasts, or a bad one. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now I've got KYB's and still doing good.

Now that you say that, I think based on you saying this before I bought some fronts.

I used to run Monroe Sensa-Tracs on anything, if available, and thought they were just fine. They don't make them anymore, or rebranded.

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

didn't know why

I would guess for "look at me" reasons. BUT if a guy spent a lot of time off road and at speed, splitting the damping between two shocks (per side) would split the heat load. All that energy shocks absorb is turned to heat and has to dissipate. Two shocks gives twice the surface area. They would need to be valved differently so it wouldn't ride like a hardtail, thus reducing heat per shock.