• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thor - New Project Truck

• Owner

Ok gang I know a lot of you wanted to see 3rd Gen articles and action in the 3rd Gen category. Here we go I'm going to start on Thor and getting it fixed up like Beast is making it a good economy shop vehicle with good pulling power. I've got a oil leak on the engine some where so I've got to power wash and hunt that leak down and deal with. I'm going to need a full 4" exhaust system most likely do muffled. I'm going to look into a Cold Air Intake and quality air filter that isn't going to pass dust and dirt being I'm still going to have to roll the dirt roads out here. I've got interior work being the driver seat is blown and the foam is gone on the outsider edge. Thor is going to get the attention for the time. 

Here is what I'm starting with...

20220623_110102.jpg

20220623_110124.jpg

20220623_110134.jpg

20220623_110152.jpg

20220623_110218.jpg

20220623_110243.jpg

• Owner
3 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Does your flat bed cause you to have to fill the tank slowly?

No. Just insert the nozzle put the handle on full tilt and let it pump no issues. 

3 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Mine does otherwise it spews back at me onto my shoes.

That is because the vent line the smaller one is either a low spot that filled with fuel, kinked, or located poorly in the filler neck. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is because the vent line the smaller one is either a low spot that filled with fuel, kinked, or located poorly in the filler neck. 

I forgot... my return line is hooked up to the vent and the neck has a much shallower slope to the tank.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

Another project for this summer is painting the flat bed and cleaning up all the rusty metal and fix all the lighting on the bed. There is some wiring missing and more lighting I want to add to the bed for work lights and fix the marker lights. I'm planning on removing the bed and sanding back the rusty metal and painting the metal. Flip the bed and do the bottom as well. Re-run all the electrical and put a hitch plug near the goose neck hitch. I already have the bumper plug already. I found a product made by Rustoleum which is a bed liner paint that has some really high reviews I'm going to even paint the frame and treat the rear half of the frame and rear axle and parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-248915-32-Ounce-Coating/dp/B0070S7U4Y/

71ogORQNorL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

• Like 1

• Owner

As for today I've been working to clean Thor up and ditch all the un-needed junk, papers, trash, etc. Pressure washed the engine, washed the exterior, washed interior panels, etc. This is just the start of it just trying to roughly clean up the mess and being comfortable driving the truck again. I know the seat fabric is dirty and needing cleaning and the carpets too. At some point I'm going to pull the seats out of the truck and clean the fabric and pull the carpet and power wash the carpet. I'm going to keep the factory steel wheels but I'll paint them again since the paint is peeling off. Like my last post I was looking for paint for the bed and frame being this is salt country and need to deal with the rust that is already well on its way on the frame and bed. 

Once the GoPro camera gets here on Tuesday I'll be full throttle into working on this truck. I'll be video recording everything I'm doing. Just an example I'm going to pull the 2 inch leveling kit out being the bed is about 2 inches lower than the front it look like its squatting most of the time. The thrust angle is wrong also being its got a solid track bar so the axle is not centered. Thor is going to be set up for longevity and economy just like Beast is now. 

Nice outdoor job to do when its finally 76*F for weather bright and sunny. 

16560993392174134017734041826085.jpg

16560993590541845523951828325264.jpg

16560993877085441252251619559292.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Well Thor went down today. I was packed up to go up to Lake Fork to @Honey Badger place to do my weekend project. As I was climbing to New Meadows i had the grid heater light come on and chiming multiple times i got to a safe spot and shut down to look. Pop the hood and there is diesel fuel everywhere. I knew that i blew a injection line. Quickly hopped back in and fired up and got rolling for home. Thor was bleeding pretty bad that I wasted 5 to 7 gallons of fuel getting back home. By the time I got home the front of my  Big Tex trailer was dripping fuel off the front. Well I guess there is going be an article on doing this repair too. :duh:

• Sad 1

• Owner

Yeah it wasn't a good day at all. Just the fact I paid $50 to get me close just get me to McCall ID for fuel by the time I got home I wasted most the fuel all over the highway. When I get back home from here I'll have to get it started one last time and to see which line blew out and order it. Funny feeling its #4 cylinder that everyone complains about.

I have a friend who drove and 07 Cummins for a few years.   The first several months he owned it, I would notice a ticking / knocking sound when he started the engine and let it idle.  He said he couldn't hear it.  I said we should investigate it some time.  Anyway, it took awhile to get around to it.  It was a loose clamp on #4 injector line.  Tightened the clamp - noise gone.  He said, "Oh, it is quieter now".  

I think the #4 injector line or the clamp was upgraded for the 3rd generation common rail engines.

Might have been a bad day for Mopar1973Man, but at least the fuel didn't catch fire.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 1

• Staff
On 6/24/2022 at 10:55 AM, Doubletrouble said:

There is another paint out there for frames called chassis saver. I used it on a '95 chevy rear half. Seemed to work well. I have since sold the truck.

I see that truck every now and then... always has a red dust cloud behind it. :lmao:

• Staff
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So, I've been digging on the web and NAPA I think I'll be calling @dieselautopower to send me a full set of 3rd gen lines. 

If the other lines are good, you can get an OEM #4 injection line, part #5289447, for about $80 plus shipping.  Here are just two sites of many that I found. 

https://s1partscenter.com/brands/cummins/other/5289447?gclid=CjwKCAjwh-CVBhB8EiwAjFEPGabB-qwrPVEfg4s2gW8DqTB7PYGiQJfcnEgYwU4wI3d1DzqvuCJ5nhoC-cQQAvD_BwE

https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sEiDQAU/cummins-injector-fuel-supply-tube-5289447?ppc_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjwh-CVBhB8EiwAjFEPGVRQsPata6N0QYh5OAuLlubg8rgPi1WVebPNBejMELgXqMCUj9GzsBoCwsMQAvD_BwE