• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

yo - what do you tow with on your edge COMP ................ what level ?? when towing heavy

Your going to think I'm nuts... My edge Comp never leaves 5x5... I drive by EGT's and keep the MPG's up... So if my weight of load is heavy I'm not driving fast by no means... 55 MPH typically loaded is my max speed. That will put my EGT's around 800-900*F... post-2-138698171433_thumb.jpg Because what I found that if you run say 5x3 or 3x3 or any level or sublevel below a 5 you now lose you MPG numbers... Main number is how much fuel and timing you get max. Then the sublevel is how fast you get to the max fuel and timing. So if you reduce either sublevel or main level your reducing your timing one way or another. The other factor is boost more boost means retarded timing and increased fuel so drive in a manner to reduce you boost as much as you can.

Your going to think I'm nuts...

My edge Comp never leaves 5x5... I drive by EGT's and keep the MPG's up... So if my weight of load is heavy I'm not driving fast by no means... 55 MPH typically loaded is my max speed. That will put my EGT's around 800-900*F...

I run all day long at 1,100*F and not even sweat it... 1,200*F is my breaking point... I tend to back out of that. As for short term stabs I've been clean up to 1,400*F but under 15-20 seconds... And hauling heavy still on 5x5... :stuned: Idaho isn't for the weak and light hearted... Go big or go home!

Yeah I was running 1100-1150 comming into flagstaff (7000ft) for like 90 minutes - was getting me a bit nervous. So many small hills up running in that low gear (OD).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1959[/ATTACH]

Wholly shmolly !!! .......................... I don't know if my truck would make that towing - serious .........................eeek :stuned: I think I did like a 10% grade and I had to drop to 40MPH and keep my boost at like 28 in order to keep my EGTS at 950-1000. She was working then.

I think your pretty close to the rest of us. Your problem is the HY35 chokes out a little lower and also restricts exhaust.I just took the same trailer at the beginning of this thread to a 15% grade hill about 15 miles from here and I am doing about 1350-1400 to hold 70 up it in 5th. Downshifting is the best thing to do and slow down on any big hills.

• Owner

I think your pretty close to the rest of us. Your problem is the HY35 chokes out a little lower and also restricts exhaust.

I think ISX has a point... Automatics with a Hy35 turbo has a 9cm2 exhaust housing and then the maunal trans truck have a HX35 with a 12cm2 exhaust housing so you could gain alittle from upgrading to a HX35 turbo.

I think ISX has a point... Automatics with a Hy35 turbo has a 9cm2 exhaust housing and then the maunal trans truck have a HX35 with a 12cm2 exhaust housing so you could gain alittle from upgrading to a HX35 turbo.

I've been thinking about that seriously ....... except say I can pick up a HX35 good used for $200. Might drop 50 EGT ?? *guessing* or spend $800 for a good used larger turbo (s300) and drop 100 EGT *guessing* or spend $300 for a methanol/injection - and get 150 drop EGT *guessing* catch my drift ?? The turbo would be nice for other reasons - but on a cost basis :shrug:

This tank is even more interesting based on how I drove. 288 Miles75 miles-76mph75 miles-70mph50 miles-Trailer going up all the hills and everything around here 70mph 88 miles-unloaded 60mph14.4 GallonsMeans exactly 20mpg :lol: Don't ask me how it does it :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...