• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Down pipe question for upcoming new turbo install

I'm finally getting motivated to install a new ATS T3 3-pc pulse exh manifold and ATS Aurora turbo on to my 2002 that I've had on hand for a while. Goal is to have a better spooling turbo for towing and a more durable/efficient manifold. Going to install the 2 things as a pair. Question is how to deal with the downpipe to the new ATS turbo. Currently my setup has a 4" downpipe connected with a flange coupling to a stock exhaust elbow to a HX35/Fleece turbo. What I' m anticipating is a few visits to a local exhaust shop to cut off the existing downpipe and then re-install the new down pipe that shipped with the aurora and then hope there's correct clearance to connect up to the new turbo as I don't have the welding tools at home.  Have to deal with the HX40 v-band coupling and new clearances to the new turbo, and of course dealing with a truck that's temporarily not drivable without a exhaust. Kind of an unmotivating factor to this upgrade thinking about this part of the process.  Anyone dealt with something similar to this? 

• Owner

Shouldn't be too bad for swapping the downpipe only if there isn't anything rusted badly. A little bit of torch heat to expand the out pipe sleeve and it should let go and slide out. If the clamp was really crushed into the pipe then its a new animal now and can be a really pain in the :moon:.  I typically just clamp enough that nothing is going to move and not to crush the pipe setting the clamps. I was able to un-do the clamps on Beast muffler and knock it out of the pipe with a 2x4 and hammer in about 10 minutes. Then stuffed it on the the open end of Thors exhaust the the previous owner hacked off at the back of the cab. :duh:

Yeah minimal rust on the existing downpipe and whole exh system for that matter. Don't own a acetylene torch - might be time I acquired one! I need a larger workshop/garage too. 

Going to document this little upgrade and post it here in case anyone's interested. 

• Like 2

• Owner
2 minutes ago, Hutch24v said:

Going to document this little upgrade and post it here in case anyone's interested. 

Please do that's why the site was designed the way it is so all people can contribute to the site with different articles on how they do there own projects. Even if someone else has done the project you can document new tricks to improve on older articles.

• Like 1