• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Article - Engine Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner
On 8/19/2022 at 11:13 PM, Caleb Hardy said:

Is removing the pick up necessary?

Yes. You can't get the pan out because the pick up tube blocks passage of the pan. 

On 8/19/2022 at 11:13 PM, Caleb Hardy said:

Or did you do it so you didn’t have to lift the engine as high?

You have to lift the engine quite high to get enough room to slip the pan out. 

After figuring this all out it was super easy. Jack up the frame, jack stand the frame so the front axle hangs free. Pull the two bolts out the engine mount just jack up the engine by the dampener or use a cherry picker and lift at the engine ring. Lift as high as possible. Remove the pan slide it over to one side remove the pick up tube and drop it in the pan. The pan will slide out the back. In my case it fell out by itself. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Caleb Hardy said:

I was wondering if there was something I should have replaced while it was removed.

Not really unless your wanting to do bearings on the connecting rods and main bearings. 

You'll end up removing the pickup tube anyways when you install the new gasket most of the pan gaskets have the oil pickup gasket in the corner and you can cut it free, to install it separately. 

I pulled the pan on my 98.5 this spring when I did a cam upgrade.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to fuss with strings and stoppers fishing in new tappets, so I pulled the pan which made it super easy swapping tappets out.  After pulling the stock cam it was kind of fun popping the old tappets off the dowels and letting them hit the floor! I then pushed new tappets in place and held them while my kid shoved the dowel sticks in from above.  Then slipping the new cam in was easy too, my kid guided it in from the front while I supported the end from underneath and guided it through the cam bores.   It's a tossup which method is easier overall, but I think dropping the pan does save some hassle and lets you take a look at the lower end.

• Like 1