• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How hot are you?

15 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Our rates have been steady. They may be going up just a little. We pay about a monthly average of 110 bucks a month.

Are you self sufficient in oil/gas? We used to be but cheaper imports from Russia and other countries made further developments in the North Sea not cost effective until now plus the green fools got fracking banned here.

Just heard on the radio news that over a 1/4 of people in the UK will not turn on their heating this winter 

• Sad 1

• Staff
6 hours ago, wil440 said:

Are you self sufficient in oil/gas? We used to be but cheaper imports from Russia and other countries made further developments in the North Sea not cost effective until now plus the green fools got fracking banned here.

Just heard on the radio news that over a 1/4 of people in the UK will not turn on their heating this winter 

We would if it weren't for the green bean President we have. We do live near the largest hydroelectric Dam perhaps in the US. Bonnieville Power on the Columbia River. It's a huge dam that makes a beautiful lake behind it. There is an amazing bridge going over the lake called 'Bridge of the Gods'. We primarily heat with wood, sometimes use small room heaters.

45 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

We would if it weren't for the green bean President we have. We do live near the largest hydroelectric Dam perhaps in the US. Bonnieville Power on the Columbia River. It's a huge dam that makes a beautiful lake behind it. There is an amazing bridge going over the lake called 'Bridge of the Gods'. We primarily heat with wood, sometimes use small room heaters.

I would imagine wood is plentiful where you are,  not so here but enough waste wood at the moment although I expect that will change but not any use for all houses as newer built rubbish don't have chimneys and the estates they are on you cannot burn wood/coal anyway.

The greens have even got gas boilers banned in new houses from 2025 I think 

• Sad 1

• Staff
4 hours ago, wil440 said:

I would imagine wood is plentiful where you are,  not so here but enough waste wood at the moment although I expect that will change but not any use for all houses as newer built rubbish don't have chimneys and the estates they are on you cannot burn wood/coal anyway.

The greens have even got gas boilers banned in new houses from 2025 I think 

We have forest around us mainly to keep the privacy which is important. In back of me there is about 1 or 2 thousand acres of timber land privately owned. I have permission to go on there anytime but can't cut firewood. Amazing place with no one else around. So quiet when no planes fly over. Anytime you drive into the woods the temps are always cooler. Sometimes as much as 10 degrees cooler than just 20 mins away.

@wil440 Did most of your Oak trees get harvested from large ship building back in the days of square rigger sailing ships?

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

@wil440 Did most of your Oak trees get harvested from large ship building back in the days of square rigger sailing ships?

This might help answer the question.

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2022/02/the-royal-navys-war-on-trees/

81°F/27.2°C right now but forecasted to be 103°F/39.4°C by Sunday.

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Thanks Dan, interesting read. As many as 6,000 mature 3/400 year old trees to build one naval warship. Devastation to the UK's forests reached far beyond its borders importing from many other countries to maintain the worlds' most superior Navy.

10 hours ago, JAG1 said:

We have forest around us mainly to keep the privacy which is important. In back of me there is about 1 or 2 thousand acres of timber land privately owned. I have permission to go on there anytime but can't cut firewood. Amazing place with no one else around. So quiet when no planes fly over. Anytime you drive into the woods the temps are always cooler. Sometimes as much as 10 degrees cooler than just 20 mins away.

I actually live in the National Forest just not to much linked up forest, was grand gov idea maybe 20 years ago, I do have a pretty good area next to me one wooded area going right up to Grace Dieu ruins which would be right up your street for metal detecting. Also on the edge of Charnwood forest in the other direction and sherwood forest (Robin Hood) a few miles north  but no wood for collecting 

Thanks @IBMobile for the link and yes I guess a lot of trees ended up in ships and I guess in houses of old.

@Mopar1973Man I guess 40 miles is not so bad, well better than here anyway.

I am pretty lucky as son is a landscaper so he occasionally fells smaller trees which he drops off here 

• Staff
6 hours ago, wil440 said:

I actually live in the National Forest just not to much linked up forest, was grand gov idea maybe 20 years ago, I do have a pretty good area next to me one wooded area going right up to Grace Dieu ruins which would be right up your street for metal detecting. Also on the edge of Charnwood forest in the other direction and sherwood forest (Robin Hood) a few miles north  but no wood for collecting 

Thanks @IBMobile for the link and yes I guess a lot of trees ended up in ships and I guess in houses of old.

@Mopar1973Man I guess 40 miles is not so bad, well better than here anyway.

I am pretty lucky as son is a landscaper so he occasionally fells smaller trees which he drops off here 

What amazing history so close to you wil440, interesting as all get out. Why are you wasting time working? LOL

MoparMan, when the wood is on your own property you spend a lot more time cleaning up. Where as on forest service property you can cut and leave.

15 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

What amazing history so close to you wil440, interesting as all get out. Why are you wasting time working? LOL

MoparMan, when the wood is on your own property you spend a lot more time cleaning up. Where as on forest service property you can cut and leave.

http://gracedieupriory.org.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Dieu_Priory

Heading back home today. Been camping at Oceano state park. Highs in the mid 60’s lows mid 50’s. God I love the coast. Did some deep sea fishing out of Morro Bay. Won jackpot with my catch. 18.75 lbs.  Been here since Friday. Going back to the valley to  102 degrees. Supposed to reach 110 by Sunday. 😢 The day of our rib off at the lodge. 

55FA87DB-D56B-4C6C-A479-6059D7D5E2A2.jpeg

• Like 3

• Staff

@ThreadzyNice fish! Is that Sea Bass? I wouldn't know but, I bet it put up a sporting fight.:thumb1:

Thank you for the links @wil440 that was a good taste of what things are like there. Most of our history started in the 1840's, far more recent by comparison. There was a couple indians in the 1850's that got caught stealing in Oregon city and were taken out to our area and hung and buried. No one knows exactly where but was somewhere out where we are. I don't think I want to find them. When we dug for the foundation to our house we found one lonely brick down about 2 feet. I was very strange.

Edited by JAG1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

@Threadzy, That's going to be great eatin' for sure.

We were very warm last nite up till midnight. Our daytime high yesterday reached 97 in my area. That's hot for late August. Now this morning you can feel marine air pushing in from the coast. It's very weak so it may mean about 5 degrees cooler today. We have had an all time record heat for the month of August and it is unusual to not have much ocean air cooling like we used to get almost every nite around here.