• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Factory Heated Seat Replacement

My drivers side seat heater has never worked, I get the flash indicating a break in the circuit somewhere. I try to keep everything factory so I started working on fixing it yesterday. I couldn’t remember why I hadn’t done it sooner. Well I’m a jackass…now I remember why I never tackled this project. Long story, I’ve ordered a new bottom seat cover. Does anyone know of an aftermarket heat pad that will work with the factory module? Any suggestions on salvaging the oem pad or should I just suck it up and install an aftermarket pad with a new aftermarket switch? 

11C23DF2-A00D-4064-8C91-CB8B362288F4.jpeg

90FA358B-6F09-41D7-8D0A-4A0A8857CC5A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Andyba20 said:

Thanks for that. You think the Geno’s cushion is worth the $100 premium over the Amazon cushion? 

I haven't tried an Amazon cushion so can't say definitively. I can say that after I installed the @Genos Garage seat cushion and sat in the seat I completely stopped thinking about the money and had a smile on my face! The next 300 mile drive I did reconfirmed it was money well spent.

• Like 1

Not much use to you as I'm in the UK. 

I had the same problem on a Volvo A35 6 wheel artic dump truck.  Seat heat pad was shorting out, and when it did there was no seat air suspension, volvo option was a new complete seat at close to £2k

Got a generic 24v pad from a company called RS here and wired it in, lasted over 2 years of over 12hrs a day being sat on and cost less than £30.

Replaced with another and still ok now.

Ideally replace with one that's close on the circuit resistance and for 12v

• Haha 1

• Staff

That's cool. Love hearing stuff like that :thumb1:.

My 01 had a shorted wire going to the heat pad. Had to carefully cut the foam away. I guessed that the wire gauge is too small for the amps so I cut out the shorted wire going to the pad and soldered in new heavier gauge wire with shrink tube over the joints.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff
On 9/11/2022 at 10:43 AM, IBMobile said:

I pulled my seat heaters out when the seat bottoms were recovered. Don't need them in southern California.

I still have them in a bag somewhere.

its already fried from his wife everyday :thumb1:

• Staff
3 hours ago, Andyba20 said:

@IBMobile if you happen to stumble across your heaters/wiring harness’s can you look and tell me where these red/blk wires are going or what they are terminating into? 

Will do.  I'll even take pics of them and post them here.

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

its already fried from his wife everyday :thumb1:

Ya, my wife's so hot she uses a smoke alarm as a cooking timer.

• Haha 1

On the subject of seat cushions mentioned earlier, i just replaced the driver side along with the cloth seat cover. you can get a less expensive cushion on eBay than Genos. I think i paid $55 and its very nice. I still see them for sale now on there. However, I do recommend paying a a bit more for a good seat cover if the cloth OEM is toasted. My OEM cover was full of holes. Bought a US made high quality version also from eBay. Don't recommend one from China. 

• Staff
14 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Mine has the vinyl seats. I've looked for a matching replacement but have yet to find one. Probably go with seat covers eventually. 

In my 92 dodge Cummins with a bench seat I bought real cowhides and had them made into a seat cover with the brands showing and Daniel Boone style stitching using leather strips for the stitching. It was cool and the tanned hides where full thick leather nice and soft. Nothing was factory about that seat cover and lasted years.

Come think of it, if I let MoparMan sit in it he'd probably wear his coon skin hat :lmao:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1