• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering questions

• Staff

So, I've stated before in another thread that I have experienced occasional death wobble. It's very annoying. If I hit a bump just right everything goes haywire 

Anyway, I got under the front end today while my son was turning g the steering wheel, there is some play within the steering gear box itself. Could this cause the wobbles? 

I know how to adjust the box, I'll get to that tomorrow. Just wondering if this could be the cause of my problems.

I have replaced so far, both front shocks, left outer tie rod end. The rest of the tie rods seem to be tight, ball joints good to. 

First, I will say that I have never experienced death wobble, nor do I know of anyone who has.  However, I have done much reading on the topic over the years just because it interests me. 

It seems that there is no absolute cause and effect which can make diagnosing the problem very difficult.  One thing that seems to stand out is that trucks with larger than stock tires and wheels favor getting the death wobble compared to trucks with stock tires and wheels.  I am not in any way suggesting that larger tires / wheels are the cause, but larger tires / wheels do carry a lot more rotating mass, so when the death wobble is triggered, that energy can keep it going if conditions are right.

Many have done a single repair and said, "It's cured!", only to find out that it was just masked and returned a few months later.

If I were in your shoes, I would post all relevant information regarding the history of your truck such as, total miles on truck, total miles you have driven it, tire size and wheel size, when and what steering / suspension repairs have been done, etc.  When did your death wobble first occur?

The first thing I would is get an alignment check from a reputable shop and get a printout of the measurements for caster, camber, and toe.  I would especially be interested in the caster setting.

1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

there is some play within the steering gear box itself. Could this cause the wobbles? 

I personally don't think it would be the cause, but it could definitely be a contributor.  The cause for death wobble (coming from some in-depth sources) seems to be when a specific resonance is generated by a trigger, usually a certain type of bump in the roadway.  When this resonance is set in motion, it is sustained by using the energy released from dynamic suspension components and the rotating mass of the wheels / tires.  The resonance has to change amplitude / frequency before it will stop.  This is usually done by slowing the vehicle.

Another consensus is that several slightly worn steering / suspension parts can also cause the death wobble. 

I would think it through thoroughly before I would start changing out components.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

• Staff

I ha e done some reading as well @Tractorman, just a little info. The truck has the stock wheels and stock size tires. (235/85/16 l believe). Track bar was replaced last fall, left outer tie rod 2 months ago, and new front shocks a week ago. Then today i find the play in the steering box. Could it be the end all cure? I dont know but i belive it could be a contributing trigger for it.

Have you ever had alignment checked and recorded?  A positive caster of 3° to 4.5° would be a good setting for the steering to return to center well and keeping the truck tracking straight on its own.

What are the miles on the truck?  Is the steering gearbox original?  Have you always had the death wobble, or did it just start?

Check steering gearbox mounting bolts for tightness and recheck your newly installed track bar for tightness, especially where it attaches to the axle.  Sometimes the bolt is not tightened enough to clamp the metal ears to the inner steel bushing inside the track bar end.

Can you give details of your method of checking steering components and upper / lower ball joints?

How new are the tires?  Are they wearing evenly?  Has the death wobble occurred before and after scheduled tire rotation?

Lots of question, I know, but the more information you post, the more likely for you to get some good information from other members.

- John

• Staff

Never had it in an alignment shop. Truck tracks straight down the road, front tires are wearing evenly, they were new when bought, about 30k on them pressures correct. Truck has 166k on it. I belive the steering box is original.

Death wobble first happened over a year ago. It's only happened 3 times total. Just don't want it to be a regular thing.

I'm starting to get a nasty wheel out of balance wobble at certain MPH BUT I know for a fact my wheels are not balanced as with the tyes I have matey the guy who fitted them couldn't actually get enough weights on the rims.  Front treads are wearing anyhow, outside of the left tyre is feathered and the inside of the right tyre is feathered, I think it has to be the control arms are not right.... but they are both the same, truck has never been bent

Tow in would give feathering on both outer edges, tow out would give feathering on both inner edges

Here's a clue, on taking the old tyres off there was a pile of bead stuff inside the tyres, never gave it a thought..... now I have

£70 for beads to balance my size tyres

No alignment shops here for the record

As you drive your truck for the next few days, make sure the steering wheel movement is very free in the straight ahead position.  If steering feels like it is hanging or sticky in the straight ahead position, the adjustment is too tight.  Too tight can also stress the worm gear drive assembly that interfaces with the ball nut.

The adjustment you made sets a minimal clearance between the sector shaft and the ball nut and this adjustment must be done with the steering gear centered - not necessarily the steering wheel centered.  When done properly, a preload will be established between the sector shaft and the ball nut with steering gear centered.  When the steering gear is turned either left or right from center the preload will disappear and the clearance will grow.  This is normal.

Usually, this adjustment is done on the bench and the drag is measured with an inch-pound torque wrench on the steering input shaft to establish the correct preload as the steering gear passes over center.  

It is fine to make the adjustment on the truck, but one must remember there is no real feel for the proper setting because the steering wheel input and the pitman arm output (with associated steering linkage) will mask the feel of the expected drag when the steering gear is passing over the center position.

You may already know this..., but, just in case you don't.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Thanks 3