• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Honey Badger Jeep

• Owner

Well I had a run to head up and look at @Honey Badger Mom's Jeep nothing really wrong just battery is weak security system tripping. Then locking out the ignition. Just unlock the drivers door with the key and its disarmed again as long as you dont leave  the key in the vehicle. There was a family member that told her the catalytic converter was bad, nope there is a hole in the pipe near the catalytic converter. Misinformed and lead to believe big money repairs.

We took a break and ran with @Honey Badger jeep out Red Ridge to pick some mushrooms. Her jeep started to heat up. Fan weren't working. Her past boyfriend hacked up the entire fan circuit to make a wiring nightmare. Did a few modification on the dirt road and presto had at least key on fans.

Drove back to her place.

Now I parked right next to Thor and started working. Test light chr king fuses, found the factory fan plug. Tested got signal. Now I know I need a new pigtail. In the meantime to keep it going added a ring terminal for the ground to negative post. +12V I tucked in on the fan relay on the 87 pin. Fired it up and let idle it would get to the 210°F mark and kick the fan on drop to right about 200°F and shut off. Perfect. 

Found a power steering hose bleeding through the jacket of the hose slowly.

She mention some welding on axle. Found it someone changed the wheel joint and crushed the outer stub some so the clip would fit so they welded the bearing caps in. Now ive got to pull that axle out cut the turnion out and discard the outer stub and replace the wheel joint.

Rear shocks are toast. 

Really she has been misinformed about the amount of work and repairs like needing a whole new front differential. 

• Owner

Yeah not to bad. Just got to dive in and fix the issues one at a time. At least it got cooling fans for now. Like the axle stub that isn't too bad. Smaller version of the truck axle.

What does kind of upset me is people making false claims of big failures when it simple shade tree repairs. Now it just a matter of getting funds together on honey badger side and for me to install said parts. Even worse is fixing a shade tree repair that welding parts together. :wtf:

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

I've seen all kinds of Redneck fixes and they all suck. Not that it can't be fixed but why do half :moon: work? If you damage the yoke then replace it. Like my last screw up i was changing the rear most u-joint on Beast and tore up the one ear on the yoke. I paid 660 dollars to have that yoke cut off a new yoke welded in. Spun balanced and new carrier bearing. Now that's doing it right might cost you but no welding of bearing caps.

• Like 1

• Owner

Ok here we go here I got @Honey Badger Jeep here and got things to do on it. There is a wheel joint in the front passenger side that has a U-joint with a welded bearing cap. I'm not going to point fingers but need to handle that and basically I'm going to order a new outer stub for that side and U-joint from NAPA and replace. There is electrical issues in the passenger doors both front and rear windows and door locks don't work at all. The front end is low on the passenger side and I'm betting money the front coil spring on the passenger side is collapsed some. Few oil leaks and power steering hose leaking. I know this is not a Cummins project but I'll start documentation even on this project because of how popular Jeeps are.

20220623_110307.jpg

20220623_110338.jpg

• Staff

Pre 96's are the best ones. We found a Blue 95 with 97 K on the clock, paid 5 thousand bucks for it. When my twin daughters were done with high school and college they asked me to sell it. Wish I never did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner
5 hours ago, AH64ID said:

4.0’s are great motors, but the do like to leak. I just did the rear main, oil pan, and valve cover gaskets on mine last month. 

My biggest leak right now is the power steering pressure hose which is weep through the jacket of the hose. Other than that not much for oil leaks. 

On 6/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, Doubletrouble said:

Those older ones with the inline 6 were tough little things.

Yeah I would say so being this one has been on the roof once. Little metal damage but still in great shape. Needs TLC on other things like the wheel joint that someone welded in. Yeah I know that 2001 Jeep suppose to have CV joints but this one has a 1997 Jeep front axle with wheel joints. Once past those two issue here soon then its on to fixing minor stuff like plastics and some wiring.