• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Topped it off today and I thought it would only be 10mpg based on how I was driving. There were several long steep hills lasting maybe 1/2-3/4 of a mile and I would hold it at 65-70. I went that fast the entire way there and back. The A/C was also on full blast for the duration of the trip. That should have yielded me about 21-22mpg unloaded.

This tank was with the trailer on it the whole time, did a lot of miles around jefferson city to go shopping (sisters bday). Ended up being right at 500.6 miles at the gas station and 29.013 gallons means 17.25 mpg. Sooo I'm very amazed. The trailer only weighs about 4000 but the billboard effect really loads it down. I had a quart of 2 stroke in that tank.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210

Well, I've never got mpgs like I do with our new-to-us camper... 10.4 mpg. Mostly highway driving. 4:10 gears like it says in my signature. Kept the speed 55-60. Yup, totally flat front, towing a bill-board!! Ran 3 tanks through. I'm used to feathering the go pedal & coasting down hill but this has all the aerodynamics of a brick... i had top keep power on even down hill.

Well, I've never got mpgs like I do with our new-to-us camper... 10.4 mpg. Mostly highway driving. 4:10 gears like it says in my signature. Kept the speed 55-60. Yup, totally flat front, towing a bill-board!! Ran 3 tanks through. I'm used to feathering the go pedal & coasting down hill but this has all the aerodynamics of a brick... i had top keep power on even down hill.

The guy we ride with has a camper like yours, well pretty identical really. I want to pull it and see what I get. He pulls it with a 2005 F250 with the 5.4 in it... Can you say 5mpg? He has it to the floor the entire time just to get anywhere. Hopefully he will trade me trailers next time.

--- Update to the previous post...

Geez... Not bad ISX it about as good as my 8x8x2 of firewood on the trailer and the 1 cord on the bed...:thumbup2:

It's really hard to kill the MPG's to the point of 14.1 MPG... I've only done it once... :stuned:

Put a billboard in front of your firewood, then we will compare :lmao: My ford would pull 5000lbs of crap on a flatbed easily, but it topped out at 60 with the other trailer, if I let it go into OD I ended up losing speed. Right now I am trying to beat Dorkweed's mileage, he seems to be beating me :lol: Maybe I need propane injection or something and hide the tank so you guys don't know I am using it lol

• Owner

Put a billboard in front of your firewood, then we will compare :lmao: My ford would pull 5000lbs of crap on a flatbed easily, but it topped out at 60 with the other trailer, if I let it go into OD I ended up losing speed. Right now I am trying to beat Dorkweed's mileage, he seems to be beating me :lol: Maybe I need propane injection or something and hide the tank so you guys don't know I am using it lol

Hey now... Everyone here is hitting good numbers without drugs... :nono:

Give you something to think about my best with just the empty flatbed trailer so far is about 18 MPG... But I've got a few friend in NewMeadows that are going to help me re-do the axle on the trailer (less drag)...

Hey now... Everyone here is hitting good numbers without drugs... :nono:

Give you something to think about my best with just the empty flatbed trailer so far is about 18 MPG... But I've got a few friend in NewMeadows that are going to help me re-do the axle on the trailer (less drag)...

2 stroke is a drug :lmao:

And how is it you get 18 unloaded yet I am "about as good as my 8x8x2 of firewood on the trailer and the 1 cord on the bed"... that would mean you get better than 17.25 loaded and yet only 18 unloaded? So with alllll that wood, you see less than .75mpg difference.

since getting my truck back on the road my milage has gone from 18.5-19 to 20mpg. I do have a new vp44 from blue chip and now run 2 cycle. i tow a 36' cardinal 5th wheel weighing approw 13.5 to 14k. it is 12' 8" tall. ibelieve that qualifies as a billboard, and got 10 t0 10.5 mpg running 70 mph in 5th or 6th gear. i have not towed the trailer yet after my repairs to know the milage yet. i hope it is better we'll see.since my previous dodge had a v10 i am extremely happy with my milage.

:iagree: then i found out my stock lift pump was out. after i put the airdog on, my loaded milage(bury\boring machinery) jumped to ~11-13. i learned to drive slow and was getting mid 14s before i sold that equipment

My right foot has always been a lot heavier than it should be:shrug:. gonna go back home next weekend and haul my rv back and see what kinda milage i get. sent my right foot to jenny craig.

