• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil leak after vp44 replacement

2 hours ago, DeepEastTexas2Gen said:

My cover was warped about 1/8”. I installed the Felpro gasket the first time but Dodd not use any sealant. 
Ran about a week and blew out. That is when I checked for warping. Used the same gasket but used a sealant AND put the 2 1 1/4”X5” plates to add pressure on the lip of the cover. 
Solved my oil leak. 

Okay thanks I will look at getting one of the gaskets as well. Did you find a good place to purchase them 

Some stuff I work on can be done 1000's of hours work with no speedy sleeve available or the machine needs to work "NOW"..... always the same with owners/operators it could have sat idle for weeks but as soon field service arrive to start a job it's needed yesterday

if no sleeve available or no time to wait to get one just instal the seal at a slightly different depth to where the old one was thus placing the seal lips both dust and oil in a slightly different place, most successful I did was an old Cat D8 dozer on a power station coal pile, the owners guys couldn't get the crank pulley nut undone so a huge pair of stilsons facing backwards over the crank damper and a 5ft breaker bar, once the damper is out of the way the crank was badly scored but luckily the timing cover was ally and had just a long bore for the seal with no counterbore to set the seal against, just measured with a DTI where the old one sat and set the new one different but the same all the way round.

On my timing cover I used black RTV

Don't forget to check the dowel pin when you take the timing cover off if you didn't last time

15 hours ago, wil440 said:

Some stuff I work on can be done 1000's of hours work with no speedy sleeve available or the machine needs to work "NOW"..... always the same with owners/operators it could have sat idle for weeks but as soon field service arrive to start a job it's needed yesterday

if no sleeve available or no time to wait to get one just instal the seal at a slightly different depth to where the old one was thus placing the seal lips both dust and oil in a slightly different place, most successful I did was an old Cat D8 dozer on a power station coal pile, the owners guys couldn't get the crank pulley nut undone so a huge pair of stilsons facing backwards over the crank damper and a 5ft breaker bar, once the damper is out of the way the crank was badly scored but luckily the timing cover was ally and had just a long bore for the seal with no counterbore to set the seal against, just measured with a DTI where the old one sat and set the new one different but the same all the way round.

On my timing cover I used black RTV

Don't forget to check the dowel pin when you take the timing cover off if you didn't last time

Okay sounds good will do. I did check the dowel pin and it looked okay it didn’t back out any. Any recommendations on what to do with the dowel pin 

7 hours ago, connors said:

Okay sounds good will do. I did check the dowel pin and it looked okay it didn’t back out any. Any recommendations on what to do with the dowel pin

I just got a large penny washer trimmed it so it would fit.... it needs to be a bit egg shaped, there is a bolt right next to the dowel pin just remove the bolt and put the penny washer on it so it covers the dowel pin to stop it coming out, while you are in there check the torque on the timing case bolts, 3 or 4 of mine were loose I can't remember the torque on those though