• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quad Turbo Timer

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That being said I would consider dropping to 300°F for safety. Seems like I better fix my parking brakes. I tend to cheat and tap the throttle cancel the turbo timer and shift into first gear.

Yup I'm guilty. :duh:

my truck would not idle at 300*f regardless of how long it sat there.  350* was about as low as it could go.

• Like 1

Im old school when it comes to diesel heat soaked eng. Ran heavy equip for 28 years and we never shut them down without idling at least 5 min. I own a hay business and here in Tx its HOT, I let my turbo eng idle for about 5-10 min, while natural aspirated eng ill let idle 5 min. and shut down. Im in the habit so much I let my gas eng idle a bit before shut down. I may be wasting time but old habits are hard to break.

• Like 1

I'm the same, 32 years operating heavy equipment. I never gave a thought to cool down a gas engine except when it was turbocharged. It was always pounded into me you have to let the turbo cool down as it's the part of the engine that is abused during operation. The engine itself is running at a semi steady temp that really doesn't require any cool down. Old habits die hard.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:24 AM, Me78569 said:

my truck would not idle at 300*f regardless of how long it sat there.  350* was about as low as it could go.

About same here, except for when engine is cold to warming up. Automatic in gear idling at stops is around 450*f. Both with RV275 and 7x.010, does that sound right?

On 6/28/2022 at 4:06 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm using 350°F for cool down. Little trick for manual trans just leave your exhaust brake off and decelerate using the gears you can suck the temp out of the engine. Makes it so the timer isn't used much or have instant shut down. With my cool EGTs very rare indeed to wait much for cooldown.

Your accelerated cool down via deceleration with only gears pro tip works like a charm. Things get rather warm after making the trip up the mountain a 2200 ft altitude change in about 4 miles. The road is very steep!  Thanks for that!

• Like 1