• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stock Fuel Filter

• Owner
On 6/24/2022 at 2:20 PM, Andyba20 said:

@Mopar1973Man is it possible they are seeing higher fuel temps bc they are confidently running their tanks lower after installing the draw straw?

No. Even today I ran to town with just 1/16 of a tank and still only 110*F fuel temps being the hot fuel isn't near the draw straw fuel temps are still lower. 

• Staff

The 33585XE is the Wix 7um filter, but when you look at the specs it’s 7um nominal. It’s a 8um absolute filter. 

That’s the kind of false advertising Wix does on diesel fuel filters and it’s ridiculous, IMO. It’s the same filter they have for the CR 5.9’s, which require a 7um absolute filter… not that they have warranties anymore, but the wix filter didn’t meet the min spec for warranty, but eluded to it with their nominal rating. 

Anyhow, thats my Wix rant. On a 2nd Gen the 8um is plenty of filtration. That being said the Baldwin PF7977 is the best filter for the stock housing. 5um absolute with better than OEM f/w separation and dirt holding capabilities. 

• Owner

This is why the double stacking of the AirDog filter which is 3um and the the NAPA/Wix filter which does show a 7um rating. Regardless that 7um filter picks up a lot that the 3um doesn't. Last filter change the stock filter was nearly plugged tight and dropping fuel pressure. Pulled it out and the filter was black. Mark my renter picked up the old black filter blew on the hole and the black fuel ran out of it. I consider it a good filter when both the AirDog and stock filters go 50k to 60k miles before change. I admit I went way too long this time and the stock filter plugged up.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is why the double stacking of the AirDog filter which is 3um and the the NAPA/Wix filter which does show a 7um rating. Regardless that 7um filter picks up a lot that the 3um doesn't. Last filter change the stock filter was nearly plugged tight and dropping fuel pressure. Pulled it out and the filter was black. Mark my renter picked up the old black filter blew on the hole and the black fuel ran out of it. I consider it a good filter when both the AirDog and stock filters go 50k to 60k miles before change. I admit I went way too long this time and the stock filter plugged up.

I've read this before from you and while I understand filtering (I think), if I'm reading this correctly, you have a 3um filter first, then a 7um filter second. So theoretically, the 3um filter should only pass 1,2 and possibly 3um particles through it. Everything larger should be trapped in the 3um filter. The 7um filter downstream would only be catching the particles that passed through the smaller filter just by chance. As the particles would be small enough to pass through the filter media except some get caught in the media by chance contact.

If you are seeing a significant amount of capture in the 7um filter, why not run 3um in both?

Also, do you run the same filtration all year?