• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dually wheels, rear valve stem alignment.

• Staff

Ok, so I've been pondering this for a minute and thought I'd toss it out here. 

My truck (2001 3500) has steel wheels with 7 hand holes in each wheel.

I know the common practice is to offset the valve stems 180° from each other. On my wheels if I do this the inner stem is hiding behind the steel in between holes of the outer wheel and very difficult to get to. 

I looked in the owners manual and it really didn't say much at all about this.

If the tires are balanced separately before mounting to the axle would it really matter where the valve stwms are oriented? ( assuming the 180° offset is for balance purposes)

I'd like to be able to easily get to both the inner and outer to adjust pressures to the state of load on the truck. 

Thanks

Edited by Doubletrouble

• Staff

Alligator caps is what the srem caps are called. You can check, inflate or deflate through the valve stem cap. 

I'm going to rotate my outer wheel to line up the inner stem with a hand hole so I can get in there with a gauge or tire inflator chuck and install alligator caps on the inner stem. I'll let everyone know how this works out. 

• 1 month later...