• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo/Injector balance for towing/EGT control

48 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Yeah, there's a lot of unused real estate in the wheel wells!  4:11s and taller tires sure sounds good to me until you factor is rotational mass, drag from being taller, etc.  And lifting stuff into the bed.  I do like that about my 1995 4WD K2500, the tailgate is still at a reasonable height.

Definitely trade offs with everything. Just have to find the happy medium. 

One more thought on CAI. Application wise, in a cold environment like Alaska, a BHAF sounds like a solid choice. In a warmer climate like Texas, may benefit from a CAI. My S&B can always pull off the top clear cover if in too cold an environment.

• Owner
19 minutes ago, SVALIN said:

One more thought on CAI. Application wise, in a cold environment like Alaska, a BHAF sounds like a solid choice. In a warmer climate like Texas, may benefit from a CAI. My S&B can always pull off the top clear cover if in too cold an environment.

I ran down in Mojave Valley AZ in 110 to 120F. IAT never exceeded 140F. Not even a EGT issue there. Hauled the RV down was kind of stuck the with George Floyd riots. Using a BHAF. Regardless of the cold air intake the intercooler does more work cooling the air than a cold air intake.

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

Stock wheels with 245/75 R16  47RE  4:10 gears

...and 2WD. The top of your tire is above the top of your bumper.  Here's a photo of my truck with POs 285/?/17 tires on it.  The top of the tire is right at or even below the chrome of the bumper.  Look at the body lines, and the top of your rear tire is right in the body "lines".  Mine is well below, even WITH the 285 tires.

KIMG0874.jpg

Edited by LorenS
add photo

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I ran down in Mojave Valley AZ in 110 to 120F. IAT never exceeded 140F. Not even a EGT issue there. Using a BHAF. Regardless of the cold air intake the intercooler does more work cooling the air than a cold air intake.

For sure, its probably negligible gains, maybe 5-10F*. I guess would have to do side by side to see. I think negligible on the cons too though. Most aftermarket manufactures ‘gains’ data is heavy on the lab tampering. Take k&n hp gains they say about their product..

Turbo is probably most important part for cold air my guess? Flow vs psi? My experience is more on the marine side of engines, And boats do a lot too keep the rooms cool, giant intake fans, water cooled turbine housings, oversize aftercooler(/intercooler). The compressor to after-cooler pipe can be over 200F, So the thought of warm air for a diesel is slight odd to me. Depends on conditions.. Sorry if getting off topic.

Any thoughts on the 32” tire with 3.73? Depreciating gains with rotational mass? Thanks.

@IBMobile, how is your truck handling the 4.10s with that small of tire? After rereading, you have an auto.. Lower final I think can handle the 4.10s and not be spinning to the moon..

4x4 with 4.10s, NV5600, and 35s here.. 20220620_202233.jpg.098b6af6913fff34abc868ccdf42835e.jpg

20220620_202256.jpg.0462af163a4c02b94789378f3fe8f8b5.jpg

Does rub on full right lock but thats partly from the control arms and partly due to a piece of the bumper being bent.. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

how is your truck handling the 4.10s with that small of tire?

My truck is used 98% of the time towing my 8000lb 5th wheel with my boat sometimes behind it.  I've logged over 55 k miles in about 10 years with that size Michelin - LTX A/T2 tire.  The first set rotted off.  I tow 60-62 mph and tack 1800-2000 rpm in overdrive.   When going up hills I'll leave it in O/D unless the exhaust temp goes above 1200°F or the transmission downshifts, then I lock out O/D set the cruise control for 55 mph and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I’m running stock gears, auto trans with 265/75/16

What’s the upper safe limit for sustained egt on these 5.9s? I’m only on my second towing trip and getting used to when to shift in/out of overdrive. Im towing a 9500. Lb rv. 

With O/D off the rpm run 2300 ish at 58- 6ph. I have a 5 in exhaust and noise is fine except at 2300-2500 rpm where cab drone gets out of hand. Unfortunately, that’s my towing cruise speed/rpm. Im usually under 1100 egt in overdrive but not sure really where the safe limit is. There’s plenty of power in OD, just want to watch egts.