• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quad Turbo Timer

Curious on what people use for the iQuad Turbo Timer setting - minutes or temp and what values? I currently set mine for 330 degrees. Lately on hot summer days (like now) it takes a good amount of time to get to temp to shut off the ignition.  Not sure what (or if) there are optimum values to cool the turbo down. Thanks 

• Owner

I'm using 350°F for cool down. Little trick for manual trans just leave your exhaust brake off and decelerate using the gears you can suck the temp out of the engine. Makes it so the timer isn't used much or have instant shut down. With my cool EGTs very rare indeed to wait much for cooldown.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

One thing I noticed on my truck is the turbo will cool down to 350-360 pretty quick, unless I have the A/C on, then it struggles to drop under 400

Yeah that's for sure. It was a rare 90 degree yesterday on the west side of Washington state so I had it at full blast. 

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Added load of the A/C pump running then the added heat of the A/C condenser on the intercooler. 

Exactly. I mentioned it as a heads up to turn the A/C off if using a turbo timer so cool down time will be much shorter.

Question on shut down....

If I'm getting fuel or stopping at the post office, quick stops, I shut down at 390 rather than wait for 350-360. Five or so minutes later I fire up and go. Not running synthetic oil, how likely am I to be getting bad deposits in the turbo? What is considered too hot for shutdown and how fast does the damage happen? In my scenario, is five or so minutes doing anything bad?

Those temps are pre turbo not post turbo. I do have both.

Edited by Max Tune

remember that stock did not have a turbo timer, if it was a huge issue there would be something to prevent shutdown.  as long as you aren't towing a load, pulling into a gas station and keying off as you come to a rolling stop I doubt it will be an issue.  390* vs 350* isn't going to matter.

However for situations where I did not have to turn off the truck, gas station, I often just set the turbo timer to lower than my idle temp and let it run without a key.  lock up the truck and go do my thing.   assuming I wasn't going to be letting it idle for 10 minutes or whatever

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

Personally, I think there is too much emphasis placed on turbo cooldown.  An example of where turbo cooldown is needed is where one might be towing up a grade with the engine under a heavy load for several minutes.  Suddenly, traffic comes to a stop and is going to remain stopped for awhile.  In this case, a 5-10 minute cooldown is wise, not just for the turbo, but for the engine as well.  You would do the same with your car's gasoline powered engine.

The rest of the time - probably 95% of the time - by the time one pulls into their destination (store, fuel station, home driveway) the cooldown has already occurred. 

4 hours ago, Me78569 said:

remember that stock did not have a turbo timer, if it was a huge issue there would be something to prevent shutdown.

Very good point (and they don't come with an EGT gauge, either).   If a stock truck and a 500 hp truck were pulling an equal load at 65 mph, they are essentially using the same horsepower (neither one near their rated horsepower) and generating the same amount of heat.  By the time both trucks exited a freeway and arrived at a fueling station they will very likely have cooled down sufficiently to shut down the engine.

Years ago I was a shop supervisor for the Copper Mountain Resort vehicle maintenance department in Colorado.  The International truck used by the purchasing department was powered by a DTA466 diesel engine.  There was an EGT gauge in the dash.  This truck made about 3 trips to Denver each week.  Occasionally, we started getting complaints from businesses in Denver about this truck idling for an hour or so in front of a business during the summer months.  After talking with the three different drivers, one driver said the EGT's never fell below 300°  and he didn't want to damage the turbo.  He told the other drivers to let the engine idle to save turbo.  We instructed him and the other two drivers to shut the engine off right away at businesses and educated them on the rare occurrence when idling for a few minutes before shutdown would be necessary.  Then..., we removed the EGT gauge.

I am not expecting to change anyone's thoughts on this topic, but I like to provide information as to why something is done in a certain manner.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
I wrote "expecting to change", I meant to write "not expecting to change".

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

remember that stock did not have a turbo timer, if it was a huge issue there would be something to prevent shutdown.

Yeah but w/stock there was also no provided EGT gauge or fuel pressure gauge etc which are universally accepted now as must have things for safe operation. 

• Like 2

I agree with what you say John and as you say 99% of the time 

As you know I'm from a heavy plant background and a dumptruck hauling 100 tons up a haul road steep enough to tip some of the load off the back when the trans changes gear and turbo/ engine cool down is key to long engine life, with my truck I just carry on with what I see every day hence leaving my truck to cool to below  280f

Turbo's on well looked after cat dumptrucks get tossed in the bin at 12k to 15k hrs, water pumps/ fan drives/ transmissions/ hydraulic pumps at the same time or thereabouts

Stupid people run those parts till they fail :)

• Like 1

• Owner
2 hours ago, Tractorman said:

If a stock truck and a 500 hp truck were pulling an equal load at 65 mph, they are essentially using the same horsepower (neither one near their rated horsepower) and generating the same amount of heat.  By the time both trucks exited a freeway and arrived at a fueling station they will very likely have cooled down sufficiently to shut down the engine.