Man - I wish I could have got ISX to tow my 5th wheel :P - whats that 12v weigh isx and rated to tow btw ?? I get 11-13 with around 9000-10000 lbs. Can't seem to get any better - I generally keep at 60 - but sometimes on a big hill i will briing to 70 to help me get further up and avoid dropping gears. I hear occasionally of 3rd gen guys getting 16-18mpg ...... but I am thinking this is not hand calculated ........... Best I have seen is ISX - and then I wonder - why do the 24V get less MPG ...... I means its not like 1-2 mpg - its like 6-8 mpg ??? don't get it ...... especially since 24v don't have any emissions stuff really :shrug:

Man - I wish I could have got ISX to tow my 5th wheel :P - whats that 12v weigh isx and rated to tow btw ?? I get 11-13 with around 9000-10000 lbs. Can't seem to get any better - I generally keep at 60 - but sometimes on a big hill i will briing to 70 to help me get further up and avoid dropping gears. I hear occasionally of 3rd gen guys getting 16-18mpg ...... but I am thinking this is not hand calculated ........... Best I have seen is ISX - and then I wonder - why do the 24V get less MPG ...... I means its not like 1-2 mpg - its like 6-8 mpg ??? don't get it ...... especially since 24v don't have any emissions stuff really :shrug:

I think my particular truck has a rating of 14,000lb trailer. The engine weighs about the same as yours. They keep saying the 24V is heavier but I don't see how when I have that huge P7100. I don't know if you are talking in towing or unloaded terms. Everything is relative, I have never figured out mileage for something as heavy as you pulled. I might have pulled that heavy when I pulled a powerstroke on a huge bumperpull trailer, I didn't figure mileage though. Towing you are getting the same as everyone else. I don't know where you are reading this crap about the 3rd gens, they don't get 16-18 pulling the same trailer as you. Dorkweed gets 18 pulling his "5x8 trailer loaded down, with a small johnboat lashed to the top", that's not exactly a 10,000lb camper, if he had your camper I am sure he and anyone else who pulled it would be in the same 11-13 range. I'd like to see what I got pulling it though :lol: Unloaded, I think you said the best you ever got was 20. Mike told me that the stock 24V has such retarded timing that you are lucky to EVER see 20. He said to turn the chip to 5x5 and it will be as good as it gets. He has pulled off 25 so that shows he isn't lieing lol. As for me, I think driving habit has a lot to do with it and the area I drive in. When we went to that NAPA store is basically my route all the time. I do 55 everywhere and dont get much higher. At the same time I don't screw around in town, which is why the only time I ever get pulled over is in town. I usually try to do 40-45 minimum everywhere. According to my new EGT gauge, the max I hit going to town and back (20 mile trip) was 649F. Mike even said "Keep it under 600F and 5psi and you will see over 20mpg", from what I can tell this is a surefire way to get it. 4wd will also deduct you.. Your cad thing was also stuck in 4wd so now it should be a little better mpg. Your truck sits higher, your tires are bigger.. I have a lot of advantages. Driving around in st louis isn't where you will get any mileage either haha. Drive somewhere at 55 without the trailer with the chip on 5x5 and do the 600F/5psi rule and I bet you will get a good number. Another thing, I lug the hell out of it. I don't get over 1750RPM hardly ever, mainly only when I finally get in 5th and am on the interstate, but at 55 I am only around 1650 or something.

Towing you are getting the same as everyone else. I don't know where you are reading this crap about the 3rd gens, they don't get 16-18 pulling the same trailer as you.

Heard it twice from guys on way down here - would ask them when fueling up - hard to know if to trust or not though - eg hand or lieometer ?

Unloaded, I think you said the best you ever got was 20. Mike told me that the stock 24V has such retarded timing that you are lucky to EVER see 20. He said to turn the chip to 5x5 and it will be as good as it gets. He has pulled off 25 so that shows he isn't lieing lol.

Yeah best was 20.2 or something so far. Towing around 12.5-13. Seems to be ok - but then I look at yours and theoretically I wonder why the large diff. I am thinking of tryin to tow on the flats in level 3 as long as I can keep my EGT's in check and see what that does.Mike - whats level do you have your edge comp on when towing ? 2 ?