• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What shocks are you running and why?

• Owner

That is one thing about KYB shocks they are not super stiff. That one part about Bilstein shocks being they are charged with more pressure makes for super bumpy ride especially like washboard dirt roads. A softer shock is much better and doesn't beat you to death. Both the Rancho 5100 lasted a super long time and the KYB are going good too no excessive bounce at all. I've got KYB on both Thor and Beast.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Bilstein 5100s on my truck, supposed to be "Carli tuned". I don't believe that for a second. My set were really stiff but they have either loosened up or my sled pulling weight puts enough to put them on a different area in the internal valving.. They are actually doing the blown shock type bounce when coming to a stop but they aren't that old.. I don't think.. 

• Owner

I had the experience of installing two sets of bilstein shocks. In neither vehicle i was not impressed. Stiff ride. But that's what customers want. Me I'll most like go back to Ranchos 5100 being the lasted so long, never leaked oil and softer ride. When you off road then you want softer shocks not stiff.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I had the experience of installing two sets of bilstein shocks. In neither vehicle i was not impressed. Stiff ride

This is what I like about them on my VW Passat, but unlike the Bilstein units that fit our trucks, these are actually made for the car and just "well, they fit".

If course right now the front of my truck is like having no shocks at all. Hit a dip in the road and you sway back and forth like a rocking chair. Unsafe, in my opinion. Can hardly wait to put the KYBs on. Just can't do much for a few more weeks while my back heals.

I ran a set of the Bilstein 5100's for a few thousand miles.  I pulled them off and sold them, way too jarring.  I switched to a set of Monroe Reflex shocks and have not regretted it.  My wife even noticed how much smoother the truck was.  It still rides like a truck but I swear the Bilsteins didn't compress at all in comparison.  

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Shocks are installed. Seemed to help quite a bit. Still have a slight "choppy" feeling. Not sure I got the top shock mounts tight enough. The top is a stud with the bushings and a nut. A little nub to try to hold the shaft while tightening the nut. I tries a small wrench but I couldn't get the nylok nut to budge anymore. The rubber bushings seem like they should squish a little more. 

• 1 month later...

Depending on material of bushing, I don't think they should be ‘squished’ much. Snug is good. Sort of like sidewall for tire? If they wanted it designed super tight would come with a rod end.

So when my shocks failed, truck would bounce down the road after small bump for 1/4 mile (springs return, no dampeners). Fairly easy test, if they're really shot. Jump on bumper and see how many times it bounces. More than 2 small probably shot. When I removed the shocks you could compress them all the way by one hand in a second, and would maybe regain length in a minute. 

Another test, high speed up and down (only)bounce/death wobble/ reverberation. Best I can explain, thats before complete failure though.

I always wanted Fox shocks, and there was already a sticker on my window, so thats what I got. 2.0 IFP. 650$~ for 4. Not too bad for some stickers. The next step up with reservoirs would have been like 2k. Not for my application.

I like them, they work well for me. Fairly stiff/responsive and effective. Have hit bump stop with only minor front end pavement contact loss however. Not for Baja superman stuff. About 10k miles on them. 

My peev with the expensive reservoirs is that they’re rarely adjusted after, used for looks mostly. If going that route, get a hose extension and mount them inside the cab for on the fly tuning.

Edited by SVALIN
Answer post question

• Staff

My idea is to keep it simple with using a good brand name shock. Currently both trucks have KYB's. The stock replacements work very good on my 01 work truck and the MonoMax for the RV camper truck that hauls heavy. I think they last awhile too if you like to save money. I think Mopar1973Man uses regular ole Monroe stock replacements from Napa with good results.