Not always true. One of my first mods to Beast was a set of DiPricol gauges. First haul I did was over Horsebend Grade  which is 7% and the truck was pure stock yet. I had the cruise set for 60 MPH which is speed limit of the 7% grade and the EGT's was climbing over 1,400*F in stock form. Stock form without any tuner or injectors I would see 600*F after coming off the highway and stop for fuel.

Even today with my last trip to Bridgeport, CA I was pulling the RV and heading up hill even with my tune the EGT's was still 1,000*F easy. But even when I can to a stop the EGT's could be as high as 500*F when I stopped for fuel. That was 17,500 pound total weight pulling up to 7,500 feet of elevation. 

Basically the same but running EGT's are much lower with my current set up but the heat soak of the cast iron takes time to cool off. 

1 hour ago, Hutch24v said:

Yeah but w/stock there was also no provided EGT gauge or fuel pressure gauge etc which are universally accepted now as must have things for safe operation. 

There are 1000's and 1000's of %100 stock 2nd gens with no turbo timer, egt guage, or fuel pressure gauge that run fine and have no issue or no more issues than would be expected on a 25 year old truck.  The diesel community likes to mod things because that's what we do :)    Nothing wrong with the community having gauges and modding, but we are the minority. 

Point is worrying about 300*f shutdown temp vs 450*f shutdown temp likely doesn't matter, we just like to nit pick because that's who we are.  I bet the body would fall off the truck before the shutdown temp would make a difference.  

Again nothing wrong with preferring something or whatever, but modders tend to make a bigger deal out of stuff than need be.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The diesel community likes to mod things because that's what we do :)    Nothing wrong with the community having gauges and modding, but we are the minority. 

100% agree. that's why we're on here splitting hairs! Keeps me sane for the most part. 

• Like 4

• Owner

Well when my parking brake failed on Beast I was skipping the cooldown a lot of times and managed to kill the bearings in the HX35/40 Hybrid I've got to the point the compressor wheel was rubbing. Basically you want the turbo cool enough that the oil is no where near flash point which creates coke on the bearings and eventually the turbo bearing fail. Yup this one bit me for sure. 

I've been watching the show on Paramount Network, Yellowstone (it's a kick a** show) and I must say all the fine Dodge Cummins 2500 and 3500 trucks are beautiful but, I was cringing several times when the hot moments in certain episodes where the CTD's were shut down quickly as the cowboys bailed out for action. Yeah, it's only TV but, I really enjoy the show. BTW...wish I could find a Beth Dutton some where...she'd most likely kill me but, wow, what a ride! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Well when my parking brake failed on Beast I was skipping the cooldown a lot of times and managed to kill the bearings in the HX35/40 Hybrid I've got to the point the compressor wheel was rubbing. Basically you want the turbo cool enough that the oil is no where near flash point which creates coke on the bearings and eventually the turbo bearing fail. Yup this one bit me for sure. 

What is the flash point of 15-40 rotella or Valvoline diesel oil? Does diesel oil have a higher flash point or resist heat soak better than a same weight gas oil?

9 minutes ago, W-T said:

I've been watching the show on Paramount Network, Yellowstone (it's a kick a** show) and I must say all the fine Dodge Cummins 2500 and 3500 trucks are beautiful but, I was cringing several times when the hot moments in certain episodes where the CTD's were shut down quickly as the cowboys bailed out for action. Yeah, it's only TV but, I really enjoy the show. BTW...wish I could find a Beth Dutton some where...she'd most likely kill me but, wow, what a ride! 

I agree on all points 🤣😂🤣😂👍

• Haha 1

• Staff
2 hours ago, Max Tune said:

Does diesel oil have a higher flash point or resist heat soak better than a same weight gas oil?

Gas "Motor" oil has about the same flash point as diesel motor oil.   

Information from safety data sheets.         

Refiner                    Oil Type                            Flash point

Shell                 Rotella T6 5w-40                        435° F

Chevron            Delo SDE 15w-40                       399° F

Chevron            Delo XLE  15w-40                       399° F

Valvoline           Synthetic Diesel 5w-40             >390°F

Valvoline           Motor oil 10w-30                      >390°F

Valvoline           Synthetic motor oil 10w-30      >390°F

• Like 2