• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd Gen Articles

• Staff

What are his steering issues? Wondering? Death wobble? Just preventative maintenance?

Steering is very important with these 2nd gens, they seem to have a mind of their own for some, for others it's death wobble, maybe touch on some of the different common problems while you go through the steering?

• Owner

Here you go this is my next project here to work on...

As you can see I work on more that my own trucks and want to share the experiences with every job I'm going to be doing. Like I said the GoPro and me are going to be good friends really quick.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

Great! I read your previous drawstraw article on the AD. I have a FASS and it will run out at 1/4 Tank if going uphill. So something Im planning on redoing. Extra video would be really helpful for the measurements!

• Owner
2 minutes ago, SVALIN said:

Great! I read your previous drawstraw article on the AD. I have a FASS and it will run out at 1/4 Tank if going uphill. So something Im planning on redoing. Extra video would be really helpful for the measurements!

Not a problem when the Dodge rolls in the shop all that will be shown in the video. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
37 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

Anything about an AC recharge or repair/troubleshooting.

Man that is happening on a daily affair here but no Dodge's... I've got a Ford (car) coming tomorrow morning for a recharge. Just got off the phone with the owner.

39 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

Ring and pinion/differential work.

That's a tough one even I'm clueless on doing gear work. I'll admit my shortcoming. Anyone else willing to jump in and build an article for this?

40 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

Electrical troubleshooting.

That's something I got a huge talent for. I can see about doing basics for now checking fuses and relays. Then do some quick videos on doing voltage drop measurements. The typical ohm testing of sensor leads and such. Not a problem.

• Like 1

Even a simple thing like checking coolant with a multimeter. I've read and think I understand as it sounds simple enough, but seeing it done would be huge.

I think you've opened a can of worms here🤣😂🤣😂👍👍👍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:
7 hours ago, Max Tune said:

Ring and pinion/differential work.

That's a tough one even I'm clueless on doing gear work. I'll admit my shortcoming. Anyone else willing to jump in and build an article for this?

Ring and Pinion is not hard it's a time consuming job to get right especially if new parts are fitted and specialized tools are needed, for instance our trucks need a spreader to get the centre section out it either fits into the 2 holes on the rear of the casing either side of the centre or you can build a tool to sort of squash the casing a little from top to bottom either way without something to expand the case it ain't coming out, also a good DTI and various sized bearing and seal drivers.

I've done several 9 1/4's which are chocolate and fitted in the 1500's, they have little 1/2 moon hard steel cups that sit over the ears of the limited slip plates to protect the casing as these ears move back and forward slightly, these break and drop out sometimes ending up in the gears, this stops the rear end dead, I have several dead gearsets where this has happened.

Never took pictures of diffs I've done though

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Here you go this is my next project here to work on...

As you can see I work on more that my own trucks and want to share the experiences with every job I'm going to be doing. Like I said the GoPro and me are going to be good friends really quick.

These videos are looking good. Great work.  That camera is the right way to go.  I'm looking forward to more videos.

One pointer: on videos like the "Blown #4 injector line" one for shots in the motor it would be good to point a flashlight in there because the exposure is too dark to see the fuel coming out.

• Staff
6 hours ago, wil440 said:

Ring and Pinion is not hard it's a time consuming job to get right especially if new parts are fitted and specialized tools are needed,

I did a lot of Dana 30, 1030, and 1031 differentials in Volvos.  If you are just replacing the bearings or spider gears, it's not hard but replacing the ring and pion can be a real PITA.   

4 minutes ago, leety said:

it would be good to point a flashlight in there because the exposure is too dark to see the fuel coming out.

Mike needs to hire a gaffer.

• Like 1

• Owner

No I need to learn the limitation of the camera which is very new to me and only shot a few videos. Light limitations I'll catch up on but if the camera is on my forehead I can't see the preview screen at all. This why the second clip after reviewing the video I added the clup on the end using a selfie stick to reach that point with stick my head or hands near the fuel.

Like I found out still shot photos are not as good as my Samsung S21 cellphone which does a much better photo compared to the GoPro which was fuzzy looking compared to Samsung you can see the texture on the metal surface.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

3 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I did a lot of Dana 30, 1030, and 1031 differentials in Volvos.  If you are just replacing the bearings or spider gears, it's not hard but replacing the ring and pion can be a real PITA.   

Yes due to the design of a ring and pinion one small change to one or the other has a huge affect on the other as far as contact patch is concerned

But as you know if you've done diffs all it is is pinion in/out and crownwheel left/right and bearing preload on both :)  You either put it together twice and jobs a good un or 100 times and it still ain't right, it's certainly a pretty good brain workout........ sorry couldn't spell excersise :lmao:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Mike needs to hire a gaffer.

or he could use a headlight with the gopro for better visibility in the nooks and crannies

Edited by leety

• Owner

Most of ot is learning the limitations of the camera like I was experimenting with the photo function on the GoPro and found the photo function is limited to scenery photos but close up photo turn fuzzy. My Samsung S21 did much better for close up photos. 

Same for lighting I figured the aperture was going to automatically open more and handle a low light condition but it didn't